Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miscarriage at 22 weeks

Options
  • 21-03-2011 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I am new to this site. I recently suffered a miscarriage after 22 weeks. I am devastated as my baby meant everything to me. However I have accepted it and I really want to try again for a baby. Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation anf if so how long did you wait? I am afraid of trying again and the same thing happening but I really want a family. There is talk about putting in the cerclage stitch after first trimester. Did anyone get this done? How sore is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I posted a reply in the reproduction chat thread. Hope it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

I lost my son at just over 22 wks due to placenta abruption. We had been trying years for a baby. We were eager to try again straight away (my husband more than me). We waited for about a month and then started trying again. They say that you are most fertile for the first six months after.

We got pregnant again after the fourth cycle. I found that I wanted to do everything to help this baby. I'm now 28 wks pregnant. Having problems with this pregnancy (some the same as the last pregnancy). I'm being closely monitored by the hospital (weekly antenatal checks now). At least if something goes wrong now, or if the baby comes early that there is a good chance of survival.

I have not had the stitch as they think my problems (among other things) has to do with placenta failure. One of my sisters lost two babies (one at 19 and the other at 20 wks). She got the cerclage stitch and had to spend most of the time resting. The rest of her pregnancies were all sucessful thanks to the stitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lizzie02v

Thank you for your reply. Its such a horrible tragedy that you dont want to hear that other people experience the loss so far on too. But at the same time it is reassuring know you are not on your own. I really dont know why yet that i lost my beautiful baby. Everything was perfect. He was strong. I was healthy. Suddenly I went into labour and my dreams ended. I am so scared of it happening again but really want a baby. Thank you for sharing your story. Can I ask what symptoms did you have to suggest that is was placenta. I was researching placenta previa(i think its called) wondering could that be the cause. The midwives felt it was cervix not strong enough to carry baby full term..Just want answers now.

When I went into labour there was blood everywhere and loads of large clots. I had had an few episodes of bleeding about a month before. I don't even remember my waters breaking as there was just loads of blood.

They examined the placenta afterwards and it was mishappen and they said that after I delivered the placenta there was loads more clots behind it.

The baby was perfect. No deformities or anything. I did have a liver problem (related to pregnancy) and developed jaundice (which I found out afterwards). My consultant doesn't think though that the placenta abruption was related to the liver condition.

When I spoke with my sister she said that when she lost her babies she had no pain, that the waters suddenly broke and the baby came straight out. She said there was no blood. On the first one they had no idea why she lost it. On the second one she got to the hospital on time and they realised it was a weak cervix.

I can understand you wanting answers. It is very hard to accept that the hospital don't know what went wrong and they can't tell whether it will happen again. When I went for my first antenatal visit on this pregnancy the consultant made a plan to manage the whole pregnancy. At times it feels like they are just monitoring everything and watching to see what happens.

Best of luck with everything. Fingers crossed that things work out for us both.

I lost a lot of blood during labour. They never mentioned anything about placenta at the time though. We are going back for results in another month. I wonder could it be problem with placenta? I hope I can have strength to go forward and try again. The thoughts of losing another precious one would destroy you. How can definitely determine short cervix. Would they measure it? Or do they just rule everything else out. Its all so unknown. Going through questioning stage. Can an internal examination bring on labour and if so how quickly would you dialate from it.

• Advertisement

The best thing to do is bring a list of questions with you. I purchased a medical textbook on obstetrics so that at least I would feel a little more informed about things.

I am getting loads of monitoring on this pregnancy. My bloods were being taken twice weekly and once problems surfaced they began to be taken weekly. I was getting weekly growth scans from 24 weeks and now that baby seems to have slowed down in growing I was told that they will now have to monitor that once a week as well.

They don't know why the things happened the last time, but this time they are watching everything in the hope that things might be picked up early. If I lost this baby I don't whether I could go again as this pregnancy has been so stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I am so sorry Lizzie & Skadi for your losses.
    Lizzie, I think Skadi's advice about writing a list of questions is excellent.
    It might be a bit overwhelming when you meet the doctor to discuss it, so a list will make it easier.

The advice given to me was to wait a month for every month of pregnancy completed; that said the advice given seems to vary a bit between different hospital.

Take care of yourself x

Thank you. It is so hard everyday. I cant believe I lost someone so precious. I feel empty and broken. I just wish i still had my little baby. It is so horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Big hugs Lizzie. There's little additional advise I can give, and I can only imagine the pain of losing your baby so late. I've lost two early, but I think if I was over the 12 week wait and lost it would be so, so much worse.
    Just wanted to wish you best really.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Days

Girls I am so sorry for your losses, I can't imagine how much you must have loved those babies after 22 week.

Just want to let me know how proud you should be of yourselves for keeping going. You will get there and have a baby you have to remember that!!

• Advertisement

Just wanted to update this to say that I had my baby. She was born at the end of March at 28 wks. We have really been so lucky as so many things could have gone wrong. It looks like placenta abruption again so hoping that the next time I see my consultant that she can give me answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Congratulations Skadi, delighted to hear the good news! I hope you both are keeping well. :)

Congratulations Skadi, that is fantastic news!!!!! gives the rest of us hope here too :) I hope you and your daughter are keeping well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 julyfi

hi girls,, i'm new to this and hope ye don't mind me joining in.

just wondering if someone could give me some help/support with my situation.
    i had a mc only last month at 6w5d.. my baby wasn't planned but i was very upset when i lost my baby and i know now that i am ready for parenthood. so the nurse told me after i had mc that i should wait til after one cycle to ttc again,, thing is i haven't been careful and the last few days have been having little tell tale signs that i could be pregnant again (tender boobs and no sign yet of my period).. i would rather that i did get my period first jus bc if i missed again i know i would totally blame myself this time for it happening so soon. if any of u guys have had a similar experience i would like to hear the out come, i know every pregnancy is different but i suppose all i am looking for is a bit of reassurrance..

as i said, very early days so i guess i'll give it another wk or two before i take a test..

thanks for reading xxx

julyfi wrote: »

i had a mc only last month at 6w5d.. my baby wasn't planned but i was very upset when i lost my baby and i know now that i am ready for parenthood. so the nurse told me after i had mc that i should wait til after one cycle to ttc again,, thing is i haven't been careful and the last few days have been having little tell tale signs that i could be pregnant again (tender boobs and no sign yet of my period).. i would rather that i did get my period first jus bc if i missed again i know i would totally blame myself this time for it happening so soon. if any of u guys have had a similar experience i would like to hear the out come, i know every pregnancy is different but i suppose all i am looking for is a bit of reassurrance..

as i said, very early days so i guess i'll give it another wk or two before i take a test..

thanks for reading xxx

Welcome on board & I'm so sorry for your loss x
    hun, if you have a loss it is not due to anything you have done so please don't be worried.

It seems to be very common for women to have a successful full term pregnancy after a loss (I'm hoping that's the case for me anyhoo).

I hope it is a positive as I'm starting to believe that the only way to get over a miscarriage is to go to have a baby. I hope you're ok.

Make sure to join us over in the TTC thread, its great for support when you're ttc/after loss etc.

Take care xxx

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

julyfi wrote: »

thanks for reading xxx

There's no medical reason to wait until you have your period. At all.

The only reason some people do is so they know their dates and all the previous pregnancy hormones are gone (not too many would have built up by the time you miscarried)

Please try not to worry or blame yourself

Advertisement