Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to get dresses taken out?

Options
  • 21-03-2011 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭

Hi there, I'm wondering what the cheapest/ best place in Cork is to get some basic modifications done to dresses? I have some that are too small, but should have enough extra material.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

You could try the Singer Sewing Centre on the corner of Washington St & Grand Parade. I've used them for getting suits re-hemmed and buttons tightened and the work was always done well. Never been charged more than €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mossyo

Hi,

I decided to reply to your post and to go to the trouble of putting something up on boards about the Singer Sewing Centre in Cork, because I've just been on the receiving end of some very poor work from them.

I went in their a fortnight ago, to get a suit, and a number of pants altered. On my initial visit, I spent more than an hour getting the fittings done, and they appeared to take considerable care in measuring the changes that need to be done, particularly with taking in the waist on a number of pants.

When I called in last Saturday to collect the altered garments, I was alarmed to see the lady working there taking them out of a carrier bag, all bunched and rolled up. This was particularly annoying in relation the my new suit which they were altering. The jeans and other pants wouldn't have bothered me too much, but now I'll have to get the new suit dry cleaned.

That was an ominous beginning. I got home and tried on the suit to see how it fitted. The pants felt wrong when I tried them on, and when I looked at the back in the mirror, the back just below the waist was all bunched up. I showed my sister, who said it was a very poor job. I then tried the jeans that they altered and was disappointed to see they hadn't even really altered the waist to bring it in but just folded it over and sewn it together. Again when I tried on the few pairs of jeans, the backside area all bunches up.

I could've gone back but the advice I got from a couple of people is that I'd be better off just going to a different tailor to get the work done properly. I write this post, to warn others to think carefully before taking garments there to get them altered.

I'd hoped given that it's a high street location and a known brand name that it would be reputable and high quality. Unrfortunately, I was sorely disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ascorcaigh

Hi Mossyo, have to disagree with you on this. I have been to Singers many times to get garments altered and I have to say the work has been top class and very competitive. I usually go on a Saturday as I'm working weekdays and there is a lovely lady there with long hair (can't remember the name) but she has always done a very good job for me. Maybe you should try again on a Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mossyo

Hi Ascorcaigh, thanks for replying. That may be the case, but the work they did for me was shocking. I posted that first thread after collecting my poorly altered garments. Anyway, the suit that I had asked them to alter for me was for a wedding. Morning of the wedding, I try on the suit jacket, and get prickled when I slide my arms in the sleeve. I decided to investigate further and turned the sleeves inside out. I found to my horror that there were 6 pins still in either arm! I kid you not, and then when I removed the pins the lining of the arms hadn't even been sewn. I think now I will go in there next Sat to say this to them, as I think this is truly unacceptable.

Advertisement