Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your top 3 **** list. ( only counts if you played those games )

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Aw see I loved how ridiculous it was. Also never play these games for the story :)

Me either, the OTT aspect is the point, sure look at DMC3, thats not exactly a subtle game, launching yourself off the side of a building about a mile high, throwing your sword vertically and firing a bullet into the handle to make to plough enemies faster before being swallowed by a giant floating worm...thing. Broken Sword it aint :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Alone in the Dark, great interaction with the world, loved the inventory idea. Then meh... such a shame...
    Killzone 2, bad cover system, clumsy shooting, uninteresting game, Gears did everything but better.
    The second half of Crysis. Where did it all go wrong (
    The aliens, of course!
    )

• Registered Users Posts: 33,788 ✭✭✭✭Penn

krudler wrote: »
    Me either, the OTT aspect is the point, sure look at DMC3, thats not exactly a subtle game, launching yourself off the side of a building about a mile high, throwing your sword vertically and firing a bullet into the handle to make to plough enemies faster before being swallowed by a giant floating worm...thing. Broken Sword it aint :pac:

OTT is great in games like that, provided it's done well though. If I had to watch her outfit made out of her own hair (thereby making her near naked) turn into a monster and kill a boss one more time I would have screamed. Great idea. Piss poor implementation. And that was the problem with most of the game in general in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

mrm wrote: »
    @Mark Hamill, it was just a glib comment targeting Retrogamers 'argument' and his opinion of (of all games) Halo 3. Surely you understood that? Still, saying 'someone who doesn't like a game does not understand it' is not a valid argument, its actually an inappropriate manner for expressing a personal opinion.

Do you not think that an appropriate counter argument to, say, Roger Ebert saying that games can never be art is that he just doesn't understand them? I realise that the argument is wrong in a lot of places, but I dont think its wrong in the case of Bayonetta for some people, for the simple reason that I rarely hear these people say how they also didn't like Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden or even Vanquish for much of the same reasons they didn't like Bayonetta in the same sentence, despite the fact that the reasoning should be same (they all have similar gameplay, OTT characters, storylines and bosses).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Do you not think that an appropriate counter argument to, say, Roger Ebert saying that games can never be art is that he just doesn't understand them? I realise that the argument is wrong in a lot of places, but I dont think its wrong in the case of Bayonetta for some people, for the simple reason that I rarely hear these people say how they also didn't like Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden or even Vanquish for much of the same reasons they didn't like Bayonetta in the same sentence, despite the fact that the reasoning should be same (they all have similar gameplay, OTT characters, storylines and bosses).

I know someone who loves Gears of War but hated Vanquish, even though Vanquish is (flack alert!) a much better game, it basically takes every Gears does and does it better. Anyone with any interest in 3rd person shooters should play that game, Platinum are THE developers to watch at the moment. Anarchy Reigns could be amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Can't pick 3 at the minute but one (well two) that stand out more because of what they ruined than just the bad gameplay.

ToeJam and Earl 2 & 3. How dare you ruin one of my favourite games. I get the idea of sequels as you already have a successful game to build on so why fuking change it?! Side scrolling platform my @ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

Do you not think that an appropriate counter argument to, say, Roger Ebert saying that games can never be art is that he just doesn't understand them?QUOTE]

Nope. Ebert does not understand games as he has never, and will never, play them, so no need to put forward any argument there. I am stating that this 'argument' cannot be used on a gaming forum frequented by people who play games, especially on a 'personal opinion' thread.

Anyway lets agree to disagree. Its not fair to the OP to derail the thread*.

*especially for a game, I'm sure you'll agree, as sh1t as Bayonetta.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

mrm wrote: »
    Do you not think that an appropriate counter argument to, say, Roger Ebert saying that games can never be art is that he just doesn't understand them?QUOTE]

Nope. Ebert does not understand games as he has never, and will never, play them, so no need to put forward any argument there. I am stating that this 'argument' cannot be used on a gaming forum frequented by people who play games, especially on a 'personal opinion' thread.

Anyway lets agree to disagree. Its not fair to the OP to derail the thread*.

*especially for a game, I'm sure you'll agree, as sh1t as Bayonetta.:P

U see what you did there!!! ;)

Seriuosly lads, we had it so nice, no warrioring. Drop it. As it's going a bit of topic. We can discuss nomination, amd we did it perfectly, but let's be adult about it. Hear opinion, say opinion.

One of the rules was: only counts if you played it!!! I do hope people understand that flicking 5 min in to game does not meam you played it...

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

ok my top 3 would be

1: alone in the dark, crap story terrible controls but mostly just Boring !!

2: silent hill homecoming, crap graphics and set so dark you could barely see a thing

3:n3 ninety nine nights, wtf why did they even bother

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I can only think of 1 I ended up despising and that is Fallout 3. Enjoyed it the first playthrough, but then I went and played the originals. Can't stand Fallout 3 and I find New Vegas much better than 3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

King Kong (ps2) - Bought it on impulse because it was cheap and limited edition. Absolute rubbish I thought. Gave it away after 2 days.

Resident Evil 5 - Dont even get me started on that whole frachise now. They should just change the name and stop wrecking its early legacy.

EVERY Fifa on the Pc. They just dont bother trying which is fair enough considering 10 people probably buy it each year and the rest just download it illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Yakult wrote: »
    King Kong (ps2) - Bought it on impulse because it was cheap and limited edition. Absolute rubbish I thought. Gave it away after 2 days.

Dammit, I just bought that game, it was only €1.99 but now I know its garbage I'll never even play it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

pdbhp wrote: »
    Dammit, I just bought that game, it was only €1.99 but now I know its garbage I'll never even play it

It was actually a decent enough game from the little I've played of it... One of the better film to game adaptions out there. Give it a chance before you let one person's opinion put you off it for good!

tman wrote: »
    It was actually a decent enough game from the little I've played of it... One of the better film to game adaptions out there. Give it a chance before you let one person's opinion put you off it for good!

Thanks for that, not too bothered to be honest as I only bought it to add
    to my collection and I liked the cover as it had a T-Rex on it which is never a bad thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

pdbhp wrote: »

Ah for 1.99 you cant go wrong, I payed 35 for it so it did alot more damage haha

Yakult wrote: »
    Ah for 1.99 you cant go wrong, I payed 35 for it so it did alot more damage haha

Ouch that must have stung.

Advertisement