Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a receipt for work done

Options
  • 21-03-2011 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

I suspect I've fallen for a typical rogue trader bad practice :( but here is my question. I recently got some work done to repair a leaking shower and a damaged ceiling in the house. A local bathroom company supplied the replacement parts and recommended a tradesman to do the work. The work was done to my satisfaction but I cannot get a receipt which means I cnanot make an insurance claim. I've already paid for the work so is there any leverage I have with the tradesman to get him to provide a receipt?

thanks
    Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How did you pay? Was it in cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 markew

I paid by cheque. Also, the bathroom company provided a receipt for the parts they supplied it's just the receipt for the fitting and replastering work I'm missing but of couse that was the pricey part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Your cheque is your receipt.

Is it made out to an individual or a company?

If he wont give you a receipt report him to the Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/charging/invoicing.html#section2

If he doesnt follow this, report him to revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 markew

Thanks for the responses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

As above, Make contact, Request a receipt or say you will be on to revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

If you paid by cheque, it is unlikely he is evading tax as there is a paper trail, unless the cheque was made out to cash? What was the response when you requested a receipt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Lol at the revenue claims.
    If he was paid by cheque there is no way he's evading tax on the job unless he is the stupidest tradesman in the UK or Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

UrbanSea wrote: »
    If he was paid by cheque there is no way he's evading tax on the job unless he is the stupidest tradesman in the UK or Ireland.

He could be cashing it through someone else, or lodging it into an undisclosed account.

The OP can get the cleared cheque back from his bank, which will show were it ended up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

They are not all accountants, Its the threat, real or implied. People just dont want to hassel of having an audit by revenue. They will take the easy option and issue a reciept

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I understand that,but any person who's working in a cash related job would know that cheque=declared. Paper trails are how people get done by an audit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I understand that,but any person who's working in a cash related job would know that cheque=declared. Paper trails are how people get done by an audit.

I've been preparing accounts and dealing with taxation for many traders over many years, and I've seen the things they get up to. Undisclosed bank accounts only become evident if the trader slips up, or stashes too much away.

Years ago some guy told me that he'd bought a new car for his business. Because there was no payment for the new car, I asked how it was financed, and he told me that he withdrew money from a building society account. We had no record of a building society account, and no interest had ever been declared on any tax return. He knew that he'd dropped himself in it, and it cost him almost as much as he had stashed away.

Advertisement