Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning a rifle barrel

Options
  • 21-03-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi all

Just thought i would throw this one out. some one might give me some pointers.

What would you think would be the best cleaning method and cleaning
    solvents for a .308 rifle. how would you start and finish.The barrel is shot in
    and has 250 rounds gone through it from the last clean.

Thanks D.D

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

My routine would consist of the following:
    • M-Pro7 for regular barrel cleaning. (Butch's Bore shine now and then for heavy cleaning.)
    • Run a soaked patch through the barrel.
    • Leave to sit for 4 minutes.
    • Run another wet patch with M-Pro7 through the barrel to moisten the fouling.
    • Run a nylon brush up and downt he barrel about a dozen times.
    • Run another M-Pro7 patch down the barrel to remove fouling while treating it again.
    • Leave to sit for a mnute or two.
    • At this stage have about 25 or so oiled patches at the ready.
    • Start running them down the barrel one after the other until they run clean.
    • If they come clean before the 25 great. If not use more.
    • When the run clean and wet, then start using the dry patches.
    • Run as many as is needed until there is no more oil on the patches coming out.
    • Then use the mop and run up and down the barrel again about a dozen times.
    • On the last run leave the mop half protruded from the muzzle. Wipe around the muzzle and clean any fouling on the crown. The mop will prevent anything running back down into the barrel.
    • Remove the bore guide and use a tooth brush, patches and bore brush to clean out the chamber, breach, etc.
    • Wipe down the rod, brushes, jag, and bore guide.
    • If the rifle is beng stored away for a few weeks i roll up a soft cloth and place it into the chamber up against the breach and store barrel up.
    • On the off chance that i have somehow missed some residual il this will collect it.
    Most will have there own method. Its as personal as ammo choice, rifle choice, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Hi,
    The topic was covered quite well here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056145670

Aside from that, 250 rounds was hardly a day's shooting, was it?

I prefer, and would suggest that you do the same, to give at least a quick clean before the rifle is put away.

Quick clean
    1) dry swab
    2) bronze brush or plastic-your choice, not trying to start a war here
    3) swab with solvent
    4) dry swab
    4) lube swab

Takes less than 3 minutes...

x 10 if it got wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

250 rounds is a lot to leave between cleaning

As FISMA said it would be advisable to give the bore at least a quick clean after use. And a good clean after 30-40 rounds.

Here is no need to go to town on it every time but every now and then a compleat clean is a good idea. It will stand to you in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭devil dog

Hi lads

Thanks for the posts,have a good idea of whats needed now.
    Thanks again.

From D.D

Advertisement