Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The perfect kebab.......

Options
  • 21-03-2011 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Used to regulary eat kebabs out of an indian i worked near and always enjoyed them very much , a real treat.
    I have move work location and tried the local kebab shop tonight, The kebab (doner) was sweet rather than spicy and the meat was dry?? Not being an expert on this cuisine Is this normal or should i try a different FF restraunt in future?.....

tanx cc30

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Ishkanders are the greatest pissed up food ever.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

It's tough to find a nice one really. The Turks make the nicest ones imo, but the Doner Kebab that you're used to was actually formed in Germany, so I believe.

In the UK here, kebabs can be awfully bad but after shopping around for nearly two years, I've found a really, really nice place.

Zaytoons do a great one, fresh salad and great meat.

I really liked Iskanders for the typical kebab, but theres more of a novelty in Zaytoons. (Both in Dublin)

You'll really have to go abroad for a nice one. My dad recently got one in Turkey and was surprised at how tasty it was.

Yes, I'm a kebab fiend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

RichieC wrote: »
    Ishkanders are the greatest pissed up food ever.

I just had a Lamb Shish from there after work. If you go to Iskanders, get the Lamb Shish Plate Meal. Its 12.50 but you get a a tray with salads, sauces, 2 portions of juicy tender lamb squares which are just after being grilled on a skewer and 2 pitta breads. Plus chips and a drink. It really is savage. Avoid the normal doner/schwarma as they are too fatty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I consider myself a bit of a connoisseur on the whole kebab thing. I've yet to get a good kebab in Ireland. Like all good chippers are Italian, all good kebabs are Turkish. Similarly, just like you don't get good chips in Italy, you don't get good kebabs in Turkey. Best kebabs I've had have been in Belgium and Germany.

Firstly the meat should never, ever be hacked off with a knife but rather shaved off the spit with an electric thingamabob that looks like an angle grinder. Secondly the bap should be crispy yet puffy flat bread that will hold the kebab and not explode at one end once you take the first bite. Thirdly, less is more - there's nothing worse than ordering a kebab that is so full that you would be better off getting in to the bath before attempting to eat it.

Best way to prepare is start off with the bap, lightly toasted, add a little salad followed by some of the shaved meat, a little garlic sauce, a little more salad and some more meat. All topped off by sprinkling a spoon full of dried chilli flakes. Makes for consistency the whole way through and a really 'proper' doner! ;)

P.S. - Just like the meat must be shaved, pita bread is never, ever acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Kebab shops seem to be everywhere now, i don't really like them myself though, seeing my mate trying to eat one has turned me off them for life, saying that seeing him eating anything would turn you off food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Tanx lads,
    should the meat be dry (almost hard) ???? it came off one of those long upright skewars.........?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

Tbh you know it serves a decent kebab if the clientele are mainly foreigners (Eastern European, Asian)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Always liked zaytoon kebabs. The meat is tasty, the sauces they put on is tasty & the veg used is very fresh. Yum!

Although I still like a kebab out of the chipper and abra.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

Anyone know where you can buy the bread that they use in places like zaytoon?? Would love to make my own kebabs:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Germany ftw when it comes to Kebabs, your only man!

FAO MCMLXXV, have you been to Rotana? It's Lebanese but very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

S.R.F.C. wrote: »

No - but I'll be sure to give it a go!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

lily lou wrote: »
    Anyone know where you can buy the bread that they use in places like zaytoon?? Would love to make my own kebabs:P

Zaytoon make their own bread in shop... Aldi do a similar kinda Mediterranean wrap.. Quite nice..

Love Zaytoon myself.. There is a nice one beside Zaytoon in templebar aswell.. cant think of the name..

Cant say no to a silvios doner with extra cheese too!! nom nom!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I consider myself a bit of a connoisseur on the whole kebab thing. I've yet to get a good kebab in Ireland. Like all good chippers are Italian, all good kebabs are Turkish. Similarly, just like you don't get good chips in Italy, you don't get good kebabs in Turkey. Best kebabs I've had have been in Belgium and Germany.

Firstly the meat should never, ever be hacked off with a knife but rather shaved off the spit with an electric thingamabob that looks like an angle grinder. Secondly the bap should be crispy yet puffy flat bread that will hold the kebab and not explode at one end once you take the first bite. Thirdly, less is more - there's nothing worse than ordering a kebab that is so full that you would be better off getting in to the bath before attempting to eat it.

Best way to prepare is start off with the bap, lightly toasted, add a little salad followed by some of the shaved meat, a little garlic sauce, a little more salad and some more meat. All topped off by sprinkling a spoon full of dried chilli flakes. Makes for consistency the whole way through and a really 'proper' doner! ;)

P.S. - Just like the meat must be shaved, pita bread is never, ever acceptable.

there is no one way to make kebabs. they are made differently, in different regions of turkey. there are a few different regional recipes etc.
    outside turkey there are differences across the middle east and the greek version "gyros" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Love Zaytoon myself.. There is a nice one beside Zaytoon in templebar aswell.. cant think of the name.

It's called Mezza. Tried it a few weeks ago and it's pretty good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Warper wrote: »
    ...they are too fatty.

...but they taste so good.:p

Genealogy Forum Mod

Just looking at the pictures on that website. Phwoar, the kebabs look nice. I'll have to check them out if I ever get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've always been a big fan of kebabs, but it's hard to find a good one in ireland and impossible to find a truly great one unfortunately.

i've tried iskanders (very disappointed after the talking up that it gets on here) and zaytoon which was actually pretty good, but i'm rarely round that way to get one.

there'a a decent spot that does kebabs in the inside corner of the food emporium on the corner of middle abby street & lower liffey street too.

the best kebab i've ever had though was my local in the town where i grew up in the UK. they're totally out of this world and they've been there as long as i can remember (a good 20 years at least) and i'm going to be home to visit my family in 3 weeks and my mum said she really wants one after the last time i got her one when i was home, so nom noms for me. :D

i'll take a picture and post it here when i come back so you can all lick your screens. :pac:

vibe666 wrote: »
    i've always been a big fan of kebabs, but it's hard to find a good one in ireland and impossible to find a truly great one unfortunately.

i've tried iskanders (very disappointed after the talking up that it gets on here) and zaytoon which was actually pretty good, but i'm rarely round that way to get one.

there'a a decent spot that does kebabs in the inside corner of the food emporium on the corner of middle abby street & lower liffey street too.

the best kebab i've ever had though was my local in the town where i grew up in the UK. they're totally out of this world and they've been there as long as i can remember (a good 20 years at least) and i'm going to be home to visit my family in 3 weeks and my mum said she really wants one after the last time i got her one when i was home, so nom noms for me. :D

i'll take a picture and post it here when i come back so you can all lick your screens. :pac:

I'm looking forward to it.

Where in the UK, if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Ely in Cambridgeshire.

one of those places where nobody is ever likely to go unless they are visiting someone and not really close enough to Cambridge even to be worth a detour if you were over that way unfortunately.

although it does have a very nice Cathedral that is (sometimes, depending on who you ask) considered one to be one of the 7 wonders of the medieval world if you like that sort of thing. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

vibe666 wrote: »
    i've tried iskanders (very disappointed after the talking up that it gets on here) and zaytoon which was actually pretty good, but i'm rarely round that way to get one

It used to be great, it closed down for a while due to fire damage and when I went back there recently I was a little disappointed too. Wasn't as good as I remember it from before. Zaytoon is the best I've had in Dublin, in the city centre area at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

a mixed shwarma from Iskanders on Dame St is one of lifes greatest pleasures! throw in a portion of pickled jalapenos and a garlic dip, and its heaven!

zaytoon is tastey and gives more in quantity than iskanders do although the quality is not as good

has anyone tried kebabish? its on Clanbrassil St Lower and its fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

had kebabs in a turkish place in Germany a few years back,fantastic.Have yet to taste one here as nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Another vote from me for Turkish kebabs in Germany. I've never tasted better. I usually visit Germany once a year and having a kebab is one thing I really look forward to (along with Käsespätzle, Currywurst, Bratkartoffeln...). :)

Sorry, don't mean to sound negative but the ones I've had here come nowhere close. They are twice as dear and not half as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Mine was in Lyon. Hollowed out peice of flat bread. Inside smeared with garlic and chilli sauce then stuffed with the kebab meet and vegetable. Chips stuffed in as well or on the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

i had a delish one in bratislava. it was called a yufka.

i saw a few police officers and military types horsing into em so I decided id have one for my breakfast. absolutly delish!

also had a delish one in budapest too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Ate gorgeous kebabs in the Wedding district of Berlin. We could see the place from our apartment, too tempting!

I think Zaytoon is great, had one there on Saturday night! Really fresh and loads of garlic sauce, yum! I had one from Hot Chili near Portobello bridge and it was nice, quite a spicy sauce on it. It was a bit greasy though and not as fresh as Zaytoon. (I was way drunker though, so it evens out...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ryandublin

Just ordered a Doner kebab wrap from Rotana but it isn't nearly as good as Zaytoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

Twee. wrote: »
    Ate gorgeous kebabs in the Wedding district of Berlin. We could see the place from our apartment, too tempting!

I think Zaytoon is great, had one there on Saturday night! Really fresh and loads of garlic sauce, yum! I had one from Hot Chili near Portobello bridge and it was nice, quite a spicy sauce on it. It was a bit greasy though and not as fresh as Zaytoon. (I was way drunker though, so it evens out...)

You should try Tasty Grill near the Porto bridge they are great .. they also do an all you can eat during the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The one in Macaris in Bray is really good. The best I've found in the Dublin area, though I'm tempted to try Zaytoons after reading this thread.

I had one in Galway a few weeks back. The meat, salad and sauce combo was delicious but the bread was rock hard. I ended up scooping out the contents and not eating the bread at all.

I've had a few German kebabs before. They were good, but not amazing. The best I had was in a small town outside Stuttgart. I went back there a few times but it wasn't the best ever. They used something that was halfway between a burger bun and a ciabatta bread for the bread in it.

The best I've had was in Madrid. There is a place in Arguelles there and it is amazing. It's a strange one. They're a franchise of a famous name and they've a few of them spread across the city. One of them was even near my flat there but the kebabs there were nothing compared to the ones in Arguelles. It was simply amazing. It was called a double cheese kebab so the cheese might have helped but it simply astonishing and the portions were huge too. Best. Ever.

Advertisement