Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Maths ?

• 21-03-2011 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Ok, so I just got my mock back for HL Maths (examcraft btw) and I got a D3 barely passing, so I wanted so get some advice if I should drop or not ? Many of my friends scrapped passes aswell and they're telling me not to drop because we'll do better in the real thing. I'm willing to put in effort and it's not like I don't understand it (apart from some part c's I can't do....) I could do the exam papers no problem, but I found that mock praticularly hard..... Anyone else in the same situation as I am ?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Can only speak for myself here, but I failed maths test after maths test until the real thing and got a D1.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

I got 39% in my maths exam, was pretty dissapointed I didn't pass but I've put that down to my dire knowledge of the circle/line on paper 2.

I was one of 4 in my maths class to fail out of 7(With one not doing the exam due to personal reasons), I'm seriously deliberating whether or not to drop whereas another person in my class who got 25%(? in and around) and has been recieving maths grinds is adamant he won't drop even though he is doing very poor and doesn't seem to show the ability to do HL maths.

I think it is foolish to jeopardize your LC over HL maths when if you could easily get the course without doing it you should. I'm waiting on my final results in the mocks and will tout up the points and from there decide whether I should risk doing HL maths or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DessieMG

To be honest, it depends, If you're willing to put in a tough 12 weeks then you could definitely get a c if not a low b, if you're trying really hard then i would consider moving down. A maths teacher at my school told me that if you do honors up until the day and then move down to pass in j
    June, the highest you can get is a b3, completely different course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I would talk to your teacher and ask her if it was a particularly hard exam. If you have been working your arse off to get the D3, then I would consider dropping, but if you haven't really been putting in huge work, try harder and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

i got an E in both my papers in the mocks and then got a c3 in the real thing, i needed it for engineering, go for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xxpopopxx

Overature wrote: »
    i got an E in both my papers in the mocks and then got a c3 in the real thing, i needed it for engineering, go for it

thanks for this, haha this kinda cheered me up ! :p yeah i'll work my ass off and get a decent grade!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If you did pass and put in the extra effort coming up to the end, I would say you could improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

xxpopopxx wrote: »
    thanks for this, haha this kinda cheered me up ! :p yeah i'll work my ass off and get a decent grade!

yeah do it, it not impossible. i got some grinds. learn all the different part of the paper and what type of question comes up in each, once you learn how to do it you can kinda cross it off the list and revise it later

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ciara95

Hi guys, sorry to hijack this thread(mods feel free to delete), but i was just wondering if you think its worth doing HL maths? I didnt want to start another thread called Higher level maths so thought i'd ask here.
    Do you think its worth the effort. I will be starting 5th year this sept. will i have to make a decision higher or pass? I dont want to do a college course to do with maths, and am pretty sure i dont want to do a course that requires HL maths. And i dont want to waste time/be worrying about it, when i wont even be counting it for points. I feel i could do very well at ordinary level. I do Higher everything else, so would count my other subjects for points
    Thanks for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Well it takes more effort for certain people. For me it wasnt worth the effort. I wasnt really trying and was getting 30-40%. Im sure if I put in a lot of work I could've got a decent if not good result but I had 2 extra subjects so I could afford to drop it. Alternatively some people find maths and other numerical subjects very easy. If you are one of those people then I'd advise you to go with it. If you think you are able for it theres no reason why you shouldnt do it. And with bonus points coming in you'll definitely have an incentive. My opinion would be try it for half a year or at least until after your first set of major tests (November of Christmas tests). See how you're getting on and if its taking too much effort to get a good grade drop down. I dropped down in January of 6th year and I have plenty of time to learn the pass course so dont let the fact that theres two different courses put you off starting with higher level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

i still think if you think you're capable of it do it. alot of courses while not needing higher math it can be of advantage specially in sceince subjects. it also gives you a much more logical way of thinking about things and some employers like to see that. but if you are 100% sure it wont be handy for your course and its gonna make you do worse in other subjects you do need then dont do it

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mozzypuffs

I dot 61% in my mocks and the teacher has asked me to decide if i should go down to pass or stay with the higher level. I have always been wavering between the decision since the start of 6th year and now its time to decide but im not sure! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

mozzypuffs wrote: »
    I dot 61% in my mocks and the teacher has asked me to decide if i should go down to pass or stay with the higher level. I have always been wavering between the decision since the start of 6th year and now its time to decide but im not sure! :confused:

I wouldn't even think about dropping if I got that! No need to drop unless you got a D3 or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

mozzypuffs wrote: »

That's a C2 which is a good honour!! I definitely wouldn't drop down.

I got a C1 and I wouldn't even think of dropping down......I'm even hoping for a B1 at the end. If you increase your workload at all, surely you can't get any lower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I got a D3 in the mocks and got a C2 in the real thing just because I got more used to the exam questions..

honestly I'll admit I didn't work half hard enough so if you do work and do all the work your teacher sets out you will do much better in the leaving cert...

your probably only after just finishing the course or you might not even be finished yet.. once you start revising in class it'll come together especially when you start doing the exam papers

if you were fit to pass the mocks you'll be more than fit to pass the leaving - and your teacher will tell you this too if you ask

keep working and you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

I got 20 % in the mocks and I'm sticking with it. I literally did nothing for a year and a half and with any bit of work at all I should be able to pass. I'm not a complete retard btw. We're doing pretty much all revision from now 'til June so it should be graaaand!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

We were told that our grades would go up by about 15% in the real thing. I got a D but it was mainly because I paniced on the day and made lots of stupid mistakes. I have to say, if I went back to 5th year, I would definately drop. It's too much work in comparison to other subjects!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

xxpopopxx wrote: »
    Ok, so I just got my mock back for HL Maths (examcraft btw) and I got a D3 barely passing, so I wanted so get some advice if I should drop or not ? Many of my friends scrapped passes aswell and they're telling me not to drop because we'll do better in the real thing. I'm willing to put in effort and it's not like I don't understand it (apart from some part c's I can't do....) I could do the exam papers no problem, but I found that mock praticularly hard..... Anyone else in the same situation as I am ?? :confused:

I failed my mocks, I think I got 25% in it or so, the xmas exams I got 20% and in one or two class tests i got an N.G. I was repeatedly told to drop down that I wasnt able for it.

I absolutely hate people telling me that I cant do something and also I had my heart set on being an engineer requiring a minimum of a c3. I worked my ass off and dropped to pass irish and french in order to free up more time for my other 6 honours subjects, maths was my main priority, I dint bother getting grinds, I went to the revision course in the institute at easter, the only benefit i found of that was teh worked solution to the exam papers. In the end I got a B1, got my engineering course and am now studying for my finals with an ordinary degree in maths under my belt.

My advice would be that if you really think that you can do it then stick with it, take grinds if you feel the need, and just practice exam scripts over and over. Its actually not that bad once you get your head around it and dont let it intimidate you

Advertisement