Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sure why not?

Options
  • 21-03-2011 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Starting a log because it seems like a good way of not only keeping track of my "progress" but of keeping myself motivated too!

Did the race yesterday and needless to say my legs feel like lead today! Ran in just over 34 minutes so I'm fairly happy with that considering I was still slightly hungover after some very ill-advised pints on Friday night! (the sun didn't help the situation either!)

Finishing the c25k this week and going to do another 5k soon. Hoping to be able to take part in the Half Marathon in September

I suppose my goals for the near future are:

5k: under 30 minutes
    8k: under 48 minutes
    half marathon: Complete one!

Last Races:
    St. Patricks Day 5k - March 20th 2011 - 34min 34sec (pb)

Next Races:
    Join Spar & Ray for 5k, Dublin - April 8th 2011 (Route depending)
    Docklands Fun Run 8k - May 19th 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Good luck.

Keep it up and you can definitely make your goals.

If 5k is the furthest as you have run, start doing longer runs once a week, at a slower speed. This will give you more strength in the legs and your 5k time will improve.

If you are stiff today and tomorrow, do lots of walking,dont sit down, it will make it worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Welcome to the logs and well done on the c25k and the race. Good luck with your goals. Try Hal Higdons plans for the next step up in training.

http://www.halhigdon.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Sunday - 5km - 34m 34sec (race)
    Wednesday - 5km - 36m 11sec
    Friday - 4.5km - 30m 15sec

Took a couple of days off after the race on Sunday but I was still quite tired doing my run on Wednesday but was quite happy with my time since the route is a lot hillier than the race route. I worked out a guide using Hal Higdons guides which should get me through until the Docklands 8k in May so hopefully I can keep to that:D

The first run of that schedule was today and my god was it hell even though it was just 4.5km. I just got so tired during it but still had a decent time. I think I'm just starting to try and run a bit too fast for my level and that's why I find myself having to stop and walk at certain points (3 times during this run, but only for 30second - 1 minute at a time).

Back to 5km on Monday so hopefully I'll be good after two days without running. Might go for a cycle tomorrow depending on how I feel. Still waiting for the route to be posted for the Spar 5k on April 8th?

Going to start doing some stregth/cross training two days a week in between running days to push me on a bit more. I refuse to join a gym though so it will be cycling and push ups!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

leggit wrote: »

Going to start doing some stregth/cross training two days a week in between running days to push me on a bit more. I refuse to join a gym though so it will be cycling and push ups!!!

Sounds to me like you're working fairly hard as it is. Rather than lashing into lots of other training too, you might consider running longer and slower, building up the endurance, and RESTING between training sessions.

Enthusiasm is great, and gets you out there over the protests of your body, but it's not hard to injure yourself....a slow and steady progression is the consensus for working up your fitness, speed and distance.

Take her handy!

brownian wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you're working fairly hard as it is. Rather than lashing into lots of other training too, you might consider running longer and slower, building up the endurance, and RESTING between training sessions.

Enthusiasm is great, and gets you out there over the protests of your body, but it's not hard to injure yourself....a slow and steady progression is the consensus for working up your fitness, speed and distance.

Take her handy!

I know what you mean, I wasn't going to start it until after the 5k in April because it's a part of the Hal Higdon 8k program that he suggests doing strength and cross training with your running so I was just going along with that really

I'm only a young lad so I'd say I'll be able to incorporate it into my schedule. In terms of strength it would be mostly upper body and core workouts so I'd be very conscious of giving my legs a rest on those days.

I used to be ultra fit a couple of years ago playing for 3 matches a week with training and never ever getting injured (except for the odd broken finger!). I guess I have to remind myself that I'm not that fit/young anymore though and I'm starting from scratch so I have to have limits :D

• Advertisement

unbelievably annoyed at the moment!

Went for 5km run on Monday and ran it in 34m 57sec which is pretty good for me.

I use an inhalor but I'm pretty much fine most of the time. 2 weeks ago I went for a run and had to stop after 1 mile because my lungs shut down and I couldn't catch my breath back and had to walk home :mad:. So I went for 3.5km run today (2 days after running 5km) and had to stop after less than 1km because the same thing happened today!!!

And now I'll have to go to the doctor and give him €50+ for him to tell me something I already know just so I can get a prescription for an inhalor. It's such a pain to realise that no matter how fit I get, this can stop me in my tracks at any time!

Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

leggit wrote: »
    unbelievably annoyed at the moment!

Went for 5km run on Monday and ran it in 34m 57sec which is pretty good for me.

I use an inhalor but I'm pretty much fine most of the time. 2 weeks ago I went for a run and had to stop after 1 mile because my lungs shut down and I couldn't catch my breath back and had to walk home :mad:. So I went for 3.5km run today (2 days after running 5km) and had to stop after less than 1km because the same thing happened today!!!

And now I'll have to go to the doctor and give him €50+ for him to tell me something I already know just so I can get a prescription for an inhalor. It's such a pain to realise that no matter how fit I get, this can stop me in my tracks at any time!

Rant over!

You'll be right. Lots of really good runners (I don't include myself here) use inhalers on a daily basis, and take a few toots of the blue lad on days where serious exertion is planned. It's tedious, but it won't stop you in your tracks when you're having a run, once you're organised about it.

Tuesday - 5km - 34m 54sec
    Thursday - supposed to be 3.5km - Lungs blew up after 5 minutes (See previous post!)
    Tuesday - 5km - 35m 41sec

Motivation took a knock last week when after running fine on Tuesday my lungs just gave up on me after 5 minutes 2 days later but I've already ranted about that so onto what I've done since.

Still haven't gotten my inhalor yet but went for a run tonight and got through it fine. I managed to slow down my pace and keep it fairly constant so as to not kill myself this time! Ran for 32 minutes straight and then walked the last bit, wasn't even out of breath, just started to get a pain in my left shin (Had this before but it's not overly painful and it seems to go away on it's own?).

I was going to do a short 2 mile run tomorrow cos I don't want to take a 2 day break before the Spar 5k thing on Friday. Is this a good idea or not?

Motivation is back again after tonights run! Onwards and Upwards!

Wednesday - 3.5km - 25m 30sec
    Thursday - Played football match!

Was meant to do the Spar 5k thing in Dublin on Friday but there was no late registration on the day apparently! But then I hear that people were registering for it on the day. Quite annoying!

I knew I'd do nothing at the start of the week because my reward for doing to race was meant to be a stag weekend! Was dying until Wednesday so went for a short run, was still feeling the effects of the weekend so was a little bit slower than I wanted it to be :(

Played for 60 minutes of a 90 minutes football match yesterday evening. Hadn't played football in ages but it was a good workout and my legs are really feeling it today! Would it be O.K. to relace my 2 mile run every week with a football match instead? (HAl Higdon 8k program)

Advertisement