Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thyroid misery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Heart rate went up to 140bpm and stayed there for a good 15 minutes earlier today, now it's "only" 110bpm, now, a swollen lump has emerged on my neck, beta blockers not working at all :( feeling horrendous, itchy all over.... Trying not to panic but am very anxious now. Gonna see if I can see gp tomorrow, I've pain all over.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Feeling anxious won't help your heart rate one bit. :(

Lying down and drinking lots of water helps, sometimes - it could be a sign of dehydration, too (obviously I'm not a doctor either, so maybe ring A&E or a night doctor to get some advice if things don't improve).

• Registered Users Posts: 44 hadenoughofit

Hi emebee. +1 that getting stressed out will worsen the situation. Definitely best to try to relax.

On the other hand if the situation is worsening (high and rising pulse rate is likely a good indicator, and 140 is getting up there) it's probably wisest to head for a doctor or A&E where they are set up to administer something to control it.

If nothing else it might help to move things along in terms of obtaining a more definitive longer term treatment.

The problem with beta blockers and the like when used heavily to block the action of hormone (much of my experience was with a drug used to block adrenal output (another story), but I've been on beta blockers for blood pressure too and they felt similar at higher doses) is that they usually end up leaving a person feeling like crap.

Aches, dead beat muscles (even trying to hold my hands over my head in the shower to wash my hair was a struggle) and a draggy tiredness and low mood in my experience - so while definitely keep an eye on the pulse rate some of this other stuff while not very pleasant may be par for the course...

Was in Beaumont today for the radioactive contrast scan thing. Still feel like ****e, didn't see a doctor or anything, just the lad doing the scan. He of course would tell me nothing and just said the consultant would be in touch. How long does it take for the scan report to come through usually?

Think the delay to see doctors embee mostly tends to reflect their individual waiting list, and I don't know the score in Beaumont. A very rapid response can sometimes suggest something significant, but the way things are with waiting lists that's probably a pretty variable feast too. Weeks aren't unusual I suspect?

There's clearly situations where it might not be wise or in the interests of the patient, but the pretty much default and likely bum covering/complication and commitment avoiding/time saving unwillingness of other than doctors (and even they often avoid it if let) to share even basic information in public hospitals can be utterly soul destroying.

I've heard twaddle talked about not upsetting patients, but what they fail to understand is that it's got to come out anyway - and that being stalled for weeks as a half wit that's not entitled to information about our own health is for most of us (in these hopefully post forelock touching days) far more corrosive than almost any news imaginable.

It's not as though they (in my experience 13 yrs ago anyway) handle giving bad news to people in a well considered manner anyway - my last heavy engagements saw nurses and techs flat refusing to say anything, and my being informed by a junior doctor in one hospital as a throwaway comment that I had a kidney tumour. They then forgot to come back to say that I didn't actually have one when three weeks or so later they concluded that it was a false alarm - I only found out accidentally that this was the case.

Hopefully there's the beginnings of change - a recent back surgery in another (private) hospital was handled much better. They tended to answer questions pretty directly, and in a matter of fact way. How we handle ourselves as before matters too - doing so genuinely and well (working to undertand the situation, but co-operating in a pleasant and sound manner for the best outcome) tends to create a sense on the part of the professional that they can safely share information with us.

We each have to decide what we prefer and proceed accordingly, but my personal strategy given how long it takes to get to see most of these people is to go in armed to the hilt and well informed as to what the next step possibilities may be - to research in advance, then ask very direct but reasonable questions. With a readiness to dig in if I feel I'm being soft soaped/not getting straight answers.

The alternative is to go into blind trust/do what I'm told mode (which has a way of sawing away subconsciously), but it's easy to think up all sorts of questions we should have asked while in the car driving home and end up frustrated. The latter isn't necessarily good for the morale ....

The other basic reality that floats into view in the end is that if we need a significant treatment then we for good or ill eventually do have to place our trust somewhere - and it seems to be incredibly difficult to get detailed feedback on doctors and hospitals short of being best pals with a colleague.

So for me it certainly helps the morale to stay on top of my own medical affairs, but there does come a point where it's time (presuming all seems in order up to then/that what's proposed seems sensible/that you have done what you reasonably can to validate the situation) to kick back into trust/hope for the best mode....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Brera

Seanachai wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have add and I find it hard to read through long threads/posts, am I right in thinking that the basic gist is that T3 medication is what's needed for effective treatment, but that the HSE make it difficult to prescribe? Also that we need to go private to get any hope of decent care?

Any GP can prescribe T3 medication. It’s even covered by the medical card.

The issue is trying to get them to prescribe it. A good endocrinologist will prescribe it for you but trying to find a good one can be an issue. Endocrinology covers several different areas so finding one who really understands Thyorid disease and who is willing to treat you based on how you feel in addition to your blood work is key.

Most GPs consider prescribing T3 to be dangerous as it can cause problems if you take too much of it. The reality is it shouldn’t cause any major problems as long as you have regular blood work taken to monitor your levels.

At least part of the problem with GPs and T3 is that the HSE (in our area anyway) doesn't permit (or discourages - I was told doesn't permit) them to submit bloods for T3 testing. My then GP since retired decided anyway quite a few years ago that he didn't really understand the whole T3 deal, and that he'd prefer I was with a consultant - he was refreshingly un-PC and direct.

I've been with a consultant since. The major downside is that it was initially a bit more complicated to get a prescription, but he has a good secretary now who emails it to the chemist on request which sorted that. The consultation fee is higher, but he doesn't charge for issuing a prescription - only for a roughly annual screening so the cost is about the same as for a GP. (the screening is general health and thyroid cancer follow up focused)

T3 has the potential to rapidly cause problems if you take quite a lot too much and have heart problems, but so has T4.

There's in practice no big deal about T3 IF common sense is applied. eg start with a moderate trial dose, work it up gradually, be responsive to symptoms, if in doubt don't.... Most GPs seem heavily conditioned to be very wary though (there were problems way back in medicine with over use of thyroid hormone), and don't seem in any real world/systems based sense to understand it. So they avoid engagement in my experience.

Blood testing T3 isn't all that useful because blood levels are pretty variable I think. My endo seems more interested in TSH which is one of the stock tests available to GPs anyway.

I run a very low TSH (the result of taking enough hormone to place me in the upper end of the ranges) because I feel best at that, and also for suppression of the possibility of a recurrence of the thyroid cancer, and found it obvious on the one occasion I ended up taking a bit too much - stuff like my heart bumping lightly upon climbing a stair when it normally wouldn't. That was years ago when a bum batch of pills came through...

My replacement dose has remained stable for 13 yrs +.

I'm sure I've on a few isolated occasions accidentally taken a duplicate dose and not felt anything. T3 isn't a hair trigger deal for me, but I don't don't know if this is the case for everybody...

Based on my own experience it seems likely that real risk would arise mostly in cases like say where a person has memory problems, or thinks in more is better terms, or has obsessive tendencies that drive them to take eg multiple doses - and isn't responsive to symptoms suggesting they have taken a bit too much.

Or they keep on over time taking a marginally too high prescribed dose out of blind obedience - the doctors said...

At least part of the problem with GPs and T3 is that the HSE (in our area anyway) doesn't permit (or discourages - I was told doesn't permit) them to submit bloods for T3 testing. My then GP since retired decided anyway quite a few years ago that he didn't really understand the whole T3 deal, and that he'd prefer I was with a consultant - he was refreshingly un-PC and direct.

I've been with a consultant since. The major downside is that it was initially a bit more complicated to get a prescription, but he has a good secretary now who emails it to the chemist on request which sorted that. The consultation fee is higher, but he doesn't charge for issuing a prescription - only for a roughly annual screening so the cost is about the same as for a GP. (the screening is general health and thyroid cancer follow up focused)

T3 has the potential to rapidly cause problems if you take quite a lot too much and have heart problems, but so has T4.

There's in practice no big deal about T3 IF common sense is applied. eg start with a moderate trial dose, work it up gradually, be responsive to symptoms, if in doubt don't.... Most GPs seem heavily conditioned to be very wary though (there were problems way back in medicine with over use of thyroid hormone), and don't seem in any real world/systems based sense to understand it. So they avoid engagement in my experience.

Blood testing T3 isn't all that useful because blood levels are pretty variable I think. My endo seems more interested in TSH which is one of the stock tests available to GPs anyway.

I run a very low TSH (the result of taking enough hormone to place me in the upper end of the ranges) because I feel best at that, and also for suppression of the possibility of a recurrence of the thyroid cancer, and found it obvious on the one occasion I ended up taking a bit too much - stuff like my heart bumping lightly upon climbing a stair when it normally wouldn't. That was years ago when a bum batch of pills came through...

My replacement dose has remained stable for 13 yrs +.

I'm sure I've on a few isolated occasions accidentally taken a duplicate dose and not felt anything. T3 isn't a hair trigger deal for me, but I don't don't know if this is the case for everybody...

Based on my own experience it seems likely that real risk would arise mostly in cases like say where a person has memory problems, or thinks in more is better terms, or has obsessive tendencies that drive them to take eg multiple doses - and isn't responsive to symptoms suggesting they have taken a bit too much.

Or they keep on over time taking a marginally too high prescribed dose out of blind obedience - the doctors said...

I have been lucky in having a GP who doesn’t seemed to mind patients using T3 if they have a consultant who thinks they can use it. I occasionally do have an issue with getting a FT3 blood test. All of our bloodwork ends up being sent to the hosptital in Waterford and occasionally they won’t run the FT3 if the FT4 and TSH appear normal. Usually they mark it down that a consultant requested it or the send another sample off and they will do it.

I have my thyroid removed over two years ago due to cancer and T4 alone just didn’t work for me. Eventually I found a great consultant in the beacon who my GP is happy to work with. She’ll do the bloods etc which is handy.

For the first time both my T3 & T4 levels are within range. Not optimal yet but I’ll get there.

The key is having someone who is prepared to listen to how you feel. Not just base your treatment on your lab numbers.

In my case I need a FT4 in the upper half of the ranges.

Everyone is slightly different and getting to whee someone feels normal for them can take a lot of trial and error.

All of this talk about high T3 levels etc often amazes me. Before they advent of synthetic T4 when they used NDT they simply kept increasing the dose until symptoms disappeared.

A treatment plan that is balance between that and blood levels is the ideal place to be.

That all sounds very familiar B. It's great to get to a doc you can work with - that will listen.

I had 15 years of coming apart with advanced auto immune thyroid problems and doctors obsessed with the stock blood tests (which as previously have no part to play in identifying secondary hypothyroidism ie producing hormone, but not being able to use use it properly) telling me my thyroid was 'normal'.

When it turned out I had a thyroid cancer and had a thyroidectomy then suddenly all flipped to a different hymn sheet and were happy to prescribe T3. Never a mention though of all of the years of denying a problem. Which cost me my career..

Very few these days in my experience are capable of making a diagnosis based on symptoms. Most anyway don't want to, they want CYA 'proof'. ie their diagnosis to be backed up by a lab result. My experience is that while one size fits all blood values are very useful to get a handle on where things are, they mean little or nothing in terms of achieving/fine tuning dosages to deliver well being.

Back in the day it was done solely by symptoms - which likely forced co-operation between the doctor and patient. Both had skin in the game, it made the sort of detached blind rule based techno dictation that goes on these days impossible.

T3 wasn't an issue then, because it was contained in the natural dessicated thyroid then used. (perhaps even a bit too much for some)

Bottom line as you say is that since people are not all the same both blood tests and symptoms have a role to play, but it takes a co-operative and clued in doc to avoid messing up and to help the patient get it right...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

"occasionally they won’t run the FT3 if the FT4 and TSH appear normal", are there bean-counters breathing down their necks in the HSE or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Seanachai wrote:
    "occasionally they won’t run the FT3 if the FT4 and TSH appear normal", are there bean-counters breathing down their necks in the HSE or something?

It costs the HSE hundreds of millions a year to cover the cost of laboratory testing. You wouldnt believe the amount of unnecessary tests that are requested by doctors that waste so much money.

GPs don't contribute to the cost of laboratory testing. The money you give them pays for their time.

T3 testing is only required in patients with thyroid issues when necessary.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

T3 testing is only required in patients with thyroid issues when necessary.

And yet, some people (including some people I know), had perfect FT4 and TSH, and only because they put up a fight they got tested for FT3, which turned out to be all over the place. I can understand it's expensive for the health boards, but they could at least offer the test provided the patient covered the costs (I doubt it'd be higher than €20 anyway), and maybe offer a refund if the results were positive.

That aside, it never fails to amaze me how much we have to rely on labs abroad for testing our bloods. Why can't we invest more in that area ourselves? It'd be more expensive to start off with, but would pay for itself in the long run, and would create jobs. But I'm aware that that's not a discussion for here.

You're probably going to struggle to get anybody in the system to admit it S, but the simple answer to that seems to be yes!!!!!

They removed T3 from the drug scheme listing some years ago, and unless more than one GP is not being accurate they also have if not blocked at least restricted GP access to T3 related blood testing - just as it was taking off for use in treating both 'depression' (the penny hasn't dropped in many cases that this is one result of severe hypothyroidism) and hypothyroidism.

We're meanwhile despite a so called drug payment scheme paying multiples of what T3 costs in eg Italy...

PS I've no idea what the rationale is, but so far as i can tell doctors routinely request fresh scans, blood tests etc even if recent results from elsewhere are to hand. Ditto most of the time on scans.

We hear the continuous refrain that there's not enough beds, but enormous internal lead times (of the order of 1 wk for every diagnostic step - stuff like said scans, reviews, blood test results etc) in the instance I'm thinking of in a major Dublin public hospital back in 2005 extended the stay and hence bed time by perhaps x4...

You're probably going to struggle to get anybody in the system to admit it S, but the simple answer to that seems to be yes!!!!!

They removed T3 from the drug scheme listing some years ago, and unless more than one GP is not being accurate they also have if not blocked at least restricted GP access to T3 related blood testing - just as it was taking off for use in treating both 'depression' (the penny hasn't dropped in many cases that this is one result of severe hypothyroidism) and hypothyroidism.

We're meanwhile despite a so called drug payment scheme paying multiples of what T3 costs in eg Italy...

Is T3 still not available on the drug scheme listing ? Crazy if still isn’t available !!

I’m currently able to get my T3 on the medical card. Thybon which is a German brand I think.

That all sounds very familiar B. It's great to get to a doc you can work with - that will listen.

I had 15 years of coming apart with advanced auto immune thyroid problems and doctors obsessed with the stock blood tests (which as previously have no part to play in identifying secondary hypothyroidism ie producing hormone, but not being able to use use it properly) telling me my thyroid was 'normal'.

When it turned out I had a thyroid cancer and had a thyroidectomy then suddenly all flipped to a different hymn sheet and were happy to prescribe T3. Never a mention though of all of the years of denying a problem. Which cost me my career..

Very few these days in my experience are capable of making a diagnosis based on symptoms. Most anyway don't want to, they want CYA 'proof'. ie their diagnosis to be backed up by a lab result. My experience is that while one size fits all blood values are very useful to get a handle on where things are, they mean little or nothing in terms of achieving/fine tuning dosages to deliver well being.

Back in the day it was done solely by symptoms - which likely forced co-operation between the doctor and patient. Both had skin in the game, it made the sort of detached blind rule based techno dictation that goes on these days impossible.

T3 wasn't an issue then, because it was contained in the natural dessicated thyroid then used. (perhaps even a bit too much for some)

Bottom line as you say is that since people are not all the same both blood tests and symptoms have a role to play, but it takes a co-operative and clued in doc to avoid messing up and to help the patient get it right...

I can’t imagine how difficult it must have been for you to have to put up with it for 15 years.

The level of ignorance among Drs about the importance of normal thyroid function is stark.

Actually, that bring me to my next question - if stuff is so expensive here, why can't they source it from countries where it's cheaper? Lunacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

T3 is for people who cannot efficiently convert T4 specifically? There is no reason to be concerned with it if symptoms are resolved using T4 only?

Went to Beaumont today, there are no suspicious areas in scan I had with radioactive iodine, just multiple nodules. Cancer has been ruled out. I've been on carbimazole for a month and my weight is less than it was a month ago, doc said she would have expected my weight too have gone up slightly if the carbimazole was working, but I'm still tachycardic, sweating, breathless, jittery, tremor in both hands. They've pulled the plug on carbimazole and are putting me on something called PTU, anyone else have experience with PTU? She also said that either a partial or complete thyroidectomy down the line is a possibility. Delighted there was no cancer!

That's great news embee.

I can't advise, and this is only hearsay - but I have seen the view expressed that a partial thyroidectomy is a better deal than radioactive iodine - that the former leaves the remaining part of the thyroid undisturbed. Also that a full thyroidectomy is sometimes helpful because if the thyroid has been badly hammered by autoimmune attack it becomes a centre of autoimmune disturbance in itself. ie removing it gives the immune system a chance to settle down.

Against that it's quite sobering to then realise (it was for me anyway) that our survival is dependent on continued availability of replacement hormone.

Nodules (hearsay again) may make the impact of a partial thyroidectomy in reducing output a bit unpredictable - in that it's possible for a given nodule to be responsible for a lot of the elevated thyroid output.

I guess Brera these things are all a journey - we learn important lessons. 15 years sounds like a lot looking back, but somehow we forget discomfort once it's in the past. I wouldn't know, but they say child birth is a bit like that !! : )

I think listed pill prices in general NH are basically down to the deals the powers that be cut with the importers. I think (?) Br that when a drug is approved but no longer listed (i may have that wrong) the importer is freed to charge what they can get for it from the pharmacies, and ultimately from the punters.

The much lower Euro prices may be subsidised, or perhaps other countries do a better job of negotiating prices with the manufacturers.

So far as i know (my experience anyway) T3 becomes critically important for those that don't convert T4 so well. Hearsay again, but this seems often to be the case with people with auto immune thyroid problems, and secondary hypothyroidism. Or that have suffered long term (see below) from fatigue problems.

There's definitely judging by forum reports people that do just fine on T4 only, that wonder what all the fuss about T3 is about.

Getting replaced very quickly seems to help (again reportedly). We need T3 to convert T4 to T3, so that even if all else is OK but our T3 levels get down very low it's a bit like a car with a flat battery. Supplementing T3 becomes like recharging the battery. We need adrenal hormone too for it all to work, so so-called adrenal exhaustion can mess with our ability to make and use thyroid hormone too.

The thyroid does actually output a significant part of its output as T3, most of that it seems goes directly to the brain. Brain fog seems to be a common symptom of problems with conversion, perhaps because the brain needs lots of T3.

The biochemistry is beyond me, and I think is anyway not very well understood.

There's so many variables in play in the endocrine system that it's unsurpising that medicine struggles at times for understanding, and for useful tests where secondary hypothyroidism is concerned.

There have to be failsafes/checks and balances all over the place in how the body uses hormones, in that we somehow struggle on (albeit often feeling like crap and with longer term consequences) even when there's lots out of whack...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Longing

embee wrote: »
    Went to Beaumont today, there are no suspicious areas in scan I had with radioactive iodine, just multiple nodules. Cancer has been ruled out. I've been on carbimazole for a month and my weight is less than it was a month ago, doc said she would have expected my weight too have gone up slightly if the carbimazole was working, but I'm still tachycardic, sweating, breathless, jittery, tremor in both hands. They've pulled the plug on carbimazole and are putting me on something called PTU, anyone else have experience with PTU? She also said that either a partial or complete thyroidectomy down the line is a possibility. Delighted there was no cancer!

Hi Embee. I have been on PTU four years now a month after I was diagnosed with Graves Disease. First month I was on carbimazole but it was killing my white blood cells so bad I was in hospital for two weeks until the got it sorted. Anyway I find PTU OK but you have to watch the liver has it is very hard on it. When you go for bloods make sure liver is added in. Only side effect I have is pain in my right side after I take PTU, Properly filtering through the liver. You need to drink plenty of water which I forget at times. Also the tablets taste horrific have to take with yogurt or yop. Hope that helps.

Longing wrote: »
    Hi Embee. I have been on PTU four years now a month after I was diagnosed with Graves Disease. First month I was on carbimazole but it was killing my white blood cells so bad I was in hospital for two weeks until the got it sorted. Anyway I find PTU OK but you have to watch the liver has it is very hard on it. When you go for bloods make sure liver is added in. Only side effect I have is pain in my right side after I take PTU, Properly filtering through the liver. You need to drink plenty of water which I forget at times. Also the tablets taste horrific have to take with yogurt or yop. Hope that helps.

Am on it two weeks and I'm so goddamn itchy :( they taste gross but just knock it down and try to ignore. Getting a liver function test next week, don't feel any better on it. They doubled my beta blockers and my heart is still racing. I am 3kg lighter than I was three weeks ago. Wish they'd just take it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I had radioactive iodine back in August. Mid Sept my..... t4? level was back in normal range but my tsh was suppressed. I'll be honest I've not really been interested in the science and just whatever the docs have said. I've been hyperactive for a couple of years now, docs thought it was graves or something similar brought on by stray radiation post lymphoma chemo but my levels were all over the place so they decided best option was to nuke the thyroid.

Anyway coming up to two months post RAI treatment and should have a blood test in the next week followed by a dr call. Looking forward to it cos being hyper was no big deal. Helped me lose weight :P and get fit after being lazy for some time, never had hand tremors or anything major. I can only assume I'm going hypo now cos I feel blergh, everything feels.... slow. Typing this is troublesome cos my hands are cold. Exercise has become difficult, I've lost the go in my legs despite comfortably being back to 10k running. My resting HR has gone down to mid 50s and I get a bit lightheaded jumping up from a seat etc. I'm hoping things go back to normal quickly once I start taking replacement hormone again.

Hi folks,

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in August this year, secondary to treatment with lemtrada for MS. Have tried both carbimazole and PTU but neither worked. A blood test they've done at the end of October has come back showing I am producing antibodies which are neutralising the medication I'm taking. The only option now is surgery, and they want it done urgently. Is there no way they can clean antibodies from your blood first? The time I had my ginormorelapse in 2015 I had plasmapheresis (or plasma exchange) to remove antibodies from the enormous relapse I was having. Can't they do that in this scenario? Am still having all of the symptoms, heart rate over 100 bpm most of the time, despite being on maximum dose of propranolol. Is it a big op or just an overnight thing? I am immunocompromised because of the MS meds so thinking surgery perhaps isn't the best idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

38 M. Just been diagnosed. TSH level 40. Never spent a day in the doctors office. A little shocked that I will have to spend the rest of my life battling my moood and energy levels. I have massive lifestyle triggers, stressful job and poor lifestyle (2-3 stone overweight, could eat cleaner and excercise more). My family are basically saying "people get worse phonecalls, be grateful you can fix, my x has it, they just take a pill, its no problem". I know people get worse phonecalls but its still a shock. I feel like total crap and have done so for a long-time. I cant believe that its been a condition and not just my personality. I'm stunned. I was so rough on my self for being "fat""lazy" or "not focusing hard enough". I had developed routines to get myself going in the morning, mantra about focusing. Anyways, Im taking this as a path to an ultra clean lifestyle. I'm looking forward to this syntroid stuff kicking in. I can't imagine what its going to be like to get my brain back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I remember feeling terrible when I finally got told I'm within the range to receive meds (eltroxin). I had a checkup for bloods done yesterday and met my doctor, I've forgotten how bad I felt, I feel normal (I think), have done so since not long after the meds.

You're on the road towards getting normal! Sure it might stuck a little you're on meds for ever but if it works you'll get the benefit of it everyday. Good luck

38 M. Just been diagnosed. TSH level 40. Never spent a day in the doctors office. A little shocked that I will have to spend the rest of my life battling my moood and energy levels. I have massive lifestyle triggers, stressful job and poor lifestyle (2-3 stone overweight, could eat cleaner and excercise more). My family are basically saying "people get worse phonecalls, be grateful you can fix, my x has it, they just take a pill, its no problem". I know people get worse phonecalls but its still a shock. I feel like total crap and have done so for a long-time. I cant believe that its been a condition and not just my personality. I'm stunned. I was so rough on my self for being "fat""lazy" or "not focusing hard enough". I had developed routines to get myself going in the morning, mantra about focusing. Anyways, Im taking this as a path to an ultra clean lifestyle. I'm looking forward to this syntroid stuff kicking in. I can't imagine what its going to be like to get my brain back.

Getting a diagnosis of any sort can be scary. The main thing is that once you get your levels to your optimal level you’ll be feeling great.

Once you get your levels right and follow a clean lifestyle you won’t know yourself.

Just make sure that you get copies of your blood work as you go along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

I'm looking forward to feeling better. It's going to be a change. No more regular late nights out socialising? No more pints and rugby? My main concern is I have a stressful job? Do I seriously need to consider a change of career? How the hell do I change career and provide? Or will the drugs kick in an help my manage a demanding job better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭redcatstar

Hi my tsh was over 130 it's an awful shock. If your on fb there is a good irish group called Thyroid Ireland. Don't feel bad thyroid is a very understated disease, it affects literally ever cell in your body

• Advertisement

I'm looking forward to feeling better. It's going to be a change. No more regular late nights out socialising? No more pints and rugby? My main concern is I have a stressful job? Do I seriously need to consider a change of career? How the hell do I change career and provide? Or will the drugs kick in an help my manage a demanding job better?

I found before I was treated that i found things a lot more stressful. I find it a lot easier to cope with everyday stresses when my levels are optimal.

The thyroid affects every cell in your body so just wait and see how you get on with the Thyroxine.

Has your doctor checked for antibodies ?

Advertisement