Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thyroid misery

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

Brera wrote: »
    I found before I was treated that i found things a lot more stressful. I find it a lot easier to cope with everyday stresses when my levels are optimal.

The thyroid affects every cell in your body so just wait and see how you get on with the Thyroxine.

Has your doctor checked for antibodies ?
    We did that test last week. Just waiting on the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Do any hypothyroid people here take selenium, B12, magnesium, zinc, vitamin D3 or other supplements? My doctor has recommended these. They will be 23% more expensive after March 1. Why is the Irish government making it so difficult for people who want to be well and able to function well enough to hold down a job?

We are forcefed fluoride in our water and that doesn't help people with thyroid conditions. Yet if we choose to take our doctor's advice and take supplements recommended to help manage our condition we will be penalised.

Self destructive behaviour such as smoking, drinking and eating junk food is endemic yet the government isn't doing much to prevent that.

People in Ireland (particularly those who work full time and can't get out during the day) are often deficient in Vitamin D3. Most people I know don't take a full lunch break, just enough time to eat a sandwich and that's it.

Many people with chronic conditions rely on supplements recommended by their doctor to help them keep going. This government is screwing us more than any previous government has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I've recently been suffering from extreme exhaustion, unexplained weight gain, and a dip in my mental health. Got blood results today and my thyroid levels are low, I've to go back for more bloods tomorrow, she said it was to check some other hormones associated with the thyroid. I've never had thyroid issues before in my life, any particular questions I should be asking the doctor?

Doctors blood test back yesterday. My antibody is 400. So it's Hashimoto's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Just thought I'd say a quick hello.... Am in Beaumont and having a complete thyroidectomy in the morning, meds were just not controlling my overactive thyroid at all and I am creating neutralising antibodies which are stopping the meds from working so I'm getting it whipped out in the morning. Glad to be getting it out, it's been making me feel miserable!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Best of luck embee! Hope all goes well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I've recently been suffering from extreme exhaustion, unexplained weight gain, and a dip in my mental health. Got blood results today and my thyroid levels are low, I've to go back for more bloods tomorrow, she said it was to check some other hormones associated with the thyroid. I've never had thyroid issues before in my life, any particular questions I should be asking the doctor?

Keep on top of your bloods, make sure your eltroxin is working for you. Keep a record each time of your own levels. I can tell now when my tsh is bad. You’ll learn what’s bad for you. Mine could be in the 20s and I would be okay, someone else could be pooped at 20. If you’re female and planning on becoming pregnant talk to your endocrinologist first and ask to be referred to an endo as gps can be hit and miss. Thyroid is basically your bodies fuel. Don’t underestimate it. It affects hair eyes skin mood sex drive body, holy god if my leg was hanging off I would wonder first if it was my thyroid.
    It’s totally manageable and easy to treat once you keep on top of it.
    I noticed though when mine got really bad although I eventually got in under control my body never really recovered, and my other auto immune conditions presented much much more severe, so I can’t stress how important it is to keep on top of your diagnosis

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Knockeen

Any one tried cutting out gluten when hyper thyroid.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 onlinemonkey

Emme wrote: »
    Do any hypothyroid people here take selenium, B12, magnesium, zinc, vitamin D3 or other supplements? My doctor has recommended these. They will be 23% more expensive after March 1. Why is the Irish government making it so difficult for people who want to be well and able to function well enough to hold down a job?

We are forcefed fluoride in our water and that doesn't help people with thyroid conditions. Yet if we choose to take our doctor's advice and take supplements recommended to help manage our condition we will be penalised.

Self destructive behaviour such as smoking, drinking and eating junk food is endemic yet the government isn't doing much to prevent that.

People in Ireland (particularly those who work full time and can't get out during the day) are often deficient in Vitamin D3. Most people I know don't take a full lunch break, just enough time to eat a sandwich and that's it.

Many people with chronic conditions rely on supplements recommended by their doctor to help them keep going. This government is screwing us more than any previous government has.

I do, I'm taking B12 because I'm a vegie. Selenium Magnesium and Coenzyme Q10 because I found a study that says these can help https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26672672 . Ive got more energy from these, and its been 2 weeks. Now it could be that I lacked some of these in my diet.
    I also take Kefir which helps me a lot with being to able to eat wheat based foods which may or may not be an issue with others that have hypothyroidism.

I'm only recently diagnosed but removing gluten from the diet has helped greatly.
    I also removed coffee, all processed food and reduced dairy.
    I have tested the above in recent weeks. If I eat gluten or processed sugar, I suffer for 24 hrs.

I'm reading this book and slowing learning diet interventions
    Hashimoto's Protocol: A 90-Day Plan for Reversing Thyroid Symptoms and Getting Your Life Back
    Izabella Wentz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

So an update on the above ... TSH levels are okay, T4 and Free T4 levels are low, everything else looks fine. So the GP doesn't want to put me on anything for now. She's changing up some of my other meds, but nothing for the thyroid.

I'm a bit annoyed, obviously I respect her opinion but I've been in and out since last summer with the above issues, fatigue in particular. It's really impacting my life, it's frustrating to be told there's nothing she can do. Especially when the T4 stuff is on the low side; I'm trying to educate myself on what that even means, this is all new to me.

Anyways I'll be getting a second opinion from my psychiatrist when I see her next, my GP is new but my psychiatrist will have my blood results from the last few years, so she'll be able to see if anything has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunshine lollipop

I suffer with hyperthyroidism too, I have done since the birth of my daughter in 2017, or at least this is when it was picked up. I have been out of work since, I have been seeing an endocrinologist & now a referral at long last to see a cardiologist for the palpitations. My GP thought it would be corrected with tablets within three months, but here I am more than a year down the line no better. My consultant is useless, doesn’t care to listen to how I’m feeling. Just dose me up on meds & leave his office deflated. I have applied for disability allowance because I’m no longer entitled to illness benefit but was refused. My consultant was unwilling to provide a letter & it’s the only thing standing in my way. Did any of you apply for the same?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Personally, I haven't, but if you're unhappy with your consultant I'd take steps to go and see somebody else. I'm not saying that's your case, but the palpitations could be caused by an incorrect dosage of Levothyroxine.

I suffer with hyperthyroidism too, I have done since the birth of my daughter in 2017, or at least this is when it was picked up. I have been out of work since, I have been seeing an endocrinologist & now a referral at long last to see a cardiologist for the palpitations. My GP thought it would be corrected with tablets within three months, but here I am more than a year down the line no better. My consultant is useless, doesn’t care to listen to how I’m feeling. Just dose me up on meds & leave his office deflated. I have applied for disability allowance because I’m no longer entitled to illness benefit but was refused. My consultant was unwilling to provide a letter & it’s the only thing standing in my way. Did any of you apply for the same?
    No, my thyroid has been out of control since 2016. It wasn’t really responding to treatment and my results had appalled my consultant in st James so much she sent my blood to three independent labs to make sure the lab hadn’t made a mistake. In May of 2016, my tsh was 347 and I was effectively in what they called a myxedema crisis.

In feb 2018, it became very apparent that I had arthritis and was diagnosed and started treatment. I had been in pain for years but nobody could figure out what was wrong, my thyroid was blamed for everything. Turns out the inflammatory markers in my body was so high, and as soon as I started treatment my eltroxin seemed to work better. I felt immediately improved. And my blood has improved too. The last bloods I had done, my tsh was 19. I know it sounds bad but it’s bloody amazing for me!

There’s only one in the unviversity hospital that I’m aware of. I’ve had palpitations from the beginning, it was what lead them to get me in with an endocrinologist. I started on 20mgs of inderal & still taking them as it’s only giving me temporary relief. I space them out & take them three times a day. I don’t have to do anything strenuous, the minute I open my eyes, my heart is leaping. I’m on 5mgs of neomercazole at the moment. When I visit him it’s every 3 months, he takes bloods at the end of my appointment & I’m sent away with meds according to the last reading. I’m either over or under, never inbetween. My hands are worsening, cramps from my wrist down to my fingers, tightening burning sensation, numbness. They tremble & feeding my daughter is hard when food spills from the spoon. Dispensing formula etc.

There’s only one in the unviversity hospital that I’m aware of. I’ve had palpitations from the beginning, it was what lead them to get me in with an endocrinologist. I started on 20mgs of inderal & still taking them as it’s only giving me temporary relief. I space them out & take them three times a day. I don’t have to do anything strenuous, the minute I open my eyes, my heart is leaping. I’m on 5mgs of neomercazole at the moment. When I visit him it’s every 3 months, he takes bloods at the end of my appointment & I’m sent away with meds according to the last reading. I’m either over or under, never inbetween. My hands are worsening, cramps from my wrist down to my fingers, tightening burning sensation, numbness. They tremble & feeding my daughter is hard when food spills from the spoon. Dispensing formula etc.

What’s your free t4 and tsh?

What’s your free t4 and tsh?

No one ever says. No one calls to update me. He’s not even been forthcoming with information to my GP. He’s had to chase him up for results which is why I’m desperate to transfer my care back to him.

No one ever says. No one calls to update me. He’s not even been forthcoming with information to my GP. He’s had to chase him up for results which is why I’m desperate to transfer my care back to him.

You should ask for your results to be sent to you or drop in and get them. They're very handy to have to keep an eye on your levels.

jellybear wrote: »
    You should ask for your results to be sent to you or drop in and get them. They're very handy to have to keep an eye on your levels.

I phoned to ask for the blood results once & they wouldn’t give them to me, only my GP. The GP had to request them as they wouldn’t pass them to the secretary either.

I phoned to ask for the blood results once & they wouldn’t give them to me, only my GP. The GP had to request them as they wouldn’t pass them to the secretary either.

That's awful isn't it. Surely you're entitled to them? Maybe I'm just lucky as where I get my bloods, they email them to me with a password and I send them on to my consultant. Hope you get sorted soon :)

• Advertisement

jellybear wrote: »
    That's awful isn't it. Surely you're entitled to them? Maybe I'm just lucky as where I get my bloods, they email them to me with a password and I send them on to my consultant. Hope you get sorted soon :)

Thank you. I just need this consultants letter to push through my claim. He wasn’t helpful on first application & I’m told a gps letter isn’t enough.

Thank you. I just need this consultants letter to push through my claim. He wasn’t helpful on first application & I’m told a gps letter isn’t enough.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/legal_matters_and_health/access_to_medical_records.html

Not sure if that's of any help to you but might be worth a read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 eamonnkenny

redcatstar wrote: »
    Hi my tsh was over 130 it's an awful shock. If your on fb there is a good irish group called Thyroid Ireland. Don't feel bad thyroid is a very understated disease, it affects literally ever cell in your body

redcatstar wrote: »
    Hi my tsh was over 130 it's an awful shock. If your on fb there is a good irish group called Thyroid Ireland. Don't feel bad thyroid is a very understated disease, it affects literally ever cell in your body

TSH is of not of the utmost importance over all from what I've seen in my wives case. TSH is like trying to measure a trains speed down a hill when the hill is already assisting because of gravity. In other words its a combination of T4 and T3 and just works for a large number of cases but not for all. My wives TSH will never be in balance even though she is now very well. She has Hashimoto (no thryoid glands). You need to see what is your active T3 and T4. It is very well understood, but not in Ireland by GPs. It requires some statistical analysis and a balancing act is required with medication if your thryoid glands are dying. Some people are allergic to levothyroxine so they have to take armour or nature thyroid. I'm glad to have my wife back but its took over 2 years of death of her thyroid. The HSE should remove the glands in the case of Hashimoto Hypothyroidism. hypothyroidmom is the best website out there for understanding the issues. The fact that T3 is not regularly checked in Ireland's bloodbanks is a disgrace. Even worse is that if you have the allergic problem, you are not covered for Armour or Nature on the Drugs Payment Scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Even worse is that if you have the allergic problem, you are not covered for Armour or Nature on the Drugs Payment Scheme.

My Armour is covered on the DPS, I pay €134 or so each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 eamonnkenny

Staplor wrote: »
    My Armour is covered on the DPS, I pay €134 or so each month.

My wife was told by her pharmacist that it wasn't covered so she changed to Nature which is cheaper, with no ill effects. (for her at least)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

BTW, monitoring TSH is important, if anything to see if the levothyroxine is working as it should. For instance, an elevated TSH with an elevated or even a normal FT4 may be an indication that there's an absorption problem, or so my GP was told by a senior consultant: switching from a tablet to a liquid form of levothyroxine can make a huge difference even in a very short span of time, and even without having to resort to the NDT.

Totally disagree with 2 points there Eamon.
    My tsh was 347 at its very worst. I could have died. It was effectively a myxedema coma. My gp was troubled because she had literally never seen anyone with a tsh over 50, so it certainly not a random result.

When mine was so bad I struggled to get out of bed, to walk, to shower and in the latter weeks before diagnosis I struggled to eat and drink. I didn’t know any better, it got worse and worse until I was where I was. I didn’t even remember what it was like to not feel like that.

Now my tsh is in the 20s and while that’s amazing for me, I still would have the brain fog and irritability that comes with hypo. I can only dream of how well I would feel if my tsh ever got down to 1 or 2, just like I could only dream of ever feeling like a 20 something year old when my tsh was 347.

I think unless you specifically have thyroid problems yourself, you cannot begin to imagine the effect a high tsh has on your body. I’ve been tired in my life, and sick in my life but I’ve never known either like a thyroid tired and a thyroid sickness.

I don’t agree with thyroid being removed in hashimotos case either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

My wife was told by her pharmacist that it wasn't covered so she changed to Nature which is cheaper, with no ill effects. (for her at least)

Not sure how it's happening for me tbh, I had read it wasn't covered too. How much is the Nature out of interest?

I have a question, I phoned round for another endocrinologist but apart from the one I have, all others are private & I can’t afford private care. If my consultant won’t provide me with a letter, could I submit a reading of the heart holter that I’ll have fitted Wednesday in replace?

• Advertisement

I have a question, I phoned round for another endocrinologist but apart from the one I have, all others are private & I can’t afford private care. If my consultant won’t provide me with a letter, could I submit a reading of the heart holter that I’ll have fitted Wednesday in replace?
    You may be better off asking in the state benefits forum sunshine, to be honest. I’d have no real understanding of the application because I never went out on sick leave. I would guess though if the consultant won’t give you a letter he probably seems it not to be a disability, and I don’t know if a one time reading from a heart monitor would prove that you were incapable of working?
    You would most likely need to find an endocrinologist who will agree it’s a disability.

Advertisement