Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Build - opinions?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If it's just blueray backup, go for green drives as you won't really need highspeed access every day.

1000 items... maybe you should consider some kind of feeding device. I can only imagine the time it would take to get through that lot.

For the RAM, what about two of these?
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44314

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Well its a long-long-term project but I can see myself looking for a feeding device at some stage.

That ram looks good and knocks E20 off the price.

On the HD front, what would you think of a WD Caviar Blue 250GB SATA 3 6Gb/s (€31.53) instead of the Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB Retail (€199.23) as the OS drive? Granted its not an SSD but it seems quick enough and for a price difference of about €160 thats quite a chunk of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The 500GB version of the same drive is 18c cheaper.

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39670

Going from what I remember of the 1TB reviews and assuming similar results, read speeds topped just under the 140MB/s down to about half that.
    For an OS, I'd partition the first half or third to get the best part.

Access times and read speeds won't be anywhere near as good as the SSD, but if it's not something you'll need then leave it. There'll be plenty of newer ones released soon. The person who benefits most is someone who is using a lot of different programs and doesn't like to wait for them to open.

Good spot, I'll take that one so - every cent counts :D

I think that about settles it then in which case I think I'll put the order in tomorrow. Unless anyone spots anything else before then...

Thanks to everyone who replied, looking forward to getting this now :D

Bloody typical. After all that the pc arrives today and they didnt install the Corsair H50 which was only reason I wanted them to assemble it in the first place!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

JohnK wrote: »
    Bloody typical. After all that the pc arrives today and they didnt install the Corsair H50 which was only reason I wanted them to assemble it in the first place!

Unfortunately they won't fit heavy CPU coolers as they have the potential to damage the CPU while in transit. A bit of a pain alright but on the bright side the Fractal R3 has a rear access opening for the CPU backplate so it should be very easy to fit without having to take everything apart.

Yeah I suppose so but I just never feel comfortable fitting those - I'm always convinced I'll crush the cpu or something like that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Well I have the pc now so a bit late :D

Advertisement