Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thyroid misery

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

jozi wrote: »
    Getting bloods done again tomorrow and spoke with doctor also. Don't exactly Remer what he said but anti bodies are fine ad was everything else the last time except a slow thyroid (he mentioned a value of 7 when normal is .5 to 4 I think? )

As I said I my previous post, feeling very low on energy lately. Today at work around 3ish I felt like I could just go to sleep, would this be thyroid or lack of sleep? Anyway will have a chat with the doctor but really want to stay start feeling normal again instead of feeling like I've no energy

Well if you're not getting enough sleep you'll be tired ;) a lot of people have an afternoon slump, I think it's caused by blood sugar dropping after lunch. Fatigue is usually when no matter you much you sleep you're still exhausted and can never feel properly rested. .
    Now you've had your bloods done you'll know for sure in a few days, if it's gone up ask your doc to prescribe something and explain how you feel.

Lexi that's still crazy high!! God I dunno how you're managing at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm absolutely thrilled it's down so much but considering its dropped by almost 300, you'd expect to be feeling 100 times better and I feel the same but the morning sickness feelings almost gone completely

I'm absolutely thrilled it's down so much but considering its dropped by almost 300, you'd expect to be feeling 100 times better and I feel the same but the morning sickness feelings almost gone completely

I think the exhaustion is the hardest thing to get rid of!! I'm down to 1.2 but I still feel rough!

Delighted your thyroid induced morning sickness had gone, not worth it without a baby at the end!!

It was terrifying I was convinced I was duffed.
    Smell of food, puke.
    Certain foods, puke.
    Thought of certain food, puke.
    No interest in eating, puke.
    Walking past lush shops, puke.
    Sitting on the bus, dizzy nauseous and on the verge of puking.

A crap thyroid seemed very appealing then haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

What figures should I be looking for on my blood results? I see Free T4 mentioned and TSH in this thread and where should they be to feel normal and where would they normally before people go on meds?

---edit---

Just found this which seems to have lots of information http://www.thyroiduk.org.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Had my bloods repeated.
    TSH is down to 49 (thank god!)
    Free t4 is up to 5.8 (from 3.1)

Tested positive for hashimoto in the anti bodies test
    Negative for diabetes and coeliac, they tested for pcos too and think that came back neg but my prolactin levels are 750. Guess that means at the minute I'll be unable to conceive anyway which will be for the best when they're saying it's dangerous anyway.

Despite in drop of tsh, I'm exausted. No energy. They're raising my meds to 150 mcg now.

I conceived with high prolactin levels and a TSH of high 30s - 50s... Have an almost 4 year old running around so make sure you still use contraception ;)

I had hyperemesis (really really severe all day sickness) when I was pregnant with her: they think one of the main reasons it was so bad was because of the thyroid. I rarely had a normal thyroid result throughout either of my pregnancies.

Give it a bit more time and hopefully you will feel better x

What figures should I be looking for on my blood results? I see Free T4 mentioned and TSH in this thread and where should they be to feel normal and where would they normally before people go on meds?

---edit---

Just found this which seems to have lots of information http://www.thyroiduk.org.uk/

Got my blood results back and met with the doctor earlier on.

TSH went up from 7ish to 11ish over the past 4-6 weeks :( Doc has prescibed me 50mcg of Eltroxin to start of on and blood test again next month to see how my body reacts to the meds.

I'm not sure how I feel about meds for the rest of my life but I do know I can't go on feeling like I have been for the past month or so. Hopefully start seeing results soon enough and feeling normal again.

A week seems very soon J. They usually give 5/6 weeks to give the eltroxin a chance to kick in so don't be expecting too much with the bloods next week. You're on the right path to getting sorted now anyway

A week seems very soon J. They usually give 5/6 weeks to give the eltroxin a chance to kick in so don't be expecting too much with the bloods next week. You're on the right path to getting sorted now anyway

Oops, my bad, I meant next month (post edited). I'll start tomorrow with the meds so it's easy to remember getting blood tests etc :cool:

Dr prob explained, but take it first thing in the am and don't eat anything for about 30 mins afterwards. Hopefully you'll be feeling good soon :)

• Advertisement

Yeah that's what he told me to. Are there any immediate noticeable side effects like feeling I'll or nausea? I'll have to change my morning routine slightly, 30 mins before food doesn't work for me at the min when I'm usually eating 15 mins after getting up and showered.

What I do is bring them to bed with me, they're on my bedside locker. My phone goes off, I turn my alarm off. I take my tablets. I look on Facebook, get up, jump into the shower, get dried off and dressed and then it's time for breakfast.

There was no ill effects for me. You don't feel any different at all straight away, at least I didn't. Mine got a lot worse and then I was nauseous and ill and vomitting so if that happens to you, it's prob an indication to get yourself checked

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Rosie1983

Hi all. Been a while since I've been on here. My old endo retired in January and have been to see my new one twice this year. But unfortunately my blood tests have swung quite HYPO again since March. My TSH was nearly at 0 in March, so I reduced my dose of Erfa from 75 to 60 a day. Had the bloods done again a month ago and now it's up to 9. Feel really frustrated as I am 33 now and would like to be able to start thinking about conceiving within the next year or so. Haven't got the antibodies test results back but according to the last ones from last year, I have Hashimotos. I think this is odd, as I didn't have enough antibodies to qualify as having Hashimotos when I first diagnosed in 2011. So confusing...

Has anyone tried Erfa and then switched to something else? I'm not interested in going back in Eltroxin. Have given up gluten as of last week and am going to get the best ceramic fluoride water filter I can find. My new landlords are happy for us to get it installed - thankfully! Really not sure what else I can try at this stage! Had my cortisol tested last time I had bloods done and it's fine apparently. Pretty sure that stress and adrenal fatigue is what brought this on in the first place 5-7 years ago. My overall stress levels are MUCh better now.

Despite all of this, I'm actually feeling ok, especially compared to how I've felt in the past. But I'm really convinced that my thyroid is preventing me from losing weight, as I eat really, really well most of the time and have put ON weight in the past year! So frustrating! I seem to be stuck up near the 14 stone mark. I used to always be about 11 stone, give or take. I am nearly 5'10", so that was a really good weight for me.

What exercise have you found works best? I used to run, but ended up hurting my hip and now I'm thinking maybe I should be doing shorter, more intense exercise like HIIT or even bodyweight stuff. Not sure where to start...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Rosie1983

Yeah that's what he told me to. Are there any immediate noticeable side effects like feeling I'll or nausea? I'll have to change my morning routine slightly, 30 mins before food doesn't work for me at the min when I'm usually eating 15 mins after getting up and showered.

Hi there. You should expect to feel less tired and your digestion might speed up as well. When I first went on Eltroxin, I felt a huge boost in energy and I lost about 10 pounds over the first 6 weeks or so. Not sure if weight is a problem for you, sorry I haven't read all of your posts yet. Will go back now...

I was diagnosed with an under-active thyroid about 5 years ago and put on Eltroxin. Unfortunately even with Eltroxin and supplements to support my thyroid, I couldn't keep my thyroid levels in the so-called normal range so after 2 years I went on to a "natural" form of thyroid hormones called Erfa Thyroid. Apparently I am one of the rare people who can't get their thyroid levels balanced. Even both my endocrinologists have told me that I am very unusual in that mine keeps swinging hypo and then hyper every year. But most people feel a lot better after a year or so of treatment so don't expect yours to be like mine! Please try not to worry about it - I know easier said than done!

I don't know if this is the kind of advice you are looking for, but I can only speak for myself. If I was going back to when I was put on Eltroxin, I would NOT go on it straight away. Mainly because once you start taking thyroid hormones, it is much more difficult to ever come off them. I'm sure a lot of people on here would disagree with me and this is NOT medical advice - just personal experience. I would try and find out WHY your thyroid is under-active first before starting any medication. Of course if you are really suffering fatigue, depression, slow digestion, brain fog, period problems, I totally understand why you would want to find a treatment that will help. But I just wish I had tried to sort mine out naturally first to see if that worked. Now I'll never know if I could have restored mine to health with diet/nutrition/natural remedies. Stress can play a huge role. Best of luck with it all - it's very frustrating at times but you won't always feel this tired! :)

ps Mary Shomon is a brilliant thyroid advocate and runs a website that has tons of info to get you started:

https://www.verywell.com/thyroid-4014636

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

I haven't posted in a while as I've had the same old cycle of feel ok for a while, then feel crap then get my eltroxon upped then feel ok again for a while. It's been four years now so I'm hoping things will even out soon! My tsh has skyrocketed in the last three months so I'm feeling atrocious at the minute. I always feel better when I post here as I know you guys understand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Type 1 diabetic here. Recently put on 150 mg eltroxcin as I was feeling terrible.that was 2 months ago. Its only made a slight change in my overall wellbeing. Still cant loose weight either. I got more bloods last week and asked them to check antibodies. They came back today and nurse said antibodies were high but as im on eltroxcin they wont be treating high antibodies. Does this sound right. Dont ask me for exact numbers as ive forgotten what was said. Can I request blood results and are they free? Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Brioscai

Antibody tests (presumably Hashimotos?) are not free, nor are they standard. There is a 30euro charge for bloods for TSH, T3, T4 with the GPs nurse.

Brioscai wrote: »
    Antibody tests (presumably Hashimotos?) are not free, nor are they standard. There is a 30euro charge for bloods for TSH, T3, T4 with the GPs nurse.

I think she meant results of tests already done in which case there shouldn't be a charge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Brioscai wrote: »

Depends on the GPs surgery- ours charges a standard 50 Euro with the GP's nurse for blood tests. Its definitely not free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Yes, you are entitled to all your medical notes. I always ask on the phone for the exact results and if I don't agree with the nurse/doctord opinion, I challenge it. After all, it's my health

• Advertisement

As to your question on not treating antibodies, this does seem strange. I think you should speak to your gp and if you feel you need it then an endocrinologist

Sorry for any misunderstanding. Yes I mean a print off of recent bloods. Called reception and they confirmed they are free. So ill post em up here tomorrow when I get them. Get your opinion of them. My gp that was helping me out has gone on maternity leave so im stuck with her substitute. I'll be pushing for something to be done about the high antibodies. Thanks all.

So here's the results.I'll put them all up as don't know what valid or not in this case.ranges in ( ) In may: vitamin b12 545. (197_771).Folate 11.6, (4.6_18.7) Ferritin 284,(30_400). Urea electrolytes creatinine , urea 3.8,(2.5_7.8).sodium 138,(135_145).potussium 4.4,(3.5_5.3)creatinine 71,(62_106). TSH 5.930,(0.27_4.2). Free thyroxine 12.8,(12_22). Free t3 5.4,(3.1_6.8).

. . In July: roche anti tpo *179,(0_34).TSH 2.430,(0.27_4.2). Free thyroxine 14.9,(12_22). Free t3 4.7,(3.1_6.8), then on last page it says another roche anti tpo of *184,(0_34).

So ranges are in the brackets. From/to.

So I don't know what these mean really so any advice would be great. Thanks

hadepsx wrote: »
    So here's the results.I'll put them all up as don't know what valid or not in this case. In may: vitamin b12 545. Folate 11.6. Ferritin 284. Urea electrolytes creatinine , urea 3.8.sodium 138.potussium 4.4, creatinine 71. TSH 5.930. Free thyroxine 12.8. Free t3 5.4

. . In July: roche anti tpo *179. TSH 2.430. Free thyroxine 14.9. Free t3 4.7. , then on last page it says another roche anti tpo of *184.

I wouldn't be worried about the tpo's, those are very low in the range. Mine ate always in the 1000's even when I feel good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

So here's the results.I'll put them all up as don't know what valid or not in this case. In may: vitamin b12 545. Folate 11.6. Ferritin 284. Urea electrolytes creatinine , urea 3.8.sodium 138.potussium 4.4, creatinine 71. TSH 5.930. Free thyroxine 12.8. Free t3 5.4

. . In July: roche anti tpo *179. TSH 2.430. Free thyroxine 14.9. Free t3 4.7. , then on last page it says another roche anti tpo of *184.

I would encourage you to join the FTPO groups on Facebook. The gals there are brilliant at "reading labs".

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FTPOUKandEurope/

Also, some of us don't do well on Eltroxin (synthroid in the US) , I know I didn't. Getting on NDT changed my experience completely :)

Good read here:
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/t4-only-meds-dont-work/

Best of luck!

PS: you need to post the ranges when you post your lab results. They should be on the results as well.

I'll post ranges tomorrow, thanks

So here's the results.I'll put them all up as don't know what valid or not in this case.ranges in ( ) In may: vitamin b12 545. (197_771).Folate 11.6, (4.6_18.7) Ferritin 284,(30_400). Urea electrolytes creatinine , urea 3.8,(2.5_7.8).sodium 138,(135_145).potussium 4.4,(3.5_5.3)creatinine 71,(62_106). TSH 5.930,(0.27_4.2). Free thyroxine 12.8,(12_22). Free t3 5.4,(3.1_6.8).

. . In July: roche anti tpo *179,(0_34).TSH 2.430,(0.27_4.2). Free thyroxine 14.9,(12_22). Free t3 4.7,(3.1_6.8), then on last page it says another roche anti tpo of *184,(0_34).

So ranges are in the brackets. From/to.

Heres the ranges added into original text. Pm me if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Mod note

Just a gentle reminder folks that medical advice (i.e. offering diagnoses, advising on medication taking) isn't permitted on boards, but sharing experiences or general discussion are all good.

A reason for this is something like lab values are dependent on the context in terms of individual patient factors and the ranges for the lab that did the testing.

Any queries feel free to drop a PM to the mods, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Just wondering. Does anyone with hypothyroidism find their throat is constantly dry? It's been driving me loopy the past few days. Constantly coughing and trouble swallowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I have hypo, but I don't suffer from that. I am prone to it though due to allergies (hayfever) which this week has kicked off in vengeance.

Advertisement