Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get Final Fantasy IV (new) for the DS?

Options
  • 21-03-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get a new copy of Final Fantasy IV (ideally, completely in English incl. manual) for the DS? I've been looking around and neither GAME, GameStop nor HMV in Limerick City Centre appear to have it. I never got around to asking in HMV if it was possible to order it in, but their website doesn't even list the game so it doesn't seem likely.

Amazon.co.uk don't have any new copies for sale, GamePlay and GAME both list the game as out of stock, Play has one retailer available but the packaging/manual are in Italian.

Does anyone know if there is any other reputable online retailers (in Ireland/UK) that might have the game?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

How about the North American version? You could get it for about 20 euro incl shipping from videogamesplus.ca.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Vokes wrote: »
    How about the North American version? You could get it for about 20 euro incl shipping from videogamesplus.ca.
    Will that work on an Irish DS? Aren't DSi games region-locked, or was it 3DS games? I would've sworn I read about the games being region-locked at some stage, but I don't remember what games it applied to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Robby91 wrote: »
    Will that work on an Irish DS? Aren't DSi games region-locked, or was it 3DS games? I would've sworn I read about the games being region-locked at some stage, but I don't remember what games it applied to

I heard about the DSi being region-locked, but I tried my American copy of Pokémon Pearl in my cousin's DSi last week and it worked fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Wouldn't have thought there would be region-lock issues for the DSi - maybe just for DSi-specific games (if there's such a thing)? FFIV-DS predates the DSi anyway.

Someone more knowledgeable than I can comment on this I think. Mr K's experience above sounds promising tho!

Have had no issues with Videogamesplus.ca any time I've ordered from them btw. Exvellent service, prompt delivery, etc.

After a bit more searching, I managed to come across a site that lists a few UK retailers of the game, consisting of the following sites

• ASDA
    • sendit.com
    • Zavvi
    • TheHut
    • GameSeek

I've been looking around for some reviews on them and, as expected, fairly mixed opinion but there seems to be plenty of horror stories about overcharging and no delivery and such - have any of you folks had experience dealing with any of these retailers and would you recommend them?

I'd prefer to leave the American version of the game as a last resort - while they appear to be the cheapest (by a fair margin), I don't want to take the chance unless it's the only option left.

EDIT:
    FFIV-DS predates the DSi anyway.
    That fact never actually occured to me. I'm guessing DS games aren't region locked (considering I haven't seen anything suggesting they are, just DSi stuff) so... videogameplus seems to be the best option in that case, ~€15 (excl. shipping) sounds pretty damn good. Off I go to register :pac:

Ooh, €20 with shipping, lovely. Thanks a million for the help, now I just have to wait until I can get my hands on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

DS games aren't region locked only games with DSi only features and are only region locked on a DSi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

This is sort of off topic but if you have a PSP and can get your hands on a Jap psn card you owe it to yourself to DL the 'Complete' version of FFIV on PSN. It's a 2D remake and it's absolutely gorgeous. It has an English language option as well.

Mindkiller wrote: »
    This is sort of off topic but if you have a PSP and can get your hands on a Jap psn card you owe it to yourself to DL the 'Complete' version of FFIV on PSN. It's a 2D remake and it's absolutely gorgeous. It has an English language option as well.
    Unfortunately, I don't have a PSP so that won't be an option :(

At any rate, I've already ordered the DS remake from VideoGamePlus so... all is well :pac:
    Also, Vokes, roughly what sort of delivery times are you talking about when you say 'prompt'? Would it be within a week (working day-wise), or is it likely to be longer since it's coming from Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

It's coming out here soon enough actually. I heard that the translation isn't as good as the ds one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Decided im finally getting round to playing FFIV...only theres so many versions i dont know which to pick. any advise in helping me choose would be great ^_^

Emulator on my PC
    PSone version - Final Fantasy Anthology
    GBA
    DS
    PSP (the new one were talking about)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really liked the DS version and it's got the best localisation of the story. However they changed the game a good bit so you are kind of getting a different game from the SNES version.

For the old version I'd go for either a fan translation of the japanese version or the GBA version. I'd take the fan translation of the SNES japanese rom over the GBA version. The GBA version has a good localisation but the music is terrible. The SNES jap version has all the stuff they cut out from the US release (a hell of a lot of stuff) and is properly localised.

Steer clear of the PS1 versions of Square snes RPGs. The atrocious load times kill the games.

I played the PSone version of V and VI and loading times were annoying but didnt kill it.

Id like to play the PSP version for the new graphics but id be a bit worried if story has been changed alot :S

carbonkid wrote: »
    I played the PSone version of V and VI and loading times were annoying but didnt kill it.

It almost killed it for m especially in FF6 since saving shadow was almost impossible due to the time limit counting down during the load sequences.

Strange...i remember i was cutting it a bit short saving shadow but figured it was designed to be like that.

Emulater is probably best. Im away from home studying and dont have my old modded xbox (b4 360)...its the best for playing emulated games ^_^

I prefer the Wii for that, you get the proper SNES resolution through it that modern video cards don't support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

One thing I've been hearing about the PSP version is that it's crazy easy. I've only beaten the Mist Dragon so I don't know yet.

You can switch between the SNES soundtrack and the new, arranged soundtrack, which is a nice touch.

The translation seems to be taken straight from the SNES version, but I'm not 100% sure. The dialogue is still very awkward. I don't think there are any major changes in story.

Id like for the story to be the same as the snes version...just updated graphics!

Dont like the sound of it been too easy though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

One thing I've been hearing about the PSP version is that it's crazy easy. I've only beaten the Mist Dragon so I don't know yet.

You can switch between the SNES soundtrack and the new, arranged soundtrack, which is a nice touch.

The translation seems to be taken straight from the SNES version, but I'm not 100% sure. The dialogue is still very awkward. I don't think there are any major changes in story.

Too easy? Sounds perfect.

All i really want to know about the PSP remake is if they kept through to the original story...im just going to have to wait for a full review on ign or eurogamer.

After a week of agonising waiting (:P), I finally got the game - I have to say, it's much tougher than I expected (and most other FF games I remember playing).

Also, spoony bards ftw :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement