Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Eireann Policy on Bicycles

• 21-03-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi guys, I'm doing a race up in Donegal and I'm wondering does anyone have any info about getting bikes onto bus eireann buses? The website was vague and unhelpful

Comments

Used to be that it depends on whether there's space. So first come first served.

If it's up near Inishowen I used McGinley coaches before and they were great, locked the bikes in a compartment right at the very back to themselves so it wasn't opened and closed at every stop. Didn't pay extra for the bikes either, was around €17 one way. Seem to recall it was cheaper than BÉ but best to check that out.

http://www.johnmcginley.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I've taken bike up in a bag twice to Letterkenny with Bus Eireann. I was lucky on the way up. I got on at the airport and there was just enough room to get it on. I'd echo the previous post about using McGinley's. Their Drivers tend to be a bit more helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone know what Citylinks policy is up and down to Galway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think Bus Éireann charge €12 single. Covered folded bikes are considered part of your luggage.

Best to travel off peak.

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=208#PASSENGER_LUGGAGE_
    PASSENGER LUGGAGE/BICYCLES

Each passenger may carry one medium-sized suitcase or equivalent (maximum dimensions 80cms x 70 cms x 20 cms and maximum weight 15 Kgs) on a bus free of charge, which must be placed in the luggage compartment of the vehicle. In addition, each passenger may carry one small item of hand luggage free of charge inside the passenger saloon of the vehicle. Hand luggage carried inside the passenger saloon must not be placed where it could obstruct the gangway or any passenger entrance or emergency exit, but must be placed under a seat or in an overhead rack as appropriate. Any additional luggage may only be carried if, in the opinion of Bus Éireann, there is sufficient accommodation available. Such additional luggage, if carried at the discretion of Bus Éireann, must be placed in the luggage compartment of the vehicle and may be subject to an additional charge as determined by Bus Éireann from time to time.

Folding childrens’ pushchairs will be carried free, subject to accommodation being available and provided they are folded before placing in the luggage compartment. Folding bicycles which are packed and wrapped in a suitable carrier bag/protective covering will be treated as passengers’ accompanied luggage and carried free of charge in the luggage storage area. Folding bicycles which are NOT packed or wrapped as described above will be charged at the full cycle rate.

Bicycles, prams and non-folding childrens’ pushchairs or buggies will be carried only if sufficient accommodation is available; they must be placed in the luggage compartment or other designated area of the vehicle and are subject to a charge as determined by Bus Éireann from time to time.

On vehicles accessible to mobility impaired persons who are wheelchair users, a wheelchair must be parked in the designated area and in such a manner as the driver may direct. A wheelchair user has priority for use of this designated area at all times. One occupied childrens’ buggy or pushchair may be parked in this designated area when it is not occupied by a wheelchair.

Where it is necessary to transfer to another vehicle or vehicles before completion of journey, the availability of sufficient accommodation for additional items of luggage or for bicycles, prams or pushchairs, cannot be guaranteed.

All luggage must be securely packed, fastened and locked before being placed in or taken on vehicles. All luggage must also be clearly labelled with the name, address and destination of the accompanying passenger. Passengers are required to place a string label on items of luggage placed in the luggage compartment of a vehicle and will be required to produce evidence of identity to a Bus Éireann driver or other authorised official on request. All items of passengers' luggage as described in the foregoing are carried by Bus Éireann at owner's risk, irrespective of whether or not they have been handed to a Bus Éireann employee or agent and without regard to the part of the vehicle in which they are carried or by whom they have been so placed in such vehicle. Bus Éireann, its employees, agents, and/or sub-contractors shall not be liable for loss of and/or damage to passengers' luggage or any passengers' personal possessions, unless such loss or damage is proven to have been caused by the negligence, breach of duty or breach of statutory duty of Bus Éireann, its employees, agents or sub-contractors.

In the event of Bus Éireann being proven liable for loss or damage under this clause the liability of Bus Éireann shall be limited to a maximum of €127 in respect of each claim, and also to a maximum of €50.80 for any one item contained within the luggage lost or damaged.

Personal effects or items of luggage of a relatively expensive nature should not be packed in luggage placed in the luggage compartment, but should be kept in a passenger's hand luggage or on the person of that passenger. Bus Éireann will not be liable for any loss of or damage to such articles if placed in the luggage compartment.

Bus Éireann will not be liable for financial loss involving cash, currency, cheques, credit/cash/charge cards, or for loss of travel or identity documents of any kind. Bus Éireann will not accept any claim for loss of or damage to property from a third party or made by a passenger on behalf of a third party, irrespective of whether a passenger's luggage contains items belonging to any such third party.

In the event that a passenger suffers any loss of or damage to luggage, the passenger must report such loss in full to the appropriate Garda Síochána Station so that any subsequent claim can be fully investigated. Bus Éireann will not consider any claim for loss unless the Garda Síochána have been notified and a report filed by them in respect of such a claim.

Any claim in respect of loss of or damage to property must be made to Bus Éireann within 24 hours of the journey on which the loss or damage is alleged to have occurred. A full written report detailing such loss or damage must be submitted within five days of that date to the relevant office in Bus Éireann which deals with such matters as notified from time to time.

The foregoing Conditions of Carriage of Passengers Luggage are applicable on Bus Éireann services within Ireland. Carriage of passengers' luggage on services operated jointly with Ulsterbus Ltd. is in addition subject to the Conditions of Carriage of Ulsterbus Ltd.

Separate conditions apply to the carriage of passengers' luggage on Bus Éireann services to Britain and Europe. These conditions are contained in the relevant publications detailing such international services.

Separate conditions also apply to the carriage of unaccompanied freight, parcels and letters on Bus Éireann services. These conditions are contained in the relevant publications detailing such parcels services.

Customers are not allowed to take onto a Bus Éireann bus, or any bus operated for or on behalf of Bus Éireann, any hot food or hot drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 DuncanDoughnut

Thanks lads, yea McGinley's might be the best so, because I'm going to Dungloe, and they stop off in Annagry which isn't too far, a short taxi anyway. Only worry is will they be able to accomodate 5 bikes? I'll have to ring them up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How about getting a train to either Sligo or Derry and cycling? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 DuncanDoughnut

I take it you've never been to Dungloe mate? haha Dungloe's right on the west coast, far far far far away from either Derry or Sligo! We're doing a triathlon the next day so we don't wanna be knackered the next morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭eoin88

I'm heading down to Cork with my bike on Monday, the Aircoach looks like a good option as they don't mention any charge for carrying a bike. Anyone know for sure if this is the case?

Advertisement