Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ticknock MTB Trail

• 21-03-2011 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Went for a spin on the new trails over the weekend, is it just me or are they extremely fast in comparison to the likes of Ballinastoe?

Very good job by Coillte:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Ah_go_on wrote: »
    Went for a spin on the new trails over the weekend, is it just me or are they extremely fast in comparison to the likes of Ballinastoe?

Very good job by Coillte:)

I don't think it's just you... was up there a couple weeks back and it certainly seemed quicker/not as technical as Ballinastoe (but I think it was the easy trail we went down that day)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Yeah did both the upper and lower sections and found on the upper one that I just took off like a hot snot as soon as there was a bit of downhill. Really enjoyable and nice to see they've improved the parking arrangements there too.

Looking forward to the stretch in the evenings now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

I done both sections on Sunday and found it more technical than Ballinastoe tbh. The upper section takes of like a rocket! Done both sections twice and was bollixed!

Good stuff all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭smok

When people say upper and lower - are there two trails?
    I know there is one that starts next to where the bone shaker starts. Have I been missing a section?
    Also I heard that there should be a figure of 8 trail when complete - are there any sections currently under construction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

smok wrote: »
    When people say upper and lower - are there two trails?
    I know there is one that starts next to where the bone shaker starts. Have I been missing a section?
    Also I heard that there should be a figure of 8 trail when complete - are there any sections currently under construction?

If you turn your back to start of the "boneshaker" and head up towards the highest part of the mountain, follow the fireroad around to the left, the entrance to the second section will be on your right! A bit of a climb to get started, then it gets very fast ..... watch out for all the pointy rocks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Mr November

This might help...

This might help...

Thats the one alright. There was some gob****e going the wrong way up the upper trail without a helmet, just wearing a bandana on Sunday. I seen him on the slower section however I wonder if anybody crashed into him???

Might be an idea for Coillte to put some decent signage up there asap:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭smok

This might help...

Thanks!
    How did you capture that map?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Good work on the map- going to hit this trail at the weekend. I'm still a newbie, so not sure what to expect...

zacmorris wrote: »
    Good work on the map- going to hit this trail at the weekend. I'm still a newbie, so not sure what to expect...

Make sure your brakes work :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Got myself one of these , so should be ok for now (glad I got hydraulic disc brakes now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Got myself one of these , so should be ok for now (glad I got hydraulic disc brakes now)

Thats a nice bike, take your time on it and get used to offroading...the trails are fast and flowing on Ticknock, nothing too tricky at all, so relax and keep your eye out for other trail users both on and off bikes..

Ballinastoe would probably be the better choice for 1st time out, after the initial climb there's about 6 different sections so plenty of chances to pause and take a rest..

Nice bike, enjoy yourself:)

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Thats a nice bike, take your time on it and get used to offroading...the trails are fast and flowing on Ticknock, nothing too tricky at all, so relax and keep your eye out for other trail users both on and off bikes..

Ballinastoe would probably be the better choice for 1st time out, after the initial climb there's about 6 different sections so plenty of chances to pause and take a rest..
    Thanks for the advice. Might do that so. went up to the hellfire at the weekend, but the trails were very short (don't even think they are MTB trails) just went for a few laps to christen the bike. Going to hit Ballinastoe this weekend-is there a map floating about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Thanks for the advice. Might do that so. went up to the hellfire at the weekend, but the trails were very short (don't even think they are MTB trails)

Best way to get to know the trails around Dublin is join a club like MAD, they are running introductory spins this weekend: Here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Mr November

smok wrote: »
    Thanks!
    How did you capture that map?

iPhone App - Cyclemeter

Was up there the other week with two mates… lashin down one of the new sections, thinking we’re "deadly" and all that... then this little ten year old knacker comes buzzin down on a little kids bike with no front breaks …”JAYSUS, That was bleedin Rapid lads!!!” :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Up there meself on Sunday first time in ten years or more. Managed to pass two 8yr olds on baby mtbs on the lower trail with their dad.

Everybody having the craic! Well done Coillte et al.

Best way to get to know the trails around Dublin is join a club like MAD, they are running introductory spins this weekend: Here

Hi Tenzor,

Looks great, not a bad idea at all. Might just head up on Sunday, seems like a great way to learn.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Looks like the trails will be officially open and ready to race!!

http://www.biking.ie/dublin-blitz

The Dublin Blitz will mark the "official opening" of the trials. They should be finished and signposted sooner than that though.

Morgan wrote: »
    The Dublin Blitz will mark the "official opening" of the trials.

And it even says that on the poster :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Threads merged

Looks like the trails will be officially open and ready to race!!

http://www.biking.ie/dublin-blitz

Racing on those trails? They are practically all down hill and narrow as anything, never mind lined with rocks. It'll be a race to the trail head and a queue back down I reckon.

studiorat wrote: »
    Racing on those trails? They are practically all down hill and narrow as anything, never mind lined with rocks. It'll be a race to the trail head and a queue back down I reckon.

Make sure you sprint off from the start line, hit the singletrack 1st and hold onto that place until the finish line! :)

Its not road racing after all!! :rolleyes: :D

Anyone race this yesterday, how did it go?

Was going to before I heard Leo Vradkar was going to be there. Went to Ballinastoe instead. Nice picture on todays times though.

• Advertisement

studiorat wrote: »
    Was going to before I heard Leo Vradkar was going to be there. Went to Ballinastoe instead. Nice picture on todays times though.

Bah Humbug there Rat! :D
    Morgan wrote: »

Looks like it was fun, not sure how suitable the narrow trails were for racing though...will await further pics! :cool:

Bah Humbug there Rat! :D

abso-bleedin'-loutely... Was looking forward to it, but I didn't trust myself not to hurl abuse at him.

Truth be told I prefer Ballinastoe, that bottom trail in Ticknock is a bit too rock garden for me. Went down it with a new front tyre last week, it was like a shopping trolley on the front, very entertaining. Back to the old ones please...

Hmm...yea was thinking about converting to a 15mm QR Axle, will stop that sorta thing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 Grimpeur

Pic on front page of the Irish Times this morning but no report.

http://irishtimes.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

Grimpeur wrote: »
    Pic on front page of the Irish Times this morning but no report.

http://irishtimes.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

Would have to be a Cork man that gets into the pic of the 1st official Dublin bike trails! :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Did the race at Ticknock yesterday. Very accessible in one sense. Haven't used a MTB before so rented one for €20 and went out in the Baggy Shorts category. Went incognito so as not to embarrass my club, but managed not to hurt anyone other than myself. Very polite bunch you truffle hunters!

Respect to the skills required for this stuff. The riders in that video make it look very easy. It isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

was up there myself.
    Very well organised, good buzz to the event, nice family feel as well.

The trail itself is fairly technical in places, and would have to say that using large rocks as means of marking the trail is a recipe for trouble. Hopefully it's just an interim thing.

Other than that, great to have another facility available, and hopefully one they can expand over time and well done to Niall Davis/biking.ie for the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

Was up there myself, i didnt race but the little fella did. It was also great to see so many of the dominating NPS riders there two, and yet another superb setup by Niall and Tarja (biking.ie).

Advertisement