Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows up north?

Options
  • 21-03-2011 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

We are just going out to tender for a large extension. The existing house will need to be gutted so need new windows throughout. We would like cream timber windows with folding doors at back at the house. We are going to get prices for a number of suppliers down south but just wondering if there are savings to be made by getting windows up north given we won't be paying vat on them? Any recommendations?

Thanks

Edzers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

edzers wrote: »
    We are just going out to tender for a large extension. The existing house will need to be gutted so need new windows throughout. We would like cream timber windows with folding doors at back at the house. We are going to get prices for a number of suppliers down south but just wondering if there are savings to be made by getting windows up north given we won't be paying vat on them? Any recommendations?

Thanks

Edzers

You wont be paying vat on them?

How exactly???

I think you will.

UK vat rate went up recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

paddy147 wrote: »

How exactly???

I think you will.

By using a southern vat number you don't have to pay vat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

mfceiling wrote: »
    By using a southern vat number you don't have to pay vat.

Didnt know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

You can but anything in the north legally with out VAT if you're a business that is registered for VAT and intend to sell them on here and charge the appropiate Irish rate of VAT anything else is a no, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

paddy147 wrote: »

How exactly???

I think you will.

While not wanting to turn this into a thread on VAT, the above is one of the least understood aspects of buying goods in the North.

Yes you can use an Irish VAT no. provided you are buying the windows as part of your normal business in Ireland.

OK the Northern Co will supply you, but they also do a return to UK Revenue monthly, on goods exported without VAT, this report is shared with Irish Revenue who will wonder why you are buying windows, if you are selling them on and charging Irish VAT OK, but fitting in your own home, NO.

Short term saving, long term VAT inspection, penalty, interest, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

OK, I've just removed some posts which either breached the charter or was so close it made no difference.

We can discuss the rates of VAT either side of the border but not how to circumvent paying VAT, that is fraud and will not be accepted here.

The concept is relatively easy, if you are the homeowner buying a product for your own house you pay VAT, whether it is bought north or south.

If your builder buys a product for your build you are charged for that product plus VAT.

The builder looks after the paperwork but you, the homeowner, pays VAT regardless of where the products originate.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

martinn123 wrote: »
    OK the Northern Co will supply you, but they also do a return to UK Revenue monthly, on goods exported without VAT, this report is shared with Irish Revenue who will wonder why you are buying windows, if you are selling them on and charging Irish VAT OK, but fitting in your own home, NO.

Short term saving, long term VAT inspection, penalty, interest, etc

Your giving them alot of credit.. It's hard enough to make an indent into VAT fraud within the country not to mention getting details from UK, French, German, and the other 24 Eu countries VAT offices where this is allowed. It's a flawed system. If what your saying were true then the correct route would be to pay VAT wherever and claim it back here, then VAT revenue would sort it. Rather than have this extra work the VAT office's have made a typical lazy EU decision on this that allows this loophole.

Your giving them alot of credit.. It's hard enough to make an indent into VAT fraud within the country not to mention getting details from UK, French, German, and the other 24 Eu countries VAT offices where this is allowed. It's a flawed system. If what your saying were true then the correct route would be to pay VAT wherever and claim it back here, then VAT revenue would sort it. Rather than have this extra work the VAT office's have made a typical lazy EU decision on this that allows this loophole.
    It's not hard to understand the post I made above, but I will quote the relevant part of it again just for your benefit:
    We can discuss the rates of VAT either side of the border but not how to circumvent paying VAT, that is fraud and will not be accepted here.
    7 day ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭soc$

Thanks

Edzers

In the same boat - new windows required throughout and some extensive research done - were looking at Hayburn in ballymena but we wanted aluclad and they only do hardwood - at 21,500 the quote wasn't good enough to either go with hardwood or even go to the effort of buying up north -

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Thanks

Edzers

My window provider told me that we hadn't to pay VAT as we were a self builder and certain items are exempt from VAT in NI for self builders.

We bought the windows in Tyrone and he never looked for a VAT number or charged VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 leedsutd11

Thanks

Edzers
    You may not have seen it in the national papers but there is a great sale on timber windows in Rationel in Edenderry

• Registered Users Posts: 39 edzers

thanks for that - will check out rationel, just sent out elevations to a few companies so waiting to see what comes back.

Edzers

• Registered Users Posts: 39 edzers

Lemlin, who did you use for your windows? were you happy with them? were they very competitive?

Thanks

Edzers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Lemlin, who did you use for your windows? were you happy with them? were they very competitive?

Thanks

Edzers

Swish Windows in Cookstown. Very competitive. Got triple glazed for the price that Munster quoted me for double glazed.

Independent test results provided to prove the window was proper triple glazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rainson

Try ecconomy glass, mourne glass, both in north not far from newry.

I've moved some posts to a new thread on it's own, you can find it here, it saves me banning you all, as tempting as it is....:p

I would also like to remind people that this thread is about VAT not recommending window companies, so if you feel you must recommend something, I recommend you PM it....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

I've moved some posts to a new thread on it's own, you can find it here, it saves me banning you all, as tempting as it is....:p

I would also like to remind people that this thread is about VAT not recommending window companies, so if you feel you must recommend something, I recommend you PM it....;)

Is this right? about VAT:eek:

Advertisement