Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Ireland Run Fat Bastard Emergency!!

Options
  • 21-03-2011 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Thought that would get your attention!!!

OK, I'm a very casual gym jogger. 45 years old, 182cm tall & 200KG. Did the 8km Phoenix Park run in 52 mins last Sept(ish) & it nearly killed me.

In January I signed up for the 10km GIR on April 10th and my training was going ok until 3 weeks ago at which point I was able to do 50 mins on the treadmill at 9.5km/per hour but only 30 mins or 4.5km out on the road in 30 mins. I got a bad dose of bronchitis 2 weeks ago and last Friday I flew to the US on business where despite bringing my training gear I haven't done any training and the reality is I won't until I get home this Sunday. That gives me 14 days to get back on track, lose some weight and get enough training under my belt to get around the 10KM on April 10th. I REALLY REALLY don't want to stop start to get across the line. I want to start and finish without any walking.

I'm looking for tips on losing a few kilos from Sunday and getting enough training in place in 14 days to get round or am I better off just accepting I haven't been able to get the miles (kilometers) on the clock and give up?

Ben

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

BenEadir wrote: »

OK, I'm a very casual gym jogger. 45 years old, 182cm tall & 200KG. Did the 8km Phoenix Park run in 52 mins last Sept(ish) & it nearly killed me.

In January I signed up for the 10km GIR on April 10th and my training was going ok until 3 weeks ago at which point I was able to do 50 mins on the treadmill at 9.5km/per hour but only 30 mins or 4.5km out on the road in 30 mins. I got a bad dose of bronchitis 2 weeks ago and last Friday I flew to the US on business where despite bringing my training gear I haven't done any training and the reality is I won't until I get home this Sunday. That gives me 14 days to get back on track, lose some weight and get enough training under my belt to get around the 10KM on April 10th. I REALLY REALLY don't want to stop start to get across the line. I want to start and finish without any walking.

I'm looking for tips on losing a few kilos from Sunday and getting enough training in place in 14 days to get round or am I better off just accepting I haven't been able to get the miles (kilometers) on the clock and give up?

Ben

Any reason in particular why you can't get anything done till you get home? Not even 10 or 15 minutes?

No magic way to lose weight, just cut out the junk food and lash in as much fresh food as you can. You can start that part now, you don't need to wait until Sunday. I know it's difficult to eat healthy when you're travelling, but it is doable. Got to a deli for a sandwich/wrap and tell them what you want on it. Go to a supermarket and get some fruit/a fruit salad and some good quality yoghurt or something that you can bring on planes/trains/buses with you.

No reason why you should give up on getting around the course. Get out on the road as much as you can and forget the treadmill until after the race. Any time out on the road running now, before you get back to Ireland is a bonus. Even 5 - 10 minutes will fill you with confidence for when you get back, it might seem pointless but it will help.

Don't push yourself too much when you come back, you don't need to have 10km run by the time you take on the race. The race day adrenaline will help you over the line. On the day, if you want to get to the finish line without walking, take your time. Go out slowly and let your body dictate your pace until you settle in. It's easy to go out fast and blow up, if you go out slow you have to option to speed up. This race doesn't have a very good reputation from the average PB chaser but it is a great, fun event, enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Forget about losing weight in two weeks. Aiming to lose weight in that kind of aggressive time-frame will more than likely be counter-productive. You haven't run for three weeks, but you have approximately three weeks left to prepare. Switch to a healthy lifestyle for the next three weeks. Lots of water, good diet, plenty of sleep. Build up gradually to 45-50 mins training (per session) over the next two weeks (I presume you can run this week in the US). Rest up for the last 2-3 days before the race. Run slower than your normal pace. Be positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

you won't get better advice than that (from RQ & KC)
    I REALLY REALLY don't want to stop start to get across the line. I want to start and finish without any walking.
    Ben

or are you hoping we'll encourage you to give up?

if you are serious about completing the 10K you will, (by taking above advice).
    who cares if it's a run/walk?

then get your FB self out of the gym, and down to your local running club/Fit4Life group whatever. Yes, they want you.

and i guarantee you that you will spend the next 6 months getting fitter, having fun, meeting new people, and learning than running is FUN.

In 2012, you will look back at this post and laugh, when you're planning your pacing stategy for a 50 minute 10K.

I hope this doesn't appear as being a little harsh:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Good on ye lad's and lassies. Just the positive pep talk I needed.

I'll try and squeeze in a couple of short runs between now and Saturday and when I get back I'll be a model healthy living citizen, for a FB that is!!

Here's the plan:-

Monday the 28th - get out on the road and blow off the cobwebs. If I can get 25 mins in it will be a good platform to build from.

Tuesday the 29th - 30 mins on the cross trainer in the gym

Wednesday the 30th - 30 mins on the road.

Friday April 1st - 35 mins on the road.

Saturday the 2nd - 30 mins on the cross trainer and 10 mins on the rowing machine followed by a long jacuzzi and sauna.

Sunday the 3rd - push as hard as I can to do 45 mins on the road.

Monday the 4th - 30 mins cross train + jacuzzi.

Tuesday the 5th - 35 mins on the road.

Wednesday the 6th - 30 mins cross train + 10 mins on the rower + jacuzzi.

Thursday the 7th - push as hard as I can to do 50 mins on the road.

Saturday the 9th - 15 easy mins on the cross trainer followed by a long jacuzzi and sauna.

Sunday the 10th - training gets me to 50 minutes and 8km, race day andrenalin and pure stubborness will get me the rest of the way to 10k in 65 mins - I hope!!

Plenty of natural healthy food and sleep in the run up to the run itself.

Well, at least it's a plan!!!!

Cheers again.

Ben

Ben , if your running is half as good as your planning, it'll be a doddle for you;).

See you down the local club when you get back!

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?page_id=5996

Enjoy the training, and keep us posted on progress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Ben

Hi,

I'm the same height as you and i'm wondering did you mean 200KG or should that have been 200 pounds ????

I started from 0 last yr and 18 stone. I got up to half marathon and in 2 weeks i'll be doing my 1st triathlon.

I've lost 2 stone along the way and have had 8 chest infections in the last 15 months so i'ver had stops and starts along the way ( with injuries as well )

But keep plugging away and if this 10KM doesn't happen there will be another one next week or the week after !

Great story, well done.
    We need more of this here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Good on ye lad's and lassies. Just the positive pep talk I needed.
    Here's the plan:-

Monday the 28th - get out on the road . If I can get 25 mins in
    Tuesday the 29th - 30 mins on the cross trainer in the gym

Wednesday the 30th - 30 mins on the road.

Friday April 1st - 35 mins on the road.

Saturday the 2nd - 30 mins on the cross trainer and 10 mins on the rowing machine followed by a long jacuzzi and sauna.

Sunday the 3rd - push as hard as I can to do 45 mins on the road.

Monday the 4th - 30 mins cross train + jacuzzi.

Tuesday the 5th - 35 mins on the road.

Wednesday the 6th - 30 mins cross train + 10 mins on the rower + jacuzzi.

Thursday the 7th - push as hard as I can to do 50 mins on the road.

Saturday the 9th - 15 easy mins on the cross trainer followed by a long jacuzzi and sauna.

Sunday the 10th - training gets me to 50 minutes and 8km, race day andrenalin and pure stubborness will get me the rest of the way to 10k in 65 mins - I hope!!

Plenty of natural healthy food and sleep in the run up to the run itself.

Well, at least it's a plan!!!!

Cheers again.

Ben

So Running wise week one :
    Monday Wednesday Friday runs with your long Sunday run done very fast? OOdles of cross training on every single other day.

I would do your runs at easy pace , especially your longer weekend 45 minute one. IF you want to do some faster runs , do it on one of your shorter weekday ones. I would be inclined NOT to bother with almost 2 hours of cross training, when you could be doing some gentle running or run/walking. IF your legs feel tired do a smaller amount of cross training and let them rest . Go easy on the sauna and jacuzzi before your long run. Be careful not to dehydrate youself the night before you extend yourself.

Week 2. I dont think your cross training will help your fitness much at this point. Your 50 minute run is too close to your race( ideally leave 4 days beween two long runs, and dont run it fast.
    REST the day before your race. Do some gentle stretching if you like but dont go mad in the gym.

Enjoy your race. Take it handy and start off slower than you think you can manage. Start well rested . If you chat to some people around you in the start area you may meet someone in the same boat and you can hang together.
    Then make sure you come back and tell us all how well you got on and how well you managed.:D
    GOod luck

a long jacuzzi

Don't let H2T take away your one small indulgence:)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Absolutely not!:eek:
    I think you should skip the sauna altogether and just stay in the jacuzzi all day . You can rehydrate and even eat while you are there.:D

• Advertisement

Hi,

I'm the same height as you and i'm wondering did you mean 200KG or should that have been 200 pounds ????

I started from 0 last yr and 18 stone. I got up to half marathon and in 2 weeks i'll be doing my 1st triathlon.

I've lost 2 stone along the way and have had 8 chest infections in the last 15 months so i'ver had stops and starts along the way ( with injuries as well )

But keep plugging away and if this 10KM doesn't happen there will be another one next week or the week after !

Hi Elvis Jones, yes 200lbs not KG's. I don't mind a challenge but that would be taking the Pi$$!!

Hot to trot - thanks for the advice. I'll defenitely move the 50 min run forward to Wed, rest Thurs and just do 15 mins cross train (+ Jacuzzi of course!) on the Friday before resting Sat and hitting the Phoenix park on the Sunday for the 10k.

I'll also drop the sauna but I do find the jacuzzi helps the leg muscles to warm down and I also drink 500ml water whilst sitting in the jacuzzi which I probably wouldn't do if I jumped straight in the shower.

RacoonQueen, thanks again for your pep talk. I got a 40 min run in on the hotel treadmill on Wed and 30 mins on the cross trainer today. I'm flying home shortly so will be in better shape than I expected when I wrote the original thread. It's been a good week in the end :D BTW I never get out and run around cities I'm travelling to. The potential downsides (getting lost, having an accident or getting mugged) far outweigh the potential upside of discovering/seeing new areas and getting road KM's into the legs rather than treadmill KM's.

I'll knuckle down for the next 14 days, particularly diet wise, and I'll defenitely report back on how I get on in the run.

Cheers all.

Ben

I'm 230 pounds so you'll have no problem at all if i can do it and i started at 260 pounds. Remember as you loose fat you'll replace it with muscle which is heavier so you'll get rid of inches before it shows on the scales.

I would try swimming or cycling as well as it will get you the exercise without putting stress on the joints. The cross trainer is a great help as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

BenEadir,

Perhaps it would be helpful for you if one of the Mods moved this to 'Training Logs' where you could record your progression....It can be helpful motivation!

digger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Krusty Clwon is absolutely right - forget about trying to lose weight. And remember the adrenaline that comes from running a race will carry you along farther than you probably realise.
    The good news weight wise is that you will continue to lose weight for several days after the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

hey ben im also running the great ireland run in the phoneix park on the 10th of april im 17 stone atm im running since oct and have lost two stone since i started running. Its my first structured run and im really looking forward to it and am really enjoying your log

deise48 wrote: »
    hey ben im also running the great ireland run in the phoneix park on the 10th of april im 17 stone atm im running since oct and have lost two stone since i started running. Its my first structured run and im really looking forward to it and am really enjoying your log

Good luck with it, what sort of time you aiming for. I started at roughly the same weight as you and am just below you now. Keep the work up !

Hi Deise,

Thanks for the compliment. The GIR will only be my 2nd ever formal run so I too am looking forward to it but somewhat nervous that I haven't put the mileage in as planned. I got 5km in around my local area at 6am this morning in 30 minutes so I'm really hoping I can push that to 7km in 45 minutes by Saturday and 8.5km in 55 minutes by next Wednesday evening.

If I can get 8.5km under my belt by Wednesday evening then rest up well, get lots of sleep and eat and hydrate well I'm hoping the adrenaline on the day (and sheer stubborness) will get me over the line in about 65 or 70 minutes.

Thanks also to you Elvis for the encouragement.

Fingers crossed we'll get to the finishing line in one piece.

Ben

Hi Deise,

Thanks for the compliment. The GIR will only be my 2nd ever formal run so I too am looking forward to it but somewhat nervous that I haven't put the mileage in as planned. I got 5km in around my local area at 6am this morning in 30 minutes so I'm really hoping I can push that to 7km in 45 minutes by Saturday and 8.5km in 55 minutes by next Wednesday evening.

If I can get 8.5km under my belt by Wednesday evening then rest up well, get lots of sleep and eat and hydrate well I'm hoping the adrenaline on the day (and sheer stubborness) will get me over the line in about 65 or 70 minutes.

Thanks also to you Elvis for the encouragement.

Fingers crossed we'll get to the finishing line in one piece.

Ben

Get in what you can but don't push it too hard as you could cause injury or fatigue as your body is still working to change with the exercise your now doing. But your right in that if you get to 8.5KM the crowd on the day will help you along. Time shouldn't be an issue for you, finishing should.

Only advice i can give is pick your pace and stay with it, don't take off too fast because others are passing you out. Pace the run and you'll finish with a smile on your face.

Remember as well that i'm 30 pounds heavier than you and the morning before your run i'll be doing a triathlon so it possible !

BAD- 30 minutes, 45 minutes 55 minutes, in about 65 or 70 minutes.

GOOD-rest up well, get lots of sleep and eat and hydrate well

DEFINITELY-we'll get to the finishing line in one piece.

Ben, i'm back to harass you again:).

can i suggest you stop focusing on time. Relax, try to enjoy the miles.

Go back and re-read RQ's & KC's advice. With 10 days to go you're just preparing for the 10K, the 'training' is over.

this time next week you'll be getting pre-race nerves:eek:

jb-ski wrote: »
    Ben, i'm back to harass you again:).

can i suggest you stop focusing on time. Relax, try to enjoy the miles.

Go back and re-read RQ's & KC's advice. With 10 days to go you're just preparing for the 10K, the 'training' is over.

this time next week you'll be getting pre-race nerves:eek:

Ah!! JB, you're being too hard on me :mad:

I'm following exactly what KC advised i.e. "Build up gradually to 45-50 mins training (per session) over the next two weeks". I feel good this evening after this mornings run and will do 20 mins on the cross trainer tomorrow morjing followed by a nice 20 min jacuzzi to ease into the day. Then rest all day tomorrow and do 35 mins Friday morning and hopefully, at a push, 45 mins Saturday afternoon.

I know it's late in the day but I know if I can get to 50-55 mins by next Wednesday evening and rest, sleep and eat well Thurs, Fri and Sat I'll be hot to trot for Sunday.

That's the plan anyway!!

Ben

• Advertisement

Good luck with it, what sort of time you aiming for. I started at roughly the same weight as you and am just below you now. Keep the work up !
    im aiming for under a hour and hoping to do a little better by getting caught in the race athmosphere

deise48 wrote: »
    im aiming for under a hour and hoping to do a little better by getting caught in the race athmosphere

Dont get too caught up and take off too fast, i've done it in the past and paid for it towards the end.

If your going to keep it up there is the dublin race series on 5m,10m and half marathon during the summer. I've signed up for them but only did the 5m last yr.

I did the 5m last year in 48 mins. That's the only other 'race' I've done. Was in better shape then though :mad:

I am however an 'old dog' so I'm quite happy letting everyone sprint off and then smile to myself as I pass them later on :p

Slow to start but a whore to finish - I wish!!

Ben

I did the 5m last year in 48 mins. That's the only other 'race' I've done. Was in better shape then though :mad:

I am however an 'old dog' so I'm quite happy letting everyone sprint off and then smile to myself as I pass them later on :p

Slow to start but a whore to finish - I wish!!

Ben

Nothing wrong with 5m in 48 min.............

I'm looking at getting a book called racing weight, it could help you in the long run as well ( excuse the pun )

JB, Deise and Elvis,

Did nothing at all yesterday (not even a jacuzzi!) and got to bed early in order to rest up for a good run this morning. Hit the road at 6:30 and (thanks to RunKeeper for Android) I can confirm I did 6.75km in 42 minutes which I'm well chuffed with and I wasn't totally wasted, probably about 95% though!!

Really felt good and I'm sure I can do 7.5km tomorrow evening, then 6.5km Monday morning and the big one, 8.5km Wednesday evening in about 55 mins which should put me in good shape for 10km in 65 - 70 mins next Sunday especially if I rest up and eat, drink and sleep properly Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

What will you boyz be eating and drinking in the days before the race? Lot's of protein, fruit and water? What will you eat the morning of the race? I was thinking about a bowl of porridge with a banana in, two poached eggs on brown toast and a fruit smmothie before I hit the road into town then a banana 30 mins before the race is due to start + a few sweets or some sort of sugar boost in my pocket for when I begin to flag around the 8/9km mark during the race.

Sound like a plan? You know I love it when plans come together :D

BTW, my young lad (10) is doing the junior 2.5km run but he hasn't received a race pack yet. I received mine last week. I sent in his application form and cheque a month ago but haven't heard a dickie bird. I emailed the organisers this morning but there isn't a phone number on the website so do any of you know if Juniors even get a race pack or do they just turn up on the day?

Cheers,

Ben

JB, Deise and Elvis,

Did nothing at all yesterday (not even a jacuzzi!) and got to bed early in order to rest up for a good run this morning. Hit the road at 6:30 and (thanks to RunKeeper for Android) I can confirm I did 6.75km in 42 minutes which I'm well chuffed with and I wasn't totally wasted, probably about 95% though!!

Really felt good and I'm sure I can do 7.5km tomorrow evening, then 6.5km Monday morning and the big one, 8.5km Wednesday evening in about 55 mins which should put me in good shape for 10km in 65 - 70 mins next Sunday especially if I rest up and eat, drink and sleep properly Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

What will you boyz be eating and drinking in the days before the race? Lot's of protein, fruit and water? What will you eat the morning of the race? I was thinking about a bowl of porridge with a banana in, two poached eggs on brown toast and a fruit smmothie before I hit the road into town then a banana 30 mins before the race is due to start + a few sweets or some sort of sugar boost in my pocket for when I begin to flag around the 8/9km mark during the race.

Sound like a plan? You know I love it when plans come together :D

BTW, my young lad (10) is doing the junior 2.5km run but he hasn't received a race pack yet. I received mine last week. I sent in his application form and cheque a month ago but haven't heard a dickie bird. I emailed the organisers this morning but there isn't a phone number on the website so do any of you know if Juniors even get a race pack or do they just turn up on the day?

Cheers,

Ben

Well done Ben,

I wouldn't do that much next week. I'd skip at least one of those sessions and let the body recover as all this fairly new to it.

I drink orange or blackcurrant cordial most days at work as i can get bored of just water very quickly. For races i have lucozade sport powder i mix with water or just the shop bought stuff.

Personally i don't think you can do better than porridge, i have it most mornings and add a few sultanas or nuts to it to add flavour.

You don't need sweets etc for 10Km as you won't be out long enough for your body to use up the energy contained in the muscles. Anything over 2 hrs is when the fun begins !

As for myself i swam 1150M last night and i'll do about 8KM today, i'm up to training 5 days in a row now and soon it will be 6 and i couldn't have imagined that a while ago !

I'm also off to look for race weight now on my break and going to really have a good look at my diet after my 1st tri and focus on getting about 2 stone off.

It the moment i'm racing against people as fit as me but i'm carry so much extra weight that i can't compete. I'd love to see what it would be like if they had to run a race beside me carrying a 4 stone bag of spuds:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

J
    What will you boyz be eating and drinking in the days before the race? Lot's of protein, fruit and water? What will you eat the morning of the race?

What do you normally eat before a run? Eat that.

Just back from doing 7KM in 39:40, happy enough with that. My plan is to build to doing 10KM at lunchh twice a week with a long run at the weekend.

I have my swimming and cycling as well so running 3 times will be enough until june and i decide if i'm going to do DCM or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

Ben, what colour wave are you?

Gerry

• Advertisement

this is my first proper ten k run so i havent done any structured traininhg as such i have ran ten k twice and was comfortable enough doing it but unfortunately i hurt my foot slightly playing five a side soccer on wed night so all exercise is on hold until monday .

Advertisement