Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring a Self Bulid

• 21-03-2011 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi

I was thinking of Buying a panel van with the view to converting it to a Motorhome. Is it hard to get insurance once this is done?

Cheers

Shay.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Shaymeyabu wrote: »
    Hi

I was thinking of Buying a panel van with the view to converting it to a Motorhome. Is it hard to get insurance once this is done?

Cheers

Shay.

Insurance will be fine, I insured mine with no questions asked. Getting it classified as a camper from a panel van is a bigger stumbling block...

Check out this thread for an insight into the whole process and costs:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056209275

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sam.b

stevire, who did you get insurance with without any hassle, most are asking me of all type of reports/inspections, photos, club memberships etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You won't get insurance on a conversion without an engineers report. Every company will want it. My conversion is insured with Dolmen and I had to get an engineers report.

In terms of the re-classification, what Steveire has posted has been changed. They've decided that it was simply too easy to re-classify before now, and so they've made it more complicated and confusing now.

Check out the two threads in my sig for more info on what you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Shaymeyabu

I'm about 90% Finished my van now.. Just waiting on some upholstory for the seats then I'll Take it to the man and see what he says!!! :)

I live in Louth and I was talking to the girls in the tax office they said that I'd have to bring the van down to them for an inspection first.. then they'd have it recalssified.. once it met the minimum Criteria.. Seems like every local authority deals with these reclassifications differently..

Shay.

Shaymeyabu wrote: »
    I'm about 90% Finished my van now.. Just waiting on some upholstory for the seats then I'll Take it to the man and see what he says!!! :)

I live in Louth and I was talking to the girls in the tax office they said that I'd have to bring the van down to them for an inspection first.. then they'd have it recalssified.. once it met the minimum Criteria.. Seems like every local authority deals with these reclassifications differently..

Shay.

It's a revenue decision, not a local authority one. The tax office can't re-classify it. It needs to be done in Rosslare. What they're talking about is the old method of doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It's a revenue decision, not a local authority one. The tax office can't re-classify it. It needs to be done in Rosslare. What they're talking about is the old method of doing it.

Take it in and see what they the moter tax office used to be able to change the log book so see what happens. ;)

Take it in and see what they the moter tax office used to be able to change the log book so see what happens. ;)

They won't though. I went through a ball of hassle with them over it, because there's VRT involved. I had to bring in all the documentation and receipts from the revenue before they'd do it. In fact, I had to bring in the letter that said it would be done by xyz, so I could tax it. When the revenue didn't do it they eventually did it because I couldn't tax the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Poula

I finished my van in December. Popped into the local motor tax office to tax it as a camper. They couldn't have been more helpful. She Asked me to drop down with my van (whenever suited me). She had a quick nosey inside to make sure it was camper compliant, regards height, sink, hob etc. Brought me back in where she completed the paperwork for me. I just had to sign. She then took my VLC and told me that when the new one arrived just pop in and It'd be taxed as a camper. The new VLC arrived about a week later. Motorcaravan!! :). Great success!!!

Paid my road tax €86...... nice...... Got my SIMI report done for €20 and took some photos. posted these to Dolmen. Got my Insurance cert in the post 2 days later. Have been enoying nice long weekends away ever since :D. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Shaymeyabu

Poula wrote: »
    I finished my van in December. Popped into the local motor tax office to tax it as a camper. They couldn't have been more helpful. She Asked me to drop down with my van (whenever suited me). She had a quick nosey inside to make sure it was camper compliant, regards height, sink, hob etc. Brought me back in where she completed the paperwork for me. I just had to sign. She then took my VLC and told me that when the new one arrived just pop in and It'd be taxed as a camper. The new VLC arrived about a week later. Motorcaravan!! :). Great success!!!

Paid my road tax €86...... nice...... Got my SIMI report done for €20 and took some photos. posted these to Dolmen. Got my Insurance cert in the post 2 days later. Have been enoying nice long weekends away ever since :D. Best of luck.

Wow you make it seem so easy!! :) I'm ready to get the van registered as a camper now but have been putting it off due to all the messing around I'll have to do. Think I'll try the Motortax office first. Can't hurt to try.

Advertisement