Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your top 3 **** list. ( only counts if you played those games )

Options

Comments

GTA4 was terrible - it was far, far, far too dark! I spend the vast majority of it running into walls. It's like they upped the atmosphere from San Andreas but sucked the fun out of it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

GTA4 was terrible - it was far, far, far too dark! I spend the vast majority of it running into walls. It's like they upped the atmosphere from San Andreas but sucked the fun out of it completely.

i second that, gta4 was horrible. i got it on ps3 and it was worst looking game i ever seen in my life.... boring, annoying, and nothing what they promised.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wouldn't say GTA4 was terrible it was just a big step backwards from Vice City and San Andreas and consequently no where near as much fun. It just didn't have the mission variety and the move away from the comedy writing of the previous games didn't work because quite frankly the writing was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

NTMK wrote: »
    ha. It has to be one of the most delayed game of all time it was due out near the end of the PS1's cycle didnt come out until the end PS2's cycle and there was no graphics improvement at all:pac:

well thats true to the Gaelic spirit of the game then, "ah shure t'will be grand"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

NTMK wrote: »
    ha. It has to be one of the most delayed game of all time it was due out near the end of the PS1's cycle didnt come out until the end PS2's cycle and there was no graphics improvement at all:pac:

Actually that's not true. Was made in about a year although the idea was bandied about for a while and for a lot of it totally made up by the god awful irish OPM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

CKWPORT wrote: »
    2. Pariah (PC) Nobody probably knows of this, only played a few levels and couldn't take it anymore, pure p1ssy guns was the main reason, there were other reasons why I hated it, but it was so long ago I don't remember.

You've just brought the horror flooding back to me. What an awful piece of **** that game was. I stuck with it because I had nothing else to play :(

My 3:

1) Alpha Protocol (360)- I was waiting for this game for months, reading great preiews and then I got my hands on it. Controls are horrible, gunplay is **** and the guy you're forced to play as in it is a lifeless bland knobend. ****ing horrible game.

2) Chrome (PC) - Picked this up in a bargain bin a few years ago and when I played it, I understood why it was there. A horribly broken game in every area, from its dull level design, completely busted vehicle sections and weapons that might as well have been euro shop toy guns for all the bang they had about them.

3) Bayonetta (360) - After hearing friends and some posters on here talking about it I decided to pick it up and try it out. Seriously lads? If this is someones idea of a good game, they obviously haven't played very many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

DarkJager wrote: »
    3) Bayonetta (360) - After hearing friends and some posters on here talking about it I decided to pick it up and try it out. Seriously lads? If this is someones idea of a good game, they obviously haven't played very many.
    That's the first listed game that shocked me.

I loved Bayonetta :pac:

What didn't you like about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

DarkJager wrote: »
    You're wrong. So wrong. So very very very very very wrong. :pac:

Healium wrote: »
    That's the first listed game that shocked me.

I loved Bayonetta :pac:

What didn't you like about it?

It was cheeeeeeeeesy as feck, but in a good way. It knew it's cheesy, so it had fun with it. Damn hard bosses thought, still stuck on that flying head yoke.

One thing I hate about the game thought, is that continue system. If you wasted pots on first fight, the when you continue it will mean they all gone... So you need to turn off game and do load if you want retry with all your inventory... Same was in dmc, which I hated

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

gizmo wrote: »
    You're wrong. So wrong. So very very very very very wrong. :pac:

He's right! Anyone who recommended Bayonetta to you is not your friend!:)

• Advertisement

mrm wrote: »
    He's right! Anyone who recommended Bayonetta to you is not your friend!:)

You are wrong! Wrooooooooong! :)))

Bayonetta is one of the best games to come out in years. Anyone that doesn't like it just doesn't understand the game. If you are a fan of the genre though then there's nothing better in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cots1

You people are lucky, I shelled out 60 euro when I was a Kid for Simpson Skate Boarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

every lord of the rings game made

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bayonetta is one of the best games to come out in years. Anyone that doesn't like it just doesn't understand the game. If you are a fan of the genre though then there's nothing better in it.

Emm, let me apply that to Halo 3. Yeah as I thought, that doesn't made for a valid argument for any game.

I saw the combinations list for Bayonetta and yeah, it is mouthwatering. Looks really deep. But the opening section sums up what I felt was the dealbreaker in the game (the bit on the floating rock/ timepiece?? I think). I think Bayonetta is fighting another female but there is so much superfluous 'bling' happening on the screen you cannot clearly see the game activity, nor what the button presses are achieving. In a visual medium such as gaming it just became too much as I progressed through the game. Then queue lengthy p1ss poor (again superfluous) cutscenes, which allow you to leave down the controller too much.:mad:

And that leads me to my second choice - Assassins Creed 2, a game I feel that has the ratio of cutscenes to gameplay completely wrong. One of the ills some modern games is lengthy (and poor) cutscenes with often short tedious gameplay in between. AC2 nailed this. Boring boring game.

But as you say Retro, if you are a fan of a genre..... I'm just not a fan of poor or boring or cheesy!:eek:

Can't think of a third choice yet.

@ Deathrider, was Clayfighter the game with the fighting Elvis character with the 'quiff punch'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Emm, let me apply that to Halo 3. Yeah as I thought, that doesn't made for a valid argument for any game.

I saw the combinations list for Bayonetta and yeah, it is mouthwatering. Looks really deep. But the opening section sums up what I felt was the dealbreaker in the game (the bit on the floating rock/ timepiece?? I think). I think Bayonetta is fighting another female but there is so much superfluous 'bling' happening on the screen you cannot clearly see the game activity, nor what the button presses are achieving. In a visual medium such as gaming it just became too much as I progressed through the game. Then queue lengthy p1ss poor (again superfluous) cutscenes, which allow you to leave down the controller too much.:mad:

And that leads me to my second choice - Assassins Creed 2, a game I feel that has the ratio of cutscenes to gameplay completely wrong. One of the ills some modern games is lengthy (and poor) cutscenes with often short tedious gameplay in between. AC2 nailed this. Boring boring game.

But as you say Retro, if you are a fan of a genre..... I'm just not a fan of poor or boring or cheesy!:eek:

Can't think of a third choice yet.

@ Deathrider, was Clayfighter the game with the fighting Elvis character with the 'quiff punch'?

I think thats Rouge Trip, for the PS1? Game like Twisted Metal with cars shooting each other? I could be completely off the mark here though. There is a weird Elvis type character in Rouge Trip anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭newirishshogun

Showing my age, But
    Rise of the Robots, it was even on the cover of edge ffs
    Couldnt afford to but crap games, always waited for reviews, sopme I didnt like but rarely crap.

The game is all about not being distracted by the 'flash' and using the right combinations. If you are playing it on easy and button bashing then you aren't really getting the full experience. If you didn't like Devil May Cry 3 or Ninja Gaiden then the game just isn't for you but in that sub genre Bayonetta is way ahead of the curve.

I don't know what you mean by applying that argument to Halo 3 considering Halo 3 isn't even close to being the best in it's genre?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,788 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm a huge fan of the genre but I didn't really like Bayonetta. Wouldn't be one of the worst games I've ever played but definitely not one of the best. Characters were crap. Story was crap. Enemies were crap. Some of the levels (motorbike, missile, gun turrets) were crap. QTE's were crap. Music was crap. Constant "Look at me I'm a girl and I have lady parts which you can't see" bits were crap. Cutscenes and movies were crap. Only good part was most of (but not all) the gameplay, which is obviously one of the most important aspects.

Give me Devil May Cry 3 any day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Some turds that no one has mentioned.

Aquanaut's Holiday - PS1
    Street Fighter 2 - C64
    Super Mario Bros 2 - NES
    PaRappa the Rapper - PS1
    Zoop - SNES

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

1) Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes - Really just hated everything about this game. The camera, the dialogue, the story, the characters. I had already been spolied by Splinter Cell and this game just seemed pathetic in comparison.

2) Sonic Free Riders - Made the mistake of picking up this unplayable mess.

3) Little Big Planet - Would have never thought of it only somebody else already mentioned it. Was lucky enough to get into the Eurogamer Beta and was really impressed by it. Bought the full title and realised that it offered nothing over the demo. If I wanted to make my own levels I'd become a game developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

:confused: So an argument doesnt work for one game, therefore it doesn work for any? Lets try your logic somewhere else:
    "Half Life is a brilliant FPS", ok lets take that statement and change Half Life for Fifa 2010. "Fifa 2010 is a brilliant FPS". Ok well Fifia 2010 is clearly not a brilliant FPS, therefore Half Life is not a brilliant FPS.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    [/B]

I think thats Rouge Trip, for the PS1? Game like Twisted Metal with cars shooting each other? I could be completely off the mark here though. There is a weird Elvis type character in Rouge Trip anyway.

i loved rogue trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i spent freaking ages playing it!!!!! how can someone say its ****? it was cheesy allrgiht, but good ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

CKWPORT wrote: »
    1(DIS)Honorable mentions:
    Fable III, Borderlands :eek:, Just Cause 2, Bioshock 2

Just finished Just Cause 2 last night. Thought it was one of the better games I've played in a while. Loved the freedom to do whatever you wanted to. And the fact that I picked it up for a tenner didn't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

ricero wrote: »
    every lord of the rings game made

The Battle for Middle Earth was a very good RTS but i will admit all the 3rd person action games were pants

Barrington wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of the genre but I didn't really like Bayonetta. Wouldn't be one of the worst games I've ever played but definitely not one of the best. Characters were crap. Story was crap. Enemies were crap. Some of the levels (motorbike, missile, gun turrets) were crap. QTE's were crap. Music was crap. Constant "Look at me I'm a girl and I have lady parts which you can't see" bits were crap. Cutscenes and movies were crap. Only good part was most of (but not all) the gameplay, which is obviously one of the most important aspects.

Aw see I loved how ridiculous it was. Also never play these games for the story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Just for the simple reason that Fallout 3 was listed here a few times, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I hated Fallout 3, and I just finished New Vegas. Much, much better game. Interesting story, a bunch of different outcomes for the ending, and I actually want to re-play it! Full of bugs, though.

If I hadn't it ordered before I played Fallout 3, I wouldn't ever have bought it. But it was a much more enjoyable experience for me this time around!

If you didn't like Devil May Cry 3 or Ninja Gaiden then the game just isn't for you but in that sub genre Bayonetta is way ahead of the curve.

Yep, probably as simples as this! Nonetheless, quite a divisive game- even regarding opinion of those who appear to like the genre. It's the main reason I didn't post earlier in the thread- potential to derail the thread.

@Mark Hamill, it was just a glib comment targeting Retrogamers 'argument' and his opinion of (of all games) Halo 3. Surely you understood that? Still, saying 'someone who doesn't like a game does not understand it' is not a valid argument, its actually an inappropriate manner for expressing a personal opinion.

i am tempted to put in crysis 2 pc version here soon...... 1 hour +++i still cant sort out logins for it.... need 3 different avvounts... wtf....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I'd go with

Timeshift

Some good ideas nad great potential but truly horrible execution. I finished it cause I'm a completionist but really should have walked away.

WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

I'm a sucker for Nostalgia and used to love some of the old Wrestling games in the arcade and on PS1 etc. This was pants though. The same poxy animations you had no control over occuring again and again and again in a single fight. Lack of control over your character and the fact that you were restricted to the face buttons left very little scope for doing different moves. Redeeming features was the videos you could watch of the classic matchups. They were class.

Limbo

I did not see the fuss over this game at all. It's a mediocre puzzle game at best. is very short and was horribly overpriced at 1200pts. I got it on sale and still felt ripped off by it.

Advertisement