Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

double trouble

Options
  • 21-03-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

lads the last few times ive been out shooting clays i have had the two shots go at once, this has has happened once before but i put it down to me being too hard on the trigger. this time it has happened maybe five times in a row one day and at least three times the last day.

is this down to me being too hard on the trigger or is this an indication that something is a miss. asked the lad in courtlough but he seemed uninterested and said that its nothing really that could be fixed.

its an o/u yildiz and its quite light. its in very good condition and i look after it. only have it two seasons.

also before lads jump in saying yildiz are ****e and relay all the 'you should chuck it in the bin' stories im just after the facts. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

hey i saw this happen to another lad about three weeks ago with another yildiz , a crowd gathered around it looking but got no answers as to why

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Cannot help with your particular gun. But.
    Check the barrel selector mechanism position.
    If the barrel selector is perfectly between the upper and lower position it is possible for both barrels to fire. The barrel selector/safety/sear release mechanism does not handle dirt very well, probably needs a cleaning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You could be pulling the trigger too hard. The Yildix (if i'm not mistaken) do not have the same system as some shotguns in that they do not need the inertia of the first shot to engage the second barrel.

I shot with a lad a few months ago who had a Yildiz. He got misfires (cartridge issue) on the first barrel, but the second fired irrespective. My Beretta will not fire the second barrel unless the first is fired.

Based on that i would imagine your problem lies in either excesive pulling of the trigger or a minor fault that sees both hammers (tumblers) being released at the same time hence the dual firing.

Get some snap caps. Remove the rear stock. This will expose the inner mechanism. Load the snap caps and pull the trigger. See if both hammers are firing together. Try this a few times gradually increasing or decreasing the pressure you are putting on the trigger. If they do not fire together with a slight pull of the trigger then its you. If they continue to fire irrespective of the pressure you are pulling the trigger with then its the gun.

Its not a major fault if it is the trigger. A gunsmith should be able to remedy it simply enough.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

gunsmith
    as quick as ya can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

This used to happen on baikals years ago, its scary when it happens, off to the gunsmith. Wouldn't be too concerned at what that lad in courtlough told ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

dicky82 wrote: »
    ...............is this down to me being too hard on the trigger or is this an indication that something is a miss. ...........its in very good condition and i look after it. only have it two seasons............

IMO it has nothing to you being 'too hard on the trigger' - you are correct that it is an indication that something is amiss. Newness or looking after it does not influence the machined tolerances or hardness of the metal. You were firing at clays, which meant that the gun probably heated up, which affected the tolerances and the sears probably are 'out.' No point in you removing anything, you need to bring the gun to a trained gunsmith and have it properly checked. Safety first.
    Rs
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭kemen

id be movin her on fairly lively for something more reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

thanks for all the replies.
    i don't think its to do with the gun heating up because it happened on the first clay. i will double check that the selector is in one position and not coaxing on the both positions. i did intend on taking it to a gunsmith but i like to have a little idea of what to expect to be told before going in.
    i read somewhere on here before that someone had a yildiz and they had to replace the firing pins twice on it. . .

anyway i'll up date the thread when i know more. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

the same happened to a friend who bought a lanber. the previous owner had used to much oil and it had gunged up inside it. a good clean and wiped dry sorted it

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

Dupont wrote: »
    the same happened to a friend who bought a lanber. the previous owner had used to much oil and it had gunged up inside it. a good clean and wiped dry sorted it

do you know what reason too much oil was causing it to double discharge? was the oil getting into the internal workings of the gun or was it something else?

im not too liberal with the gun oil but it could be a possability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

dicky82 wrote: »
    do you know what reason too much oil was causing it to double discharge? was the oil getting into the internal workings of the gun or was it something else?

im not too liberal with the gun oil but it could be a possability.

i think the oil had soaked into the internals of the gun and then a lot of dirt and **** had stuck to it and had gunged it up and it was firing double

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭marksman9999

This is a common fault with YILDIZ shotguns, not that common it doesnt happen to them all, but it can be easily retified by a good gunsmith. generally yildiz are very reliable and the importer will stand over the gun if its still in warranty.

Advertisement