Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ball stuck in outside drain

• 21-03-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

The childs ball (heavy plastic ball about 5 inches in diameter with glitterwater inside) went down the drain when I cleaned the back garden.

Has anybody suggestions how to get it out and where it is stuck ?

Put the garden hose in and it gets stuck after about 6-7 feet. Wonder is this the ball or some bend in the piping ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Get sewer rods and go from the nearest aj back up to the drain and see if you can get it back out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

You could try a length of hose stuck into a vacuum cleaner. You may get enough of a "grip" on the ball to get it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Ironbar

Get sewer rods and go from the nearest aj back up to the drain and see if you can get it back out....

Sorry, I dont know what an "aj" is ? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Aj = access junction I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This sounds like the best option to me.

If your meeting heavy resistance using the rods from behind i would stick it with a hot poker however this would be my last resort as it may go down further.

If your buying rods buy the ones that that lock together. There is a crazy amount of threads on this forum about lost sewer rods.

• Advertisement

Yeah, access junction. The next manhole that you can see on the sewer line. I'd start rodding from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Ironbar

Thanks very much for the suggestions.

I tried to go with sewer rods from the lid but it didnt work.

I then tried to get in from the manhole next door but nothing.

In the end i called Drain Doctor. They put a camera down. The rubber seal from the connection between the pipe segments was out and blocking the pipe.

He unblocked it with the pressure hose for the ball to come loose and then used camera and rod to catch the rubber and pulled it out.

Wasn't quite cheap (185 Euro) but at least I won't have this problem again.

BTW: When I got home from work the drains were already flooded to the top of the lid, so I needed to get it fixed quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

kdouglas wrote: »
    Aj = access junction I think

Armstrong Junction

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/2006/0701/image/build_feat_010706.pdf

Carlow52 wrote: »

Tomatoes - tomatoes.......:D

Advertisement