Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst pain you've ever experienced?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

A ball hit me full force in the face and broke my front teeth. Ow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Deep Heat on your balls.
    Oh lord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Testicular torsion.

+1 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Got hit with a sliotar in the eye when I was in primary school. You can still see the shape of it around my eye :(

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Blundering my way out of bed after being woken abruptly, and then stepping on a power plug without realising it. The long pin went right through my heel, to the bone. Which was fine! Er, until I woke up enough to notice, and had to pull it out. Ouchies. :(

At least it made bowling more interesting the following day - I was hopping one-footed down the alley, like some crazed, bowling ball wielding maniac. Best birthday ever!

Also bad: crashing a bike directly into a brick wall at high speed, being kneed in the face by an over-enthusiastic, frolicking basketball teammate, and falling 20 feet while rock-climbing during a transition year trip. Yay for the nervous system, and the abuse it endures!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

amacachi wrote: »
    Possibly an abscess.

Not the sorest but the one I fear is my back going again. Any niggle and I immediately get scared. A couple of days off your tits on painkillers and lying on your front isn't as fun as it sounds. :(
    I'd be inclined to say that an abscess is easily the most painful thing that I've ever experienced. Worst part was running out of the painkillers my GP had prescribed and being stuck on a 3(?)-hour flight back from Spain with absolutely no pain relief... absolute agony :(

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

sgb wrote: »
    sneezing when I had fractured ribs

This is horrible! Laughing was also painfull...what lovely friends I had who intentionally made me laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

Slipped a disk in my back from falling off a horse. I had to get back up again and ride six miles home after that, I actually couldn't move the next morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

When I was swimming (should have been a harmless sport :() a few years ago, my sister dived down in front of me and when kicking back caught my hand. Completely dislocated the middle bone in my baby finger. Went to the doc, who said it was just swelling and bruising, and strapped it up. Took off the bandages a few weeks later and I was left with a (probably) permanent dislocation. Every so often the bone moves in some awkward way and there is ridiculous pain until it sits back, the longest that lasted was about 3 or 4 days where I couldn't move any of my fingers from the pain :(

Still haven't forgiven her for that one :mad::P

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

Hearing the Corrs butcher 'Old Town' by Phil Lynott.

Most excruciating experience of my life

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

So it turns out whiplash is pretty painful. I'd put it high on my list anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Getting stitches pulled out of my elbow joint after breaking a tendon was fairly painful.

Tearing all three ligaments in my right ankle in a game of football was agony after the impact.

Abcess (sp) is pretty bad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Patellar tendinitis, a few years ago. Could barely walk for weeks, couldn't run for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Hmmm its a toss up between being hit square in the back of the head by a golf ball leaving a lump which still hasnt fully gone away 8 years later! Or breaking three ribs boxing, the initial pain wasnt bad, it was the couple of weeks after where everything from moving, coughing, sneezing and laughing caused agony!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Worst pain, is one of the 5 knee injuries i've had. Probably the most recent one, on crutches for like 2 months? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Liberum Avis

Got glass in my foot which couldn't be located. Started getting gangrene which was cut out leaving a hole in my foot to the bone. Every day they had to change the dressing which entailed pulling about ten feet of gauge from the hole and replacing it. I used to dread the nurses coming every day to do the job in the hospital. I was only 18 at the time. They also thought they would have to amputate the foot as it was spreading. Gladly it didnt and the process worked. And this is coming from a woman who has given birth to four kids. Thats what I got for dancing in my bare feet at a disco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

it's hard to remember but here's a list of my top ones;
    spilling oil from a smoking frying pan on my hand as a kid [1st if not 2nd degree burns]
    rotating 180 degrees on my ankle after it got stuck in a hole in a field
    being thrown and kicked with both feet by a horse into my ribs,I went blind from pain/lack of air for a while.
    Colic[sp?] Stomach cramps,probably the worst,the bad ones will make me fall from standing and I've had to crawl to the bathroom during the night before.
    One of the most terrifying was when a tractor was rolling against me leg and I could see my shin flexing between two bars,it hurt a lot but the thought of watching my own leg break made it so much worse.Same with putting the prong of a fork through my foot,it's the shock of it more tan the pain,still hurt like hell though

I probably have worse but that's what I can remember now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Jaysus Ginja, you've been through the wars! >_>

Worst pain for me was one day last summer when I swallowed my anti-depressant, just like I do every day. You should always take tablets with water but I got lazy and just swallowed them without. It felt a little uncomfortable in my throat but I kept swallowing to make it go away. After about 40 mins it started to burn and I was crippled over the toilet. I didn't know what the hell was wrong. My chest felt like it was on fire, but from the inside so I couldn't ease it in any way.

I spent about half an hour wretching, sweating and feeling like I was burning up from the inside until my Mum figured it out, made me drink about a litre of milk and gradually the pain subsided. Part or all of the tablet had been lodged in my oesophagus. I never take tablets without water anymore :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

ooo i know what mine is, i ran into the opening of a slide when i was 9, it was one of those metal slides and the edge was quite sharp, i shattered the front of my skull and had a slice of my forehead from one side of my forehead to the other cut off, had to get 55 stitches and i was in hospital for a month :(
    pretty traumatic.... still get a bit of a laugh though when i tell people that i ran into a slide lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Something happened one that made me really upset and I had a panic attack, only time it's ever happened to me. Scared the crap outta me. But it felt like Bigfoot was stepping on my chest. I actually felt like something was trying to compress me. I've never felt worse in my life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement