Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thyroid misery

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

These eltroxin drugs are notoriously slow in affecting the body so it can take some time to find the right dosage for you. Might be worth keeping a diary of how you are feeling day-by-day to help the endocrine people adjusting your meds.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The other thing you could try is to get the doctor (either the GP or the consultant) to prescribe the liquid form of levothyroxine, it gets absorbed much better and more quickly than the tablet form.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

I know this is an old thread but came across it and so am posting to hear from others.... So was diagnosed with underactive thyroid a number of years ago and am on eltroxin

Just a number of things bout how I suffer from the condition...well that I am aware of

My skin is quite dry especially my thighs. Find it can be quite itchy at times.

Lethargic I find I can fall asleep too easily in work at home etc. If I am sitting down I can get a very heavy bout of tiredness and find it nigh impossible to stay awake even in front of people I can find it extremely hard to keep my eyes open

Hard to lose weight... I have lost some weight but found that the weight loss plateaued, I couldn't shift any more weight off

Has anyone else not suffered but experienced these

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Boronia

It seems that most Doctors and Endocrinologists have been taught that thyroid problems are easy to deal with, that minimal blood testing is needed and that Eltroxin is the only solution for Hypothyroidism.

In reality Eltroxin is not the answer for everyone.

It might be worth reading up on these websites about the many people who have had to search for better thyroid treatment after being given Eltroxin and their continuing symptoms dismissed by Doctors. An English site- tpauk.com, and an American site-stopthethyroidmadness.com

There are a few Doctors in Ireland who will prescribe other thyroid medications such as NDT (Natural Dessicated Thyroid). Many people find NDT (after more comprehensive blood testing) better than Eltroxin. It could be worth a try to find out if you are one of those people.

Best of luck

One thing I forgot to mention was that I also have Vitiligo, does any other thyroid sufferer have this too??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread but came across it and so am posting to hear from others.... So was diagnosed with underactive thyroid a number of years ago and am on eltroxin

Just a number of things bout how I suffer from the condition...well that I am aware of

My skin is quite dry especially my thighs. Find it can be quite itchy at times.

Lethargic I find I can fall asleep too easily in work at home etc. If I am sitting down I can get a very heavy bout of tiredness and find it nigh impossible to stay awake even in front of people I can find it extremely hard to keep my eyes open

Hard to lose weight... I have lost some weight but found that the weight loss plateaued, I couldn't shift any more weight off

Has anyone else not suffered but experienced these

M 38 Diagnosed Hypo Hashi's March 19. Took 6 months to figure out the correct dose of eltroxin. Curently on 125mg per day. I'm in the middle of a flair this week. 3 4 stone overweight currently.

Getting the dose right was a massive relief from the following symptoms:
    Mood swings
    Brain fog
    Anxiety
    Weight Gain
    Dry skin on face and scalp
    Letargy, low motivation

Medication is important, diet and lifestyle can reverse symptoms in some cases.
    I've got most of the above back this week due to falling off the diet.

My userstanding is the following is important
    AIP diet - in particular no gluten, no dairy (no cows milk)
    Walking, meditation, yoga type practice daily to manage stress
    This is the basic default advice. If you try the above you may notice significant changes in weeks.

In additon, I'm doing the following
    - ocean swims - 5 mins - cold water triggers immune response
    - sauna - reduce immflamation, immune response
    - run/ walk - 5 days per week
    - yoga - 2 days per week
    - all veg fresh organic
    - bone broth, saurkraut for gut restoration
    - selenium, magnesium supplments irregularly
    - no alcohol for 3 months from January and try reach consistency with the above
    - considering have my mercury fillings removed in the new year
    - using a water filter to remove flouride from home water
    - water fasting 48 hours 1 times weekly
    - 16/8 fasting on normal days

I havent done all the above, but my understanding is the above is the path towards healing and hopefully reducing my reliance on medication

[

quote="Johnny_BravoIII;112114289"]M 38 Diagnosed Hypo Hashi's March 19. Took 6 months to figure out the correct dose of eltroxin. Curently on 125mg per day. I'm in the middle of a flair this week. 3 4 stone overweight currently.

Mood swings
    Brain fog
    Anxiety
    Weight Gain
    Letargy, low motivation

This is the basic default advice. If you try the above you may notice significant changes in weeks.

- yoga - 2 days per week
    - all veg fresh organic

I havent done all the above, but my understanding is the above is the path towards healing and hopefully reducing my reliance on medication[/quote]

No cows milk! I do love dairy based food. Should I stop using cows milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

[

quote="Johnny_BravoIII;112114289"]M 38 Diagnosed Hypo Hashi's March 19. Took 6 months to figure out the correct dose of eltroxin. Curently on 125mg per day. I'm in the middle of a flair this week. 3 4 stone overweight currently.

Mood swings
    Brain fog
    Anxiety
    Weight Gain
    Letargy, low motivation

- yoga - 2 days per week
    - all veg fresh organic

I havent done all the above, but my understanding is the above is the path towards healing and hopefully reducing my reliance on medication

No cows milk! I do love dairy based food. Should I stop using cows milk[/quote]

Each person is different.
    No gluten, no dairy (in particular milk) is standard advice. In general, I'm eating a paleo diet. There is a version of the paleo diet called auto immune paleo AIP which some people have had success. More generally the common approach is to eliminate common triggers for a period before adding back in slowly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hashimotos-Protocol-Reversing-Thyroid-Symptoms/dp/006257129X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=wentz+thyroid&qid=1577584062&sr=8-1

You might choose to swich medications and have success. What I have outlined above is to try and stop the attack on the thyroid itself. To do this you would need to examine triggers. These are a range of diet and lifestyle factors which differ for everybody.

No gluten
    No dairy
    Meditation/ yoga/ walking 5 times weekly are the things which people find have the biggest impact. Start there and see where it brings you.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭tamara25

I got my thyroid tested before & was told it’s normal but can relate to a lot of the symptoms ye guys are talking about. Constipation, dry skin, mild anxiety & depression & the worst very heavy periods. I am cutting out gluten for a month to see if it helps. I see flouride being mentioned also. That is in the back of my mind also to go caffeine free. It won’t be extremely hard as most days I only have 1 cup of green tea. Has anyone read dr d’amamo book, he specifically mentions blood type o being susceptible to thyroid issues which I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Before I was given meds for my thyroid I was normal to, with normal being a range that made me feel terrible. It wasn't until I want over a certain threshold my doctor could prescribe me meds.

I know that doesn't really help much but it might be worth pushing them? Also, what did your bloods come back as, I forget the figures but someone might be able to shed some light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

tamara25 wrote: »
    I got my thyroid tested before & was told it’s normal but can relate to a lot of the symptoms ye guys are talking about. Constipation, dry skin, mild anxiety & depression & the worst very heavy periods. I am cutting out gluten for a month to see if it helps. I see flouride being mentioned also. That is in the back of my mind also to go caffeine free. It won’t be extremely hard as most days I only have 1 cup of green tea. Has anyone read dr d’amamo book, he specifically mentions blood type o being susceptible to thyroid issues which I am.

Did you get a copy of the blood test results? I'd always recommend having a look at them yourself. Doctors can often ignore results that are just about in range but clearly not optimal. Also see if they checked TPO and TG antibodies as well as TSH and free T4 which they normally do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My doctor advised against cutting out gluten unless you actually have no choice (coeliac), I told him I’d cut out to help my thyroid and he said not to. I would double check with your gp before cutting out entire food groups!

Picked up a book in a local charity shop today...

"The Thyroid Diet - Manage your metabolism for Lasting Weight Loss" by Mary J. Shomon released through Harper

from 2004 but maybe some nuggets of information and help

Forgot to mention just went to Doctor for my annual blood test - mentioned to him that even though I am on Eltroxin 50 micro gramme except Mon/ Wed & Fri when I take 100 micro gramme I still get very tired to the point of falling asleep in front of people in work finding it very hard to keep my eyelids open. I would get sudden bouts of tiredness etc etc.

My doctor mentioned that the blood test is the only method of determining your thyroid levels not the symptoms you are presenting to the doctor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Forgot to mention just went to Doctor for my annual blood test - mentioned to him that even though I am on Eltroxin 50 micro gramme except Mon/ Wed & Fri when I take 100 micro gramme I still get very tired to the point of falling asleep in front of people in work finding it very hard to keep my eyelids open. I would get sudden bouts of tiredness etc etc.

My doctor mentioned that the blood test is the only method of determining your thyroid levels not the symptoms you are presenting to the doctor!

New doctor time I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

When mine goes borderline low I'm extremely symptomatic, my energy levels and mental health really suffer. My GP won't increase it when I'm like that but my psychiatrist does, and it's been working for me so far. Stupid really, I mean I'm sure everyone has a slightly different baseline, what might be an ok level for one person could be completely crippling for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Hello, I'm new to Thyroid Misery. I've been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. My gp has put me on 25mg rotated with 50mg each month. I started it on Friday but ever since I've started to get dizzy spells once or twice a day. Its doesnt debilitate me or anything, is this a side effect of eltroxin or has anyone experienced this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

pew wrote: »
    Hello, I'm new to Thyroid Misery. I've been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. My gp has put me on 25mg rotated with 50mg each month. I started it on Friday but ever since I've started to get dizzy spells once or twice a day. Its doesnt debilitate me or anything, is this a side effect of eltroxin or has anyone experienced this before?

You might want to check with your doctor about that, and it might be a good idea if you tell him or her of when the dizziness starts. I have a little bit of dizziness when literally I stand up from being sitting, not in a rush or anything, but it's because I have low blood pressure that seems to be related to being hypo (underactive) and getting the levels somehow normal does not help with the blood pressure completely. Once I get moving it goes away.

Try to keep track of when it happens and talk with them: maybe is the medication or maybe you need an adjustment to the medication or maybe is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

tanit wrote: »
    You might want to check with your doctor about that, and it might be a good idea if you tell him or her of when the dizziness starts. I have a little bit of dizziness when literally I stand up from being sitting, not in a rush or anything, but it's because I have low blood pressure that seems to be related to being hypo (underactive) and getting the levels somehow normal does not help with the blood pressure completely. Once I get moving it goes away.

Try to keep track of when it happens and talk with them: maybe is the medication or maybe you need an adjustment to the medication or maybe is something else.

I'm the opposite I have slightly high blood pressure. I was only in with him yesterday about something else but I'll keep track of it.

I wasnt too sure if it is a side effect or not but just wanted to check still very new to this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

pew wrote: »
    I'm the opposite I have slightly high blood pressure. I was only in with him yesterday about something else but I'll keep track of it.

I wasnt too sure if it is a side effect or not but just wanted to check still very new to this :)

Do check with him but more than likely what is going to happen is that the medication is affecting your blood pressure and that change vs your old blood pressure can be felt like dizziness. And definitely at the beginning you might feel a lot the changes that are happening with the medication, not because is a side effect of the medication but because the body needs a bit of time to adjust to the changes that are taking place.

But just to be sure mention that to him and keep track of when it happens and for how long, it will help him to know what it could be going on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Just been to the doctors after getting blood tests, I have an over active thyroid and have been put on medication for the rest of my days as a result. Just looking to hear from others about their experiences, my cholesterol is 7.0 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Just been to the doctors after getting blood tests, I have an over active thyroid and have been put on medication for the rest of my days as a result. Just looking to hear from others about their experiences, my cholesterol is 7.0 as well

Are you sure you're not underactive rather than overactive? Medication for evermore sounds like under to me. Being overactive requires further investigation.

High cholesterol goes hand in hand with underactive thyroid. Should come down a bit once thyroid is under control.

I've been on Eltroxin for many decades as have most people on this thread. Getting the dose right is the biggest challenge. Make sure to get bloods done again afer 6 - 8 weeks and always get a copy of your results from the doctor as it will show you where in the range you are.

Google Mary Shomon, she has a lot of info on her website.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Are you sure you're not underactive rather than overactive? Medication for evermore sounds like under to me. Being overactive requires further investigation.

High cholesterol goes hand in hand with underactive thyroid. Should come down a bit once thyroid is under control.

I've been on Eltroxin for many decades as have most people on this thread. Getting the dose right is the biggest challenge. Make sure to get bloods done again afer 6 - 8 weeks and always get a copy of your results from the doctor as it will show you where in the range you are.

Google Mary Shomon, she has a lot of info on her website.

Best of luck.

apologies,

It’s under active. I’m on eltroxin now for life. Cant for the life of me shift the weight. Will give that a look thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I know there timing of this post may be a bit coincidental but I'm sure this is not COVID related.

For the longest time I've gotten coughs that feel like having a dry throat (I think), usual in the evening or at night but not exclusively so. In trying to figure out the cause of the cough we discovered I had a swollen thyroid (2 nodules also) and later an under active one. As time went the couch was forgotten but I still get it regularly, I've never quite figured out why.

What I'm wondering is if others have experienced a similar issue with this returning cough? I've discussed it with my GP a few times, he prescribed a nasal wash thinking I had a nasal drip, which I didn't think really helped. I have a new sorry here now that I'm not totally sure if and a referral letter for a chest x-ray (which I'll sit on until this COVID pandemic passes).

Is this common with thyroid issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Oige1981

One thing I forgot to mention was that I also have Vitiligo, does any other thyroid sufferer have this too??

I also have vitiligo I’m 38 Male and it’s on my hands and face - my eyes are all white and face tanned - I wear glasses but it’s the skin colour I’ve never been I just put up with it now nothing I can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Galbin

apologies,

It’s under active. I’m on eltroxin now for life. Cant for the life of me shift the weight. Will give that a look thanks.

Most people can't lose weight with the way thyroid is treated in this country. Most people are put on Eltroxin only and at a super low dose to boot simply because doctors are obsessed with the TSH test (which research is finally starting to show is not the best thyroid test at all; FT3 is the one that tracks symptoms most closely). A low dose of T4 does not mimic the thyroid production of normal people, which is why weight is an issue.

Do you like to read? I have read reams of thyroid books over the past decade, but in my opinion the best one is "The Thyroid Patients Manual" by Paul Robinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just came across this thread and very insightful. There's very little information about Greaves Disease, which I was diagnosed with over 2 years ago. It has certainly changed my life and thankfully I've a great consultant in Portlaoise. Sadly, mine was improving but medication had to be increased recently. I'm currently on 4 tablets a day as I have additional complications associated with Graves, are very high blood pressure and more worrying cholesterol levels that are very high. My consultant believes my illness is familial, hereditary, I've the added complication of not having any knowledge or contact with family (another long story) but no regrets.

I've lived a perfectly normal life, 53 this year, never spent a day in hospital until recently (broken leg) the Graves diagnose was a bolt out of the blue.

Tiredness, Muscle ache and a bizzare resistance to heat (I rarely feel cold) are common side affects but insomnia the worst aspect, I'm lucky if I get 3, maybe 4 hours of sleep a night.

I live with now, it can be difficult but it's likely I'll be on meds for the rest of my life, Thankfully I've not missed any work but I sense that will change in time. Diet is important so anyone struggling do look at your diet and exercise might seem like a chore but even a regular walk is a good thing.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, thanks to OP for starting it

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

My thyroid medicine seems to've caused tinnitus... and I don't mind saying, it's driving me up.the.proverbial.wall (and worsening!)
    The loud, endless ringing is so much less tolerant than my (tremendous) thyroid exhaustion and if I could (ever) get off the blasted medication, I would!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Deja Boo wrote: »
    My thyroid medicine seems to've caused tinnitus... and I don't mind saying, it's driving me up.the.proverbial.wall (and worsening!)
    The loud ringing is so much less tolerant than my thyroid exhaustion and if I could (ever) get off the blasted medication, I would!

That's not a side affect of the medication I've heard about, have you discussed with your GP?, I've actually rarely discussed my meds with my GP, mostly managed by my specialist, who I see every 3/6 months but if any issues my GP emails him at the clinic I attend

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Dempo1 wrote: »
    That's not a side affect of the medication I've heard about, have you discussed with your GP?, I've actually rarely discussed my meds with my GP, mostly managed by my specialist, who I see every 3/6 months but if any issues my GP emails him at the clinic I attend

I did yeah, awhile ago, and she suggested it was probably a side affect from the medication, then she dismissed my complaint...

Advertisement