Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thyroid misery

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

And I’ve had three different endocrinologists (2 different clinics) and the one consistent thing they all reassured me with was that once they get the levels of medication correct, then the good news is your thyroid is actually very easily managed once you’re taking care of yourself. So don’t be disheartened, chances are once your endo sorts out your meds and you’re on the right dose, you’ll have a much better quality of life and return to work.

I know how hopeless it feels that you’ll never feel better but it does get better

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunshine lollipop

And I’ve had three different endocrinologists (2 different clinics) and the one consistent thing they all reassured me with was that once they get the levels of medication correct, then the good news is your thyroid is actually very easily managed once you’re taking care of yourself. So don’t be disheartened, chances are once your endo sorts out your meds and you’re on the right dose, you’ll have a much better quality of life and return to work.

I know how hopeless it feels that you’ll never feel better but it does get better

Thank you. I have posted in state benefits but I was made to feel like it wasn’t an illness, I wasn’t worthy of it despite being on illness benefit from the start of 2018. I’m no longer entitled to it hence why applying for DA. That alone should tell SW I’m incapable of work. My GP knows my struggle with current endocrinologist, would he be able to refer me to another or how does it work because I’ve already been appointed one.

To be honest sunshine’s, it sounds more like an endocrinologist problem than a thyroid one. I’m not judging at all, I know how awful it is but I nearly died from mine, and thanks to an amazing team I was on the road to recovery almost immediately. If you got the correct care you might not even need it. I’d def change consultants

Also, I was initially under mullingar and wasn’t happy so asked my dr to refer to another one, didn’t mind paying. She sent the letter off to st James and I had an appointment two or three days later. You’ll need a go to refer you whether you go private or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

So an update on the above ... TSH levels are okay, T4 and Free T4 levels are low, everything else looks fine. So the GP doesn't want to put me on anything for now. She's changing up some of my other meds, but nothing for the thyroid.

I'm a bit annoyed, obviously I respect her opinion but I've been in and out since last summer with the above issues, fatigue in particular. It's really impacting my life, it's frustrating to be told there's nothing she can do. Especially when the T4 stuff is on the low side; I'm trying to educate myself on what that even means, this is all new to me.

Anyways I'll be getting a second opinion from my psychiatrist when I see her next, my GP is new but my psychiatrist will have my blood results from the last few years, so she'll be able to see if anything has changed.

Just wondering has anyone any opinions or experience of the above? Much appreciated!

• Advertisement

I had a round of bloods taken on Wednesday, they came back normal but despite them being normal, I feel worse than ever.

I had a round of bloods taken on Wednesday, they came back normal but despite them being normal, I feel worse than ever.

Have they started to investigate what else it might be? What was the results of the t4 and tsh this time? To be honest it doesn’t sound typically thyroid.

Have they started to investigate what else it might be? What was the results of the t4 and tsh this time? To be honest it doesn’t sound typically thyroid.

The nurse phoned & just said normal. I asked how could they be normal & still be symptomatic. She said it would rest on the heart holter monitor I had fitted on the same day for 24 hours but I have to chase those up. I’ve phoned both cardiology & endocronology but no one has gotten back to me yet. I have booked myself in for another ECG at my GP on Friday because even at rest, my heart is erratic. I have a whole range of problems. In particular my heart, but because they’ve labelled it hyperthyroid, I’m having trouble getting referred to anyone else. My hands are full of pain & tremors in them both too. Muscle weakness in tops of thighs, arms, shoulders & my feet too. I cry every day because I’m stuck with it. My dad has a thyroid issue as does my sister. My mother’s fsmuly suffer with arthritis & heart problems. My hands could possibly be arthritis but on my last app with GP on Friday to get a letter for my appeal, I asked to be examined, I cried to be examined & he wouldn’t, telling me the department doctor would do that if necessary. He made me out to be a liar, that because my bloods are normal, im fit & healthy. I haven’t had a follow up appointment sent despite asking since the nurses strike to see the endocrinologist.

Jesus that sounds awful. Ring your nurse back and ask for the actual results and keep them as a record for yourself. Every month you have your bloods done, keep the results yourself. You’ll see fluctuations and be able to gauge what’s normal for you.

Jesus that sounds awful. Ring your nurse back and ask for the actual results and keep them as a record for yourself. Every month you have your bloods done, keep the results yourself. You’ll see fluctuations and be able to gauge what’s normal for you.

I don’t know what’s normal for me anymore because I’ve been suffering with all of this since the birth of my baby in August 17. They initially thought it was post partum thyroid but it didn’t get better, it got worse. You’re the first empathetic person I’ve come across because no one else gives a **** how I’m feeling, outside of my family. I was even embarrassed to tell my mam because of how my dad suffers. I kept thinking will she blame him for passing it on, is it genetic. I don’t want to end up like him but without the right treatment, I’m on that slope. I’m considering changing my GP. The woman who diagnosed me, is gone from Limerick, she’s moved on now to Tipp & id go back to her but I can’t manage it. Even reading through my medical records, she had long discussions with me about how I felt, bothered to examine me. No one over there does that. I remember being sat in front of one last summer rubbing my chest on the verge of tears, why are you rubbing your chest, he asks. I told him I was in chronic pain & it was dismissed & he’s an old school senior doctor. You would think he’d know to examine someone when they present themselves with pain, particularly in your chest.

• Advertisement

I think you need to find a good dr who will listen to you. If you’re not well, they need to listen and find out what it is. Are you feeling anxious about how bad you’re feeling? Could that be making you worse? I’d recommend keeping an eye on everything. I know that my blood pressure naturally is quite low. Usually low 90s over high 60s. So when I go to the dr and they take my blood pressure and it’s 125/95 even though it’s “normal” it’s not normal for me.
    My tsh would be amazing at 9. Like I’d be so proud of my thyroid! If I ever got that result back. Someone else might be on deaths door with a 9.

How did the monitor go? How is your pulse?

I know what it feels like to feel so sick like no part of you works and yet nobody can tie it all together and tell you what’s wrong. It’s like trying to untangle Xmas lights but with your body. Once you get a good dr that will listen to you, hopefully that will change. One thing to bear in mind is that your thyroid is an auto immune condition, as is something like RA or PsA. That doesn’t always show up in bloods straight away.

When I went to my own gp that day I was very unwell, she said it could be my gallbladder or ceoliac that was making me so unwell, so it could be literally anything and you’re being fobbed off with your thyroid. So I think once you get someone who listens, that’s going to be a huge chunk of the battle won.

I think you need to find a good dr who will listen to you. If you’re not well, they need to listen and find out what it is. Are you feeling anxious about how bad you’re feeling? Could that be making you worse? I’d recommend keeping an eye on everything. I know that my blood pressure naturally is quite low. Usually low 90s over high 60s. So when I go to the dr and they take my blood pressure and it’s 125/95 even though it’s “normal” it’s not normal for me.
    My tsh would be amazing at 9. Like I’d be so proud of my thyroid! If I ever got that result back. Someone else might be on deaths door with a 9.

How did the monitor go? How is your pulse?

I know what it feels like to feel so sick like no part of you works and yet nobody can tie it all together and tell you what’s wrong. It’s like trying to untangle Xmas lights but with your body. Once you get a good dr that will listen to you, hopefully that will change. One thing to bear in mind is that your thyroid is an auto immune condition, as is something like RA or PsA. That doesn’t always show up in bloods straight away.

When I went to my own gp that day I was very unwell, she said it could be my gallbladder or ceoliac that was making me so unwell, so it could be literally anything and you’re being fobbed off with your thyroid. So I think once you get someone who listens, that’s going to be a huge chunk of the battle won.

Ideally, I’d like one close to home to get to easily when I need to but I don’t give a **** at this point, so long as they’re caring toward me & my daughter. I’m not overly anxious, I would say I’m more in a Depressed mindset because I’m not getting any better. I don’t understand how any of it works, I have phoned the nurse back & left message to phone me so maybe you could help explain what it means when I have the results if you wouldn’t mind, please. It was in comfortable to wear & hard to keep intact when you’ve got a small person obsessed with the wires but it was a while before I saw the activity sheet in the envelope so I don’t know if my timeline is accurate but I did my best. That’ll probably come back normal too. It’s not just palpitations, it’s chest pain too & I think it only reads where it’s connected. I didn’t think to check my pulse, it seems ok now but never think to check when I’m having what feels like a heart attack. Surely it’s not normal to feel pain in the socket of your armpit when your heart is leaping?

Well I know I would be petrified if I felt that in my chest. Have you had a stress test or anything done? Have you presented to a+e when you get this feeling? I am hypo, but I will help you as much as I understand with your results. When she calls back ask for the previous couple of results too.
    Ask what exact blood test has been done. Have you been diagnosed with Graves Disease? Have you had an ultrasound on your thyroid?
    Ask if they’ve checked rumathoid factors in your bloods. Ask what exactly they test for. Write everything down.

Well I know I would be petrified if I felt that in my chest. Have you had a stress test or anything done? Have you presented to a+e when you get this feeling? I am hypo, but I will help you as much as I understand with your results. When she calls back ask for the previous couple of results too.
    Ask what exact blood test has been done. Have you been diagnosed with Graves Disease? Have you had an ultrasound on your thyroid?
    Ask if they’ve checked rumathoid factors in your bloods. Ask what exactly they test for. Write everything down.

No, they only offered an ecg & bloods. It was me who asked for the holter. I’m desperate to find an answer as to why I am this way. I haven’t been to a&e because I live miles from the hospital & I have no minder for my daughter, she picks up every infection over there when I go to ny appointments. I’ve had an ultrasound in the beginning, again, no one told me the results. They’re on my records which are being printed by a friend to send off but the fact myvbloods are normal will scrap every other bit of evidence I have to prove I’m unwell. The blood form was for thyroid as far as I am aware. I’ll have to ask if they tested for anything else. They never said graves but I thought hyperthyroidism was graves?

It could very well be, but I know with the hypo it can be hashimotos or not. I was thinking hyper could be graves or not. I could be wrong.
    If they’re not doing a full blood count, or at least exploring other possibilities on why you’re unwell, then you’ll never feel any better than you do right now.
    Is there anyone who could help you out with childcare while you get this sorted once and for all? When you feel like your heart is in your arm pit that’s the time to let the dr examine you, instead of waiting days or weeks for an ecg. Doesn’t sound like you’re being examined at all, I hope I’m wrong.

Once you start to understand results and stuff a little bit more you may be able to fight your corner more.

It could very well be, but I know with the hypo it can be hashimotos or not. I was thinking hyper could be graves or not. I could be wrong.
    If they’re not doing a full blood count, or at least exploring other possibilities on why you’re unwell, then you’ll never feel any better than you do right now.
    Is there anyone who could help you out with childcare while you get this sorted once and for all? When you feel like your heart is in your arm pit that’s the time to let the dr examine you, instead of waiting days or weeks for an ecg. Doesn’t sound like you’re being examined at all, I hope I’m wrong.

Once you start to understand results and stuff a little bit more you may be able to fight your corner more.

Ok so the nurse just phoned me back, they were tested for thyroid in particular but everything else was tested too, liver, kidneys etc & all normal.

The endocrinologist isn’t giving them the bloods I have taken at the hospital, they only have jan 18 on record & Wednesday. In January the T4 was 80.7 & TSH was 0.05. Last week, T4 was 14.2 & TSH 1.95. None of this makes any sense to me but she said anything under 20 is considered normal.

January the t4 seems excessively high but maybe someone with hyper could come and give you more advice? February seems perfect. Did you change med dose in between Jan and now?

January the t4 seems excessively high but maybe someone with hyper could come and give you more advice? February seems perfect. Did you change med dose in between Jan and now?

Inderal for tremors & heart wasn’t changed, still at 2x10mgs but neomercazole was reduced from 10mgs to 1x5mgs.

I don’t feel any better for them reduced. I feel worse but it seems to be keeping it at a normal range.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Hi all,
    Just joining in, to see has anyone similar experience. I was diagnosed 20yrs ago at 18 with hypothyroidism, i was put on eltroxin and went on my way, getting bloods checked every year never really giving it a second thought.
    About 4 yrs ago i really started to struggle, bloods were fine so we started years of testing, mri, nerve conduction, full bloods, neuroligy and so on, physiotherapy to help with pains, looking for something else.
    Only recently, after getting these nights of waking up in the small hours with fuzzy head, dizzy and general ill feeling, i realized that was the very symptom that had finally got me to the doctor many years ago. And so i started searching and for the first time realized so many people still suffer even with treatment and bloods within range. Yet, never has any doctor mentioned to me anything but that once on meds and with normal blood everything was fine.
    I am so up and down these last 4 years, my life is completely different, there are days where i am completely overwhelmed for no particular reason at all. I have nerve pains, concentration problems, so tired, but the worst has to be the foggy head, out of the blue without warning, and the sleep problems, big vicious circle that it is!

Has anyone experience a return or a continuity of symptoms after treatment and with bloods in range? Where do you go from here?

I thought I’d update. I’ve been back & forward to GP & endocrinologist. The good news is, they no longer think it’s a thyroid issue & im being weaned off meds. However, because I remain symptomatic, & acquired a whole host of new symptoms, endocrinologist is positive I have a form of MS so back to GP for neurologist referral & MRI.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Been feeling a bit crappy recently with no explanation. Just had my latest TSH result which are slap bang in the middle of the "normal" range, so the GP won't flag anything up. But it is the highest it's been for me since being diagnosed and higher than a level I was still unhappy with when first trying to find the right level for me, and that took some letters from a consultant at the hospital to the GP to get them to let me up my dose to a level I was happier with.

Think I'm going to need to go through that battle again. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 44 hadenoughofit

Hi guys. I've posted before about the minefield that surrounds thyroid matters.

This responds to some of the above based on my own experience - I'm not medical and know only what I've experienced. The aim is just to flag the existence of a much bigger picture than is often recognised - in the hope that those with problems will get reading, working and in co-operation with expert help make their own calls.

My suspicion from my own experience and many years of contact with other sufferers is that these days it's less and less often the case that when fatigue and other metabolic conditions arise that simple hypothyroidism is the problem. (that's the classic situation where the thyroid is not producing enough hormone as a result of especially iodine and other key mineral deficiencies, and may go on to enlarge or form a goitre in its efforts to do so)

Yet medicine tends often to behave as though anything else is very unlikely. There's younger doctors coming through now who do seem to have a more holistic view of these matters, but back in the 80s and 90s it was especially difficult to get past stock protocols.

We can in these times of nutritionally deficient produce often benefit from extra iodine and minerals (there's lots written on these topics on the mainstream thyroid help sites), and it's true that the standard blood hormone ranges medicine regards as normal don't seem to suit everybody (i need my TSH very low to feel right) - but increasingly it seems that people are developing secondary hypothyroidism.

In that case the blood hormone levels are often fine, but due to immune, toxicity induced or other problems (mercury leakage from tooth fillings can be a factor) which disrupt the enzyme reactions by which the hormone does its job in cell metabolism/energy production we're left badly hypothyroid despite having 'normal' levels of hormone in circulation.

It seems increasingly likely that much secondary hypothyroidism is underpinned by auto-immune issues - consequent to lifestyle, dietary, mind state and exposure internal or external to toxic materials. Long running and repeated personal experience suggests however that at least some of the the available forms of immune testing (including more specific ones like those for thyroid antibodies) are not very reliable.

Increasing the thryoid hormone dose may occasionally help secondary hypothyroidism somewhat, but it's not going to resolve underlying causes. There's a view that very early supplementation is unwise, as this takes the load off the thyroid, it adapts to the new reduced demand and reduces output to ensure hypothyroidism unless the replacement is continued.

My own experience suggests that even with thyroid supplementation there's often a wide range of lifestyle and other factors as above that need sorting as well to if not remove at least bring the situation under control.

There's people reporting having reversed auto-immune thyroid disease (including Hashimotos) and the like via lifestyle, dietary and similar means, so provided the situation hasn't progressed beyond recovery methods like these can deliver very real results. They need to be applied even if thyroid hormone or other treatments are started, as it's fairly clearly not possible to be well if the underlying causes are not addressed as well as the symptoms.

Another difficulty is that it can in the earlier stages be very difficult to distinguish between the symptoms produced by over and under active thyroid - they can be very similar. Both are often caused by immune issues however...

Stress is a huge contributor to these conditions. The consequent chronically high levels of blood cortisol mess with the thyroid metabolism, cause the gut function/digestion to output lots of sugars and to not absorb nutrients (and supplements) very well, mess with mind state and lead to gut inflammation and chronic over stimulation of the immune system.

Continuing over stimulation of the immune system apart from often causing thyroid related problems creates a greatly increased risk of eventually developing one of the very serious auto immune caused diseases. Research increasingly suggests that most of the diseases that kill us these days are driven by long term lower level immune disturbances anyway - including seemingly unrelated such as cardio vascular problems.

Avoidance of stress can require mindwork (learning to meditate, sorting out one's views on life, minimal use of mobile phones/social media and so on) and big life and work changes. (get away from toxic relationships, get off sleep disrupting shift work, stop using computers etc in the evening)

Basic and strict dietary changes may be needed to permit the immune system and the gut to calm down. (elimination or at least massive redictions in wheat, agrichemical residues, food additives, milk, sugar, too much carbohydrate intake etc etc) Then supplementation with key minerals etc.

Runaway levels of bad bugs in the gut (overgrowths are caused often by the above, and worsened by high sugar diets and digestive problems, and frequent or long term antibiotics) lead to multiple health problems, and reinforce much of the above - including irritable bowel, mood disturbances, Crohns and the like. Not to mention secondary stuff like thrush and so on.

Factory produced wheat based breads, pastries and other factory produced flour based products are especially problematical for many. This because of the cocktail of high gluten levels, agrichemical residues, sugar and additives they contain.

It can be worth getting tested for mercury toxicity because mercury messes with the enzyme processes by which we use thyroid hormone as well as many other digestive and other functions. If the result is positive there's a few docs around now offering chelation therapy to help get it out of our systems.

Reasonable exercise as practical is helpful, but when these conditions really get a grip it's scary how debilitating they can be. I found myself sleeping 12hrs plus a night, and experiencing the characteristic muscle aches just from raising my arms over my head in the shower to wash my hair. So go carefully, and listed to the body.

T3 thyroid hormone may be essential if the problem is secondary hypothyroidism - because the above mentioned enzyme problems (?) often leave us unable to use (actually to convert to active form) the T4 that is normally handed out for replacement. Prescribing T3 leap frogs this problem - it with enormous lifestyle changes after 20 years of problems with fatigue basically saved and gave me back much of my life.

Adrenal problems consequent to chronic stress and immune responses (immune reactions consequent to eg eating problem foods and suffering a reaction seem in my experience toresult in raised cortisol levels) can play a part too, and it's quite difficult to get tested in a manner which will detect a problem with eg low cortisol even if there is one. There are UK labs offering 24 hour adrenal profiles and the like which while not definitive can be very helpful. If we're low on cortisol then the thyroid metabolism gets messed up too.

Sleep apnoea it turns out can also be a cause of elevated night-time blood cortisol and deranged sleeping patterns, so it's important to get tested and treated if this is a risk. CPAP while inconvenient is if used consistently usually highly effective. The classic symptom is stopping breathing while deeply asleep, we're not aware of it normally but a partner may be.

The difficulty is that if even some of the above factors develop they can bring about a situation where T4 won't do the job, and where even T3 in isolation won't necessarily restore well-being. There's usually a tipping point where something critcal stops working properly, and we suddenly are crippled by fatigue, and by low mood.

The brain is a big user of T3, so mood, concentration, eye sight and so on are affected when the situation becomes more severe. We often at that stage go on to develop all sorts of secondary conditions too - like immune and neurologically related problems, gut and digestive issues, food allergies or sensitivities, back problems, fatigue and low stamina, fibromyalgia, sleep disruptions, generalised aches and pains, arthritis, gout etc etc.

Professional medicine is often not very interested in engaging in the more holistic aspects of the thyroid and the wider lifestyle, adrenal and immune aspects of these situations. Most patients anyway want to be told 'pop this pill and it'll be OK in a week'. Not only that medicine doesn't seem to offer any definitive means of testing at GP or even consultant level for secondary hypothyroidism, and more and more docs show little or no interest in symtoms and patient feedback. Many it seems will run the stock T4/TSH tests, and if in range will insist regardless of patient symptoms and reported loss of well being that all is normal.

One of the problems in these situations is that it seems to be possible to be quite ill, and yet to not deliver positive results in many of the lab tests in use. They seem to be geared more to identify illness that has progressed further...

This all means that if we're to make headway in resolving secondary hypothyroidsm caused by more holistic factors as above (they tend to interact and reinforce each other, creating a downward spiral) we must take ownership of the situation, read like mad, figure out possible causes of problems and fixes, and find ways to get to and work co-operatively with helpful doctors.

Luckily there's pretty decent information out there by now on the US and UK thyroid, adrenal and immune related self help websites, and in books. It takes time to absorb it, especially to tie togther how the differing areas tie in together - it becomes a real struggle when you're hypothyroid. Be aware also that a lot of what gets written may seem contradictory and isn't necessarily precisely accurate, but read enough feedback from sufferers on forums and the like for long enough and a fairly clear picture eventually emerges.

It's sadly if the situation has advanced to the point where we've developed some of the secondary consequential conditions likely not just a matter of popping a pill, it's more a matter of engaging on a journey which likely is going to consume many years to get the situation under control - but c'est la vie.

My own experience starting in the late 1980s and proceeding via many years of grinding fatigue caused by undiagnosed auto-immune thyroid disease and a thyroidectomy for a thyroid cancer in 2005 was that given hard work, determination, discipline and a bit of luck it's possible to halt the downward spiral and get these situations reasonably well under control - even if there's residual stuff like food sensitivities, loss of stamina and getting thyroid replacement working properly etc to work around...

We'd I'm sure save ourselves a lot of trouble if instead of getting fixated intellectually on what we think or are told we must 'do' in life that we instead from an early age just did what was truly necessary - and managed our level of commitment and behaviours in accordance what the body and inutitive mind are telling us.

Zen Buddhism characterises this with the saying 'when tired sleep'. The suggestion being that it requires considerable self work and ultimately skill to cultivate the ability and situation in life to truly respond to what we feel and know...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭VegetaIRL8e

Has anyone experience a return or a continuity of symptoms after treatment and with bloods in range? Where do you go from here?

Hey, Little late in reply. I was diagnosed at around 14yr old (35yr old now) and yep I still suffer some of the symptoms that come with tyroid. Im on 300mg daily of eltroxin and over the yrs, every 6 months, my tests come back all good, only once was my cholesterol high actually. I have days like you fuzzy head, waking up in the middle of the night full of energy only to be tired when it comes to actually getting up. Anxiety, which can be a bi-product triggering. Its never constant and only lasts days, a week at most. Only thing I can suggest is keeping an eye on B12 levels as well if you dont monitor them. Otherwise from speaking with my doc and endo you wont make it go away forever and its just something that has to be managed.

On a personal level, I found getting to the gym a huge help for a lot of my problems, but I think its more about getting into something active.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Im on 300mg daily of eltroxin..

300mcg? They normally use a different dosage label.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So I did a bit of Google research after my last TSH result and somehow ended up on some pages referring to effects on thyroid levels being caused by a particular new brand of insulin that I started on a few months back. Now pretty much the same warnings appear in the documentation for all insulins, but it just seemed to be slightly more pronounced in the one that I'd recently started on. Think the new insulin is essentially the same as my old one, but with some added B vitamin that makes it act quicker (but not entirely sure about that difference).

So as I still had a couple of vials of the old insulin in the fridge I've switched back again. Will be going along to the hospital for an insulin pump changeover in a month or so and they have said they will retest my TSH again then, but I'm pretty sure that things have turned around already and I'm feeling much better than just a week ago.

Now I've got the challenge of persuading the GP to change my prescription back again after it took a while to get it switched to the new one just a few months ago.

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Huh? No 300mg, high dossage.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

You sure?
    There’s 1000mcg in 1mg, 300mcg is a high enough dose for eltroxin but 300,000mcg (or 300mg) sounds insanely high. I’ve been on eltroxin since the mid nineties, current dosage for myself is weekdays 100mcg/weekends 50mcg. Don’t think I’ve ever been prescribed more than 150mcg per day since I started on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭holliehobbie

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Huh? No 300mg, high dossage.
    300mcg is a high dosage! It can't be 300mg or you would be dead!!!!!

You're right, only noticed that now :facepalm:
    Never noticed that it was micro rather than milli on the package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I am four months post thyroidectomy and I am on 200mcg of eltroxin a day. I had been out on 100mcg daily post op but my TSH had shot up significantly. Most recently I've had bloods which say its still too high, albeit lower than it had been, so I am presuming when I see endocrinology next week that the dosage will he increased.

Advertisement