Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Ireland Run Fat Bastard Emergency!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

BenEadir wrote: »
    JB, Deise and Elvis,

Did nothing at all yesterday (not even a jacuzzi!) and got to bed early in order to rest up for a good run this morning. Hit the road at 6:30 and (thanks to RunKeeper for Android) I can confirm I did 6.75km in 42 minutes which I'm well chuffed with and I wasn't totally wasted, probably about 95% though!!

Really felt good and I'm sure I can do 7.5km tomorrow evening, then 6.5km Monday morning and the big one, 8.5km Wednesday evening in about 55 mins which should put me in good shape for 10km in 65 - 70 mins next Sunday especially if I rest up and eat, drink and sleep properly Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

What will you boyz be eating and drinking in the days before the race? Lot's of protein, fruit and water? What will you eat the morning of the race? I was thinking about a bowl of porridge with a banana in, two poached eggs on brown toast and a fruit smmothie before I hit the road into town then a banana 30 mins before the race is due to start + a few sweets or some sort of sugar boost in my pocket for when I begin to flag around the 8/9km mark during the race.

Sound like a plan? You know I love it when plans come together :D

BTW, my young lad (10) is doing the junior 2.5km run but he hasn't received a race pack yet. I received mine last week. I sent in his application form and cheque a month ago but haven't heard a dickie bird. I emailed the organisers this morning but there isn't a phone number on the website so do any of you know if Juniors even get a race pack or do they just turn up on the day?

Cheers,

Ben

Hey Ben,

I'd be inclined to agree with Elvis on this one.
    Maybe do the 8.5k tomorrow eve at easy pace, and then max 7.5 Wednesday.

Otherwise eat a pretty normal breakfast on Sunday morn.
    (remember there are portacabin loo's but you won't plan to be spending much time in them, so maybe skip the smoothie:))

You won't need anything during race other than water.
    & you won't be flagging at 9 miles because you will pace yourself sensibly from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Perhaps we should have this moved to training logs and keep an eye on how all the chubbys are doing over the coming months:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Ben, what colour wave are you?

Gerry

Gerry,

By Badge (if that's what you call the A4 size poster we have to wear!) has a green background. What, if anything, does that mean?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

BenEadir wrote: »
    By Badge (if that's what you call the A4 size poster we have to wear!) has a green background. What, if anything, does that mean?

The runners are grouped into four pens by colour - orange, green, pink, and ?? (blue?). The pens are based on your predicted finish time. When you get to the race, you should join in the green pen. (This is explained in the information booklet in your envelope. )

Well, the best laid plans and all that.

Decided to follow Elvis and JB's advice and instead of doing 3 runs between today and Wednesday culminating in an 8.5km run Wednesday evening I said I'd try and do an 8km run today as the most I've done so far is 6.75km yesterday morning.

I put a great playlist together on the droid (PowerAmp is a great music player) starting with Freebird (nice slow start) then lots of Quo, AC/DC, ZZ Top etc to get me flowing and allow the music to blast away the pain when I began to tire and fired up RunKeeper to keep track of progress.

It announced that I did the first KM in 6:20 which I thought was a bit quick as I was trying hard to follow JB's "Easy pace" advice but I felt good and was in a nice rhythm so kept going. 2nd KM came up on exactly 12 mins so I'd actually picked up the pace quite a bit. I kept going and each further KM came up at a consistent 5:55. Bearing in mind I did that 5m last Sept in 48 mins and it nearly killed me and I haven't done as much training for this as I'd like (per my original FAT BASTARD emergency post!!) I figured I might get to 7km before collapsing.

The 5:55km's kept clocking up and long story short I trotted home for a total of 9.13km in 53:23 at an average 5:51 per Km WHICH I'M DELIGHTED WITH :D

Can't believe I got this run under my belt today and feel so good after it. I've been eating well, sleeping well and drinking no alcohol since the first post two weeks ago and the encouragement and advice you've given me has been a huge help. Thanks lads.

I'll only do a 20min corss train and jacuzzi Monday morning followed by a 7.5km run Wednesay evening then rest up for the race next Sunday.

It's great to be back on track.

Thanks again lads.

Ben

• Advertisement

Brilliant! Brilliant Brilliant!

Well done, Ben.

That's a fantastic confidence booster for you; so stick to the plan for week & you'll be in great form on Sunday morning (a bit of nervous tension is no harm:)).

enjoy the next few days.

Well done Ben,

I'm looking forward to seeing your final time on Sunday evening............but that time i'll be a triathlete........fingers crossed:o

Good on ya Elvis. The 10k on Sunday will be a walk in the park for a tri athlete like yourself!!!

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Perhaps we should have this moved to training logs and keep an eye on how all the chubbys are doing over the coming months:D

Agreed, moved to logs.

Ben,

the pressure is on now, you've been moved to the training logs:eek:

What's next after Sunday??????

• Advertisement

jb-ski wrote: »
    Ben,

the pressure is on now, you've been moved to the training logs:eek:

What's next after Sunday??????

Where's the thread delete button???????

Did 6km this evening in 33 mins which is a bit too quick. I wouldn't last 10km on Sunday at that pace. Meant to do 7.5km this evening but had a late lunch and felt heavy all the way round. Need to slow it down a bit. Might introduce a bit of Neil Young into the 10K play list :cool:

You're a DJ Elvis, what music do you listen to on your runs?? It can't be 100% Elvis can it? What do you think of my playlist which starts with Freebird, then a few Status Quo tracks, then some AC/DC and a mixture of other heavy metal favourites including Guns N Roses Paradise City, Bon Jovi's Bad Medicine etc. Basically an hour of move your ass upbeat old school rock/heavy metal.

Ben

I mix the music up with a slow start for warm ups.

Massive attack, Ian Brown, Florance and the machine........stuff like that, but it also has to have a motivation factor.

That i go high tempo with different genre, i keep it to a max of about 5 songs to any one genre at a time to keep the mind active as i song can just blend into another.

I start with dance at about 130 BPM upwards and then modern rock like coldplay, killers, kings of leon etc.

Then i change it again to some dance and then back to older stuff with good motivation to get me the end of a work out like Springsteen, Zeplinn, Bowie etc.

I have a lot of playlists on my small ipod but a lot of the time i don't bother with the ipod as a lot of races don't allow them and you need to be able to function without them.

Also some playlist can be very long as a training session for a half marathons can run 2 hrs or more.

A lot of running is in your head, i did 3.5 miles yesterday at lunch. When i started i almost stopped a few times as my head wasn't in the right place. By the end i didn't want to stop and could have done 6 or 7 miles with ease.

Also meant to say i got the book racing weight and it goes into a lot of detials about types of food, diet, timing of eating etc.

I can't really focus on it this week with the race but i'm going to jump straight in next week and fingers crossed by June i can be a lot fitter and have lost some mass.

As of Tuesday morning i weight 237 Pounds............i will weigh in again on 20th. I'm going to do it every 2 weeks. I have a habit of jumping on the scales every day and that is something i really i have to get away from.

Elvis, JB et al,

Thanks for all the support.

I got to the finishing line in 67 minutes today. The heat, the hills, negotiating the walkers, the one hour delay and lack of training (particularly the lack of training!) really put it up to me but I got through it in one piece.

I was a bit pissed off with the delayed start. My race number said I'd be off at 13:05 but it was 13:50 before I got going. My son did the junior race at 11:15 so I was there hanging around for 3 hours before starting my own race.

I enjoyed the actual run (apart from the hills) and will do it again next year with more concentrated/appropriate training.

Cheers again lads.

Ben

Well done !!!!!

You'll have those time problems with the larger events, thats why i would avoid them.

So you going to keep up the work.

Come and join us here and others are more than welcome

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056231574

oh and i'm a triathlete:D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

I mix the music up with a slow start for warm ups.

Massive attack, Ian Brown, Florance and the machine........stuff like that, but it also has to have a motivation factor.

That i go high tempo with different genre, i keep it to a max of about 5 songs to any one genre at a time to keep the mind active as i song can just blend into another.

I start with dance at about 130 BPM upwards and then modern rock like coldplay, killers, kings of leon etc.

Then i change it again to some dance and then back to older stuff with good motivation to get me the end of a work out like Springsteen, Zeplinn, Bowie etc.

I have a lot of playlists on my small ipod but a lot of the time i don't bother with the ipod as a lot of races don't allow them and you need to be able to function without them.

Also some playlist can be very long as a training session for a half marathons can run 2 hrs or more.

A lot of running is in your head, i did 3.5 miles yesterday at lunch. When i started i almost stopped a few times as my head wasn't in the right place. By the end i didn't want to stop and could have done 6 or 7 miles with ease.
    Elvis, just wondering why do race organisers ban earphones/ipods? I've done about 6 races in last 18mths and haven't come across this.

Elvis, just wondering why do race organisers ban earphones/ipods? I've done about 6 races in last 18mths and haven't come across this.

They will say health and safety.

Here are 2 examples.

1.Your in the run wearing your headphones and moving along, you step to your left to get past someone but don't see someone else coming up behind you. You clash with them and put them out of the race because you couldn't hear them coming.

2. There is an accident further on the race and an ambulance needs to get through, your there running the middle of the road and can't hear them coming and slow them from getting to the incident.

But my answer is what do you do if someone is deaf or hard of hearing ???

I will say that you really feel your run if you have no headphones and you can hear your breathing, your foot strike and the world around you. It can be great coming towards the end of a race with the crowds etc.

Advertisement