Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom copyright letter

Options
  • 21-03-2011 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I did a search for this, and the result I got was from early 2010 and seemed to indicate that no one had received one of these. If I missed another thread, I'm very sorry.

I got what I understand to be a typical Eircom copyright notification.

"As part of eircom's approach to combat illegal music sharing we have agreed to work with the Irish Recorded Music Association... etc."

What do I do from here? Am I going to be brought to court? I'm a bit worried. Is there something I can do to prevent myself from receiving one of these in future (barring the obvious, don't download illegal files).

Any help you could offer me would be invaluable. Thank you very much for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Fionn MD wrote: »
    (barring the obvious, don't download illegal files)
    What's illegal is illegal.

Did it say if it was just a warning or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What do I do from here? Am I going to be brought to court?

Read the letter, it tells you what is happening.

Is there something I can do to prevent myself from receiving one of these in future (barring the obvious, don't download illegal files).

That's the only legal thing you can do.
    Any help you could offer me would be invaluable.

Anyone offering ways to circumvent this, or helping with downloading copyright material, will be banned for doing so. I would advise everyone not to answer this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

the only way to avoid those emails (apart from not downloading illegally) is to change isp. UPC stood up to the music crowd and won its case. eircom are a bunch of wusses that stupidily signed up to that deal when they could of had balls like UPC did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

No your not being brought to court. They give you 3 warnings then cut off your internet for a week or two is all I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Moved to Eircom talk to forum (http://www.boards.ie/eircom)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fionn MD

Thank you all very much for your advice. You've been very helpful.
    jor el wrote: »
    Read the letter, it tells you what is happening.

That's the only legal thing you can do.

Anyone offering ways to circumvent this, or helping with downloading copyright material, will be banned for doing so. I would advise everyone not to answer this.

I asked questions, which I was hoping someone would be able to answer, thus assisting me. I never asked anyone to help me circumvent anything. I asked for some assistance because I was unsure of what would happen next with the letter. In no way did I even imply that I wanted help circumventing anything, or downloading copyrighted material. I'd appreciate it if you'd read my posts before replying in future. I don't appreciate being made to look like I'm doing something which I am not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

I did a search for this, and the result I got was from early 2010 and seemed to indicate that no one had received one of these. If I missed another thread, I'm very sorry.

I got what I understand to be a typical Eircom copyright notification.

"As part of eircom's approach to combat illegal music sharing we have agreed to work with the Irish Recorded Music Association... etc."

What do I do from here? Am I going to be brought to court? I'm a bit worried. Is there something I can do to prevent myself from receiving one of these in future (barring the obvious, don't download illegal files).

Any help you could offer me would be invaluable. Thank you very much for your time.

Hi Fionn MD,

We set up a thread regarding this issue -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056113645&highlight=strikes

If you have any follow up queries let me know.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I never asked anyone to help me circumvent anything. I asked for some assistance because I was unsure of what would happen next with the letter. In no way did I even imply that I wanted help circumventing anything, or downloading copyrighted material. I'd appreciate it if you'd read my posts before replying in future. I don't appreciate being made to look like I'm doing something which I am not.

Read my post again, and you'll see I never said any such thing about you. The warning was for anyone replying, and that they should not offer ways around this, since you yourself seem to have already excluded the obvious solution of not downloading illegal files. If you have received this letter, then I assume that you have been downloading illegal files anyway, so I fail to see how I am making it look like something that it already is.
    Is there something I can do to prevent myself from receiving one of these in future (barring the obvious, don't download illegal files).

Since you specifically asked for people not to suggest you stop downloading illegally, I fail to see what other possible solution you could be looking for, other than a way to circumvent the warnings while at the same time continuing your illegal downloading. Sorry if you don't appreciate being made look like you asked this, but you did ask.

When I said "I don't appreciate being made to look like I'm doing something which I am not", I meant that I do not appreciate being made to look as if I was requesting ways to illegally download while circumventing Eircom's response letters. I am not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Best solution change your isp from eircom.at least your internet won't be monitored by them.

• Advertisement

I thought the same thing, but I'm in Newcastlewest in Limerick, and all I can find is Ice Broadband. I've heard they're horrible, too.

Advertisement