Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thyroid misery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Check your Vit D, next time u do bloods, mine was low so was hubbie & 2 kids.

Did you feel any better after treating it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Did you feel any better after treating it ?

Overall yes, not sure if it has anything to do with the vit d but the sun and heat help's lift your mood and energy anyway I think. Suffer with cronic back pain aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

missloulou wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have just received a note from my pharmacist that Neomercazole is no longer available, has anybody else heard this? He says he may be able to supply an alternative but does anybody have any ideas why Neomercazole isn't available anymore?

It's a manufacturing/supply issue. It's not discontinued and should be back in the next couple of months. There are unlicensed versions which can be imported so you shouldn't be left short, you may have to pay extra though, or pay the difference if you have med card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I felt much much better when I started taking vitamin D. Well worth it. My levels were low too; most people could probably do with supplementing with Vit D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I take 5000 IU of Vitamin D daily and have been for ages. Have added selenium, magnesium and Vitamin C in, as well as about to start messing with iodine, lol.

Ah....the wonders of aging and dealing with Thyroid issues.

On another note, I have been taking NDT now for almost 8 weeks and I feel much better. Haven't lost much weight, but mentally and emotionally I am almost as good as new, and my face seems to have regained its old shape, the awful bags under my eyes have gone. Have to go to GP tomorrow and am still weighing as to whether or not confess to not taking my Eltroxin, but will play that by ear ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

I have an underactive thyroid and was diagnosed in 2006. Dont know why i have it as its not on either side of my parents families. I am on eltroxin 125 mg every day.
    Just a question in relation to gettin the blood tests done. Usually I take my tablet first thing 7am and the. Get blood tests done around 8.30am. Should I be waiting and takin my tablets after the blood tests? Thanks.

Blingy wrote: »
    I have an underactive thyroid and was diagnosed in 2006. Dont know why i have it as its not on either side of my parents families. I am on eltroxin 125 mg every day.
    Just a question in relation to gettin the blood tests done. Usually I take my tablet first thing 7am and the. Get blood tests done around 8.30am. Should I be waiting and takin my tablets after the blood tests? Thanks.

I would wait until after your blood test Blingy, but I guess it's up to the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'd take your tablets as you do every day. You don't produce enough thyroxine so they are checking if the replacement dose is enough. There's a reason they write down what medications your on the blood test form.

Last time I had bloods done at the Mater, I was told my TSH came back as 2.5.

Yet I was feeling awful, and when I finally couldn't stand it and went back to get bloods done again 3 months later, my TSH came back as 12. It was so high my GP actually had the nerve to ask me if I was taking the meds. Grrrr, I'd never missed even ONE does.

The only difference between those two blood takes was the first one I had taken my Eltroxin about 2 hours beforehand.
    The second, I took nothing until after my bloods were done.

Now that I am on NDT I definitely won't be taking it right before I go in (I have bloods Tuesday am).

This is just my experience, and I wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

Does anyone here have problems with their adrenals? I tested negative for Addisons in a blood test but my consultant thinks my adrenals are dodgy regardless as I have very low blood pressure, faint quite often and have weird night time energy surges. Obviously this all is probably mainly thanks to the underactive thyroid! Just wondering if anyone else feels like this and how you manage. I find exercise quite hard to manage, cardio just destroys me and even weights drain me. Thinking yoga might help... As always this forum is a major support and source of info for me, thanks for reading and hope everyone is feeling ok :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Lovely stuff, I dont know anything about the adrenals but try the yoga and see how you feel after a few sessions? sorry I can't be of any help :o

So I had a complete and utter lull. Worst I've had in the 8 and a half years I've been on eltroxin. I had about 6-8 weeks of pure energy drops to the point where I was getting up at 7 for work, and by 12 I was falling asleep at my desk, had to drink coffee to actually stay awake and was making weird errors in work! coming home and going to bed for 2 hours then back in bed by half 8/9pm for the night. Never feeling refreshed or anything. so i had my bloods repeated and GP freaked out so I am not on 200mg per day. Went back to my endocrinologist and he did a mountain of blood tests and they all came back grand.

so i'm just wondering does anyone take a supplement of B12 or anything like that? My energy levels are still shot, but I don't want to take something that may interfere with the eltroxin.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Rosie1983

Does anyone here have problems with their adrenals? I tested negative for Addisons in a blood test but my consultant thinks my adrenals are dodgy regardless as I have very low blood pressure, faint quite often and have weird night time energy surges. Obviously this all is probably mainly thanks to the underactive thyroid! Just wondering if anyone else feels like this and how you manage. I find exercise quite hard to manage, cardio just destroys me and even weights drain me. Thinking yoga might help... As always this forum is a major support and source of info for me, thanks for reading and hope everyone is feeling ok :)

I don't know much about adrenals either. I have read that there is often a connection between the adrenals and thyroid but that's all I know to be honest.

I have done yoga on and off for years, long before I had any thyroid problems, and even though I'm really bad at keeping it up at times, I always feel better when I go back to a class or start practising myself at home. I'd definitely recommend it, especially if you are finding other exercise too strenuous. You can do very gentle yoga that isn't strenuous but it will still have a great effect on your body and mind, especially if you are stressed out trying to find the right treatment for your thyroid! There are specific yoga poses that are supposed to be good for balancing your thyroid as well, like the shoulder stand, but I haven't done any of them in ages! Must really get back into the habit...

Good info on adrenals here:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info/

They have a Facebook group devoted entirely to adrenals now too, if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

What brands of NDT are people using? I've been on Armour for over a year, and although better than Eltroxin I don't feel right. I'm thinking of moving to a different one to try it out, what are people using?

Staplor wrote: »
    What brands of NDT are people using? I've been on Armour for over a year, and although better than Eltroxin I don't feel right. I'm thinking of moving to a different one to try it out, what are people using?

May I ask how you've done your dosing? Like, what did you start on, how long did you stay at that level and what are you at now?
    Have you had recent bloods done?

I am on what's called the 'generic' armour, Thyroid-S, currently 2.5 grains.

I like it a lot, feel much better than I did on eltroxin, but it's early days still as I am only now into week 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 spud21

how long did it take to get fully diagnosed with thyroid disorder . i found a lump in my throat.secretly hoping its my thyroid and not something more sinister.getting a scan done privately just incase its fast moving cancer. just wondering would you recommend public or private route if it is a thyroid disorder???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I was on 2.5 grains of Armour which is now up to 3 for the past year, just got tests back last night actually, TSH was 1.6 and T4 was 12. Any advice?

spud21 wrote: »
    how long did it take to get fully diagnosed with thyroid disorder . i found a lump in my throat.secretly hoping its my thyroid and not something more sinister.getting a scan done privately just incase its fast moving cancer. just wondering would you recommend public or private route if it is a thyroid disorder???

Hi spud, welcome. I hope your scan goes well. There is great information on here and many other places too ('Thyroid Sexy' with Gina Lee Nolin and 'Stop the Thyroid Madness' are two I have found useful).
    Why not just wait until you get some news and then people here can chime in more with their experience and advice?

https://www.facebook.com/thyroidsexy

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

Staplor wrote: »
    I was on 2.5 grains of Armour which is now up to 3 for the past year, just got tests back last night actually, TSH was 1.6 and T4 was 12. Any advice?

I suggest first having a read of this:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/mistakes-patients-make/

While not everyone here is on board, I like the 'Stop the Thyroid Madness' site as they are not fans of Eltroxin (T4) and neither am I, so I have been reading their book and doing a lot to try and help my healing along. According to them there are a lot of things that could be going on with you:

1. You might need a bigger dose? Some people need even up to 4, 5 etc....they counsel treating on symptoms and how you feel, with your levels being monitored by a GP of course (which is what my GP is doing for me now, thankfully).

2. Are you taking Magnesium, Selenium, Vit C, etc....taking these has now proved very beneficial to me. I've even bought a juicer and have been adding lots of great nutrients through that method. I've also stopped eating GLUTEN for the most part as many Thyroid sufferers have said they feel better off of it.

3. You may have adrenal troubles? They encourage cortisol testing and working to get the adrenal fatigue fixed before raising your Armour dose. I haven't done this, but you can order the saliva tests online.

4. You just may need to switch brands of NDT. There is EFRA from Canada I know some here are on.....maybe they can be helpful in suggesting others too? I am happy on my Thyroid-S, for now.

PS: I am no expert, I was a newbie here myself and have found it a great help. This is just my experience, I am sure others will have some for you too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mother of 4

i was diagnosed with underactive thyroid about 3 years ago. My levels were over 100. I was put on Eltroxin and it helped immensely. I stopped taking the medication after about 6 months and after a blood test was told my levels were back to normal (4 i think)
    For the past year i have been having monthly Vitamin B12 injections for B12 deficiency. These injections are a life saver.
    But.............for the past two weeks ive been having awful head fuzziness. I feel like im not here (if you know what i mean). I go into a daze and have to snap my self out of it. I also suffer bad panic attacks. I have aching muscles and joints and just feel generally unwell. I had full bloods done today and will get the results in around 10 days.
    Im not sure if the thyroid is playing up again or if it is something else. Im almost hoping it's the thyroid as at least ill have an answer. Anyone else get the head fuzziness that i mentioned??

• Advertisement

I'm shocked you stopped taking thyroid replacement after being diagnosed. Not that TSH is that important really, but who says a TSH of 4 is normal ? Terrible.

And yes, I think the symptom you are referring to is called "brain fog". :)

I hope you can get back on thyroid replacement medication asap, you've been treated miserably in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

Given your panic attacks I would also get cortisol tested. I'd say there is a good chance that your adrenal glands got exhausted due to the lack of thyroid hormone. Were you ever told if you're thyroid condition was due to autoimmune illness?

Amazingfun................ I probably should have stayed on the Eltroxin but im not the 'tablet taking' kind. BUT....the doc knew i had stopped taking it and didnt seem to think there was any harm in it as the levels were once again normal. It's only now that im thinking it wasnt such a good idea.

cltt97..........Ive been having panic attacks for 27 years since my Dad died when i was 15. I did have a few years of a break from them but they came back with a bang. I was never told what caused my thyroid condition. I actually had to research the internet to find out exactly what an underactive thyroid was!!!!!

I just want to feel normal again. I have 4 children, the eldest is Manic Bipolar, so stress contributes a lot to the panic attacks. Maybe a good holiday is what i need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭donnbradman

I was told by my doctor that my recent blood tests showed that I had an over active thyroid. I have been suffering from an eating disorder for the last 9months, could this have caused my over active thyroid? And would going back to normal eating habits cure my thyroid? I know the forum isn't marked with doctors but anyone who's had a similar experience to me could offer me advice would be brillant. My life had really been a struggle this year.

I have to ring my doctor in another half hour for the results of my blood tests. I suspect my thyroid is once again underactive but i could be wrong. I got my Vitamin B12 injection last week and within 2 days my 'fuzzy' head came normal. Aching joints also disappeared. Could just be a Vitamin B12 thing.
    Ill come back and update after my results.

Ok so i got my blood test results.
    1. Im anaemic again. Iron injections needed.
    2. Thyroid is once again underactive. Am starting Eltroxen today.
    3. Vitamin B12 is low again. Back to weekly injections.
    4. Need to be tested for Coeliacs Disease. Have most of the symptoms and have actually suspected i may have it for a while now.

I am making an appointment to have bloods tested for Coeliacs. Will update once again when i know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Ok so i got my blood test results.
    1. Im anaemic again. Iron injections needed.
    2. Thyroid is once again underactive. Am starting Eltroxen today.
    3. Vitamin B12 is low again. Back to weekly injections.
    4. Need to be tested for Coeliacs Disease. Have most of the symptoms and have actually suspected i may have it for a while now.

I am making an appointment to have bloods tested for Coeliacs. Will update once again when i know more.

If you don't mind me asking what was your actual iron level? I always seem to have quite low iron. Usually around 30 and can't see to increase it. Thanks.

I was told by my doctor that my recent blood tests showed that I had an over active thyroid. I have been suffering from an eating disorder for the last 9months, could this have caused my over active thyroid? And would going back to normal eating habits cure my thyroid? I know the forum isn't marked with doctors but anyone who's had a similar experience to me could offer me advice would be brillant. My life had really been a struggle this year.

Sorry no one has chimed in with advice. I think most here are underactive, but I've noticed the thread has been very quiet of late, which is strange since it seemed pretty active last year.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

Hi Bingy
    They didnt say what my levels were but the reason for the injection is because i cannot take iron orally. So injections are the only way to get the iron into me. Ive always been low on iron so anaemia is common with me.
    Are you taking iron tablets/supplements??

Advertisement