Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schutzhund training?

• 21-03-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Hi all... :)

Schutzhund training, in my opinion it is a great sport for the dogs and it is very rewarding to see the dogs and thier owners/handlers at work.

What i'm wondering is there anyone out there that has done this or is doing this at the minute with a Rottweiler? I am aware of the GSA and have been on its website, i have contacted the one based in Dunboyne through email but i am awaiting reply.

Another issue is that this seems in Ireland anyway to be dominated by German Shepherd Dogs and not a single Rottwieler seems to be out there doing this. I stand to be corrected on the last point, so me and my rottie will hopefully be taking part some time soon in schutzhund somewhere!!

Any help would be much appreciated ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

In most Schutzhund clubs you will find mostly Mals and GSDs and not so many Rotties because Rotties take so long to mature, you usually can't start any serious training with a Rottie until 18 months by this stage most people doing Schutzhund with a Mal or GSD would already have picked up a few titles.
    That said I think Rotties are worth the wait, there is nothing more impressive that seeing a Rottie work the sleeve! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Hey GSA is mostly dominated by GSD however it welcomes all breeds interested. In my club we have 2 rotties and 1 labrador doing very well. Its an amazing sport and me and my dog love it!!!!!

PM anytime for more info.
    PS. Dunboyne is good but not effient in communications obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

New to the whole Schutzhund thing myself but there are two rotties in the place Iv been going to! Most clubs will accept all breeds! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I imagine it's a case that GSDs are most suited to it, therefore they excel at it and win all the prizes which in turn would prompt some people who already have an interest in the sport to get a GSD if they are getting a new dog.

Much the same as how herding dogs (various collie breeds etc.) dominate all the prizes in agility as they just seem to have a natural talent for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Maligator

I imagine it's a case that GSDs are most suited to it, therefore they excel at it and win all the prizes which in turn would prompt some people who already have an interest in the sport to get a GSD if they are getting a new dog.

Much the same as how herding dogs (various collie breeds etc.) dominate all the prizes in agility as they just seem to have a natural talent for it.

I disagree, the german shepherd is a more popular breed,that's it! There are some good ones here but very very few when you take into account the amount of them,Most of them are terrible working dogs, windy, nervy un healthy, Very much an inferior working dog to the malinois,
    the GSA is a german shepherd club therefore they promote this particular breed, there are only 2 malinois working in schutzhund in the South of Ireland Og waterside and one or two up north in Og templepatrick.
    Regarding gsd's doing all the winning, in the ipo world championships(all breeds) it is completely dominated by malinois. schutzhund/ipo/vpg is a test made originally for the german shepherd dog to gauge suitability for police work but over the years the test has been made easier and easier more routine and style and training than serious evaluation of a dog
    You are right about herding dogs mali's are herders, so too are rotties, I would suggest a smaller more agile more driven working rottie over showdog type rottie for this sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maligator wrote: »
    There are some good ones here but very very few when you take into account the amount of them,Most of them are terrible working dogs, windy, nervy un healthy, Very much an inferior working dog to the malinois,
    Which sadly says a lot about too many of the GSD breed today :( I'd put money that the same sentiment 40 years would be more unusual.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement