Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Engineering Apprenticeships 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Ya. I presume there were certain traits and buzz words they were trying to weed out so maybe that would explain it? I asked about the number of positions and they said they are aiming for 20. She said that they may take less than that depending on the quality of the candidates at interview but that the maximum they will be taking is 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Id be fairly warey of the HR in any interview, they are big into their psychology and reading body language and all that ****e(well IMO it is, what has how I sit got to do with if I can operate a spanner correctley). But you have to appease them all, so thats why Ive been hounding the careers officer in college for tips on how to please these HR peeps :)

Unless you start talking ****e then I reckon you will be fine, thats why they ask questions arseways, they try to catch you out.

What are the skills and age of the other lads and ladys doing it? all college graduates or would it be a fairly wide mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kkk1985

just in the door lads.
    i'm happy enough with it. app tests were the same as the ones we did online and went pretty much the same way as before.
    the interview itself was relaxed enough i thought.
    practical questions were grand aswell. straight forward questions about general mechanics, a bit on electricity, and then flight controls and instrument use to fly. big emphases on safety and some rewording of questions.
    hr exactly as ye described above but she seemed to be positive throughout. i think it def physiological and body language she was on to aswell. or else she was eying me up!!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

20 jobs and i expect there is at least 50-60 at the interview stage! yikes

20 jobs and i expect there is at least 50-60 at the interview stage! yikes

I would have said 40-50 per day at interview stage. The HR interviewer said that I had made it from a group in a four figure number to a group in a three figure number so I would have said that it's more like 150 - 200 at interview.

I would have said 40-50 per day at interview stage. The HR interviewer said that I had made it from a group in a four figure number to a group in a three figure number so I would have said that it's more like 150 - 200 at interview.

Holy moly i forgot there was more than one group a day! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Does anyone know when we will know whether we have gotten the job or not? Also I asked one of the eng guys as we were walking back to the lift how many he was interviewing. He said that he was scheduled to interview 5 on that day and he was there for the first half.

D wrote: »
    Does anyone know when we will know whether we have gotten the job or not? Also I asked one of the eng guys as we were walking back to the lift how many he was interviewing. He said that he was scheduled to interview 5 on that day and he was there for the first half.

thats all he might have been doing, but there was other people interviewing people also.
    I imagine we wont find out for maybe 3-4 weeks, they have a crazy load pf paperwork and phone calls and meetings to do.

I imagine we wont find out for maybe 3-4 weeks, they have a crazy load pf paperwork and phone calls and meetings to do.

I think we'll find out sooner than that. After informing the candidates that they have been successful they have to send them for a medical and complete security checking etc., all before the course starts in September. I'm expecting to hear within 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 doink

Anybody know the start date of the apprenticeship?

doink wrote: »
    Anybody know the start date of the apprenticeship?

Usually early september.

Good luck to everybody :)

they never mentioned anything about a medical before?

The engineer said some time in september for the start, i think the second week he said.

*EDIT*

They did alright, Colour vision it says and physically fit, I assume its a standard Apprenticeship medical

they never mentioned anything about a medical before?

The engineer said some time in september for the start, i think the second week he said.

*EDIT*

They did alright, Colour vision it says and physically fit, I assume its a standard Apprenticeship medical

Im suprised that wasnt done this week or even before. I remember applying for the air corps and I needed a Doctors note (e50 to say i was healthy:rolleyes:) , then they did a fitness test.

Was basic enough, although some poor lad couldnt do 20 sit ups in a minute :o

ah stop, most would be done in 30 seconds! poor chap lol

ah stop, most would be done in 30 seconds! poor chap lol

I know I felt sorry for the guy, he didnt look out of shape either, maybe he had a injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭stephenk123

how are things lads. i have an interview with ryanair next week and just wondering what questions the hr person asked. i never had an interview before and i dont know what to prepare for.
    thanks
    stephen

has anyone gotten a email confirming they got what ever stuff had to be emailed in to them?

has anyone gotten a email confirming they got what ever stuff had to be emailed in to them?

I sent in an email but I didn't get any kind of confirmation.

how are things lads. i have an interview with ryanair next week and just wondering what questions the hr person asked. i never had an interview before and i dont know what to prepare for.
    thanks
    stephen

Hi Stephen.

The kind of things I was asked were along the lines of:

Tell me about how you work within a team.

How do you think you will deal with the qualified mechanics who will be teaching you.

You will have a lot of learning to do, how will you cope with this.

Other than that it is the average kind of HR questions to do with motivation etc.

Check this website for some common HR interview questions and tips:

http://hrinterviews.blogspot.com/

I got it! Just got a call from aer lingus. To say i'm ecstatic would be an understatement! Medical is tomorrow so no hanging around.

• Advertisement

I got it! Just got a call from aer lingus. To say i'm ecstatic would be an understatement! Medical is tomorrow so no hanging around.

Well Done :D

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fergal15

anyone else hear from aer lingus??

nuffin im afraid. Not even a email saying bla bla bla

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Skyb

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Snow Leopard

a huge congrats to the successful candidates, well done. It's a great company.

Skyb wrote: »

Well done!

will they be tellin ppl tat they didnt get the job??

id say they will wait a few days until all the people that were accepted have been screened for the medical in case some fail and they offer the position to someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 doink

well done lads.congrats.are yas gonna be based in dub or shannon?

Skyb wrote: »

Of course they would, thats the way companies do it.

wonder ave they rang everyone alredi hu got the job im still hopin

maybe im just being negative but id say they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Maxed-irl

Anyone else hear anything today as i still haven't heard a thing. What age/experience have you guys that got the medical got? Thanks.

Maxed-irl wrote: »
    What age/experience have you guys that got the medical got? Thanks.

I'm 24 and I've no experience in aviation or engineering.

cheers emmet i'm 25 and have four years in an aviation stores and still haven't heard anything

Maxed-irl wrote: »
    cheers emmet i'm 25 and have four years in an aviation stores and still haven't heard anything

I wouldn't give up hope yet, you'd never know how many will fail medical/ security check/ pull out.

• Advertisement

I assume that was a D check, you can be sure that ye wont be doing anything like that.

The guy from EI said it was only A checks that would be carried out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

OT but those Monarch A300's are probably the nicest plane I've ever flown on, not that I've being on many though.

Never would of thought that so much of the interior would be stripped away for maintenance.

I assume that was a D check, you can be sure that ye wont be doing anything like that.

The guy from EI said it was only A checks that would be carried out.

EI get Heavy maintenance done in Bordeaux by sabena. They carry out the A checks in Dublin and shannon.

While you may not be doing any of that, getting the B1 , B2 and then type cert you can be sure you will be capable of that sort of work (and in the future may be expected to).
    However Id imagine most of the work will be line maintenace and turning A/C around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

I assume that was a D check

It depends,it could of been a heavy C check,they vary from light C checks all the way up.My guess would be a C check but there is no way of knowing from that video unless someone here works with monarch and knows their MPD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭brotherrabbit

well lads. can anyone remember what was on the maths test we did for aer lingus! if anyone knows or remembers what came up can the pm me!
    cheers
    B-rabbit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ruthie.NRS

Did anyone else hear anything from aer lingus or do ye reckon that ship has sailed??

01ship.jpg

01ship.jpg

:D That ship looks like it could do with a service, the smoke pouring out of it!

I heard tell that EI had given good news to more than 20 people in order to allow for drop out/failure of any description. I couldn't say with any certainty that this is the case, but if it is then I wouldn't be expecting them to call anyone else.

has anyone got something stating that they didn't get it? They're taking there time to notify people.

nope

• Advertisement
Advertisement