Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SWAROVSKI - NO NO NO

Options
  • 21-03-2011 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I've been an admirer of Swarovski for some time and just love their jewellry. I was given a beautiful pair of earrings which I rarely wore. When I went to wear them at Christmas, I found that some of the stones on both had dis-coloured - they were now a peridot green, and one stone had fallen out. When I next looked at them, a few weeks later, one had reverted to the original colour, while the other earring was useless, it was so dis-coloured. I brought them into a local store who sold Swarovski, and they sent the offending earring back. Swarovski replaced the earring at a cost of E25 !!!! I certainly didn't expect to be charged except perhaps for postage or the like, but I did expect that the company would replace the stones for free. And NO, I didn't spray perfume on them. In future, however beautiful the piece is, or however much I fall in love with it, I'll not be tempted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Y-U-POST-THIS-IN-ANIME-MANGA.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Y-U-NO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

sux2be the first forum on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ClickityClick

Sorry about that. Can you re-direct it to the appropriate place - please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Thread moved to Consumer Issues.

Not 100% certain if this is the correct forum for this thread but hopefully the mods here might know better if it isn't :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

How long were they sitting around before you decided to wear them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

You were given them (as a present I presume), so you don't have any consumer rights at all.
    The only thing you could do, is get the receipt of the person who bought them for you and go back to the shop they bought them in and complain there. Any other shop which sells the jewelry, or Swarovski don't have to offer you any of the 3 Rs, as you (or the person who bought the earrings) don't have any contract with them.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You dont say how old the earrings are, and you brought them to a store that do swarovski, but was it the store that sold them? If not then they are entitled to recoup any costs they entail in fixing this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ClickityClick

thanks for all the feed-back. interesting about not having any rights when the item was a gift!! the items were bought on board a cruise ship, and i would love to be able to return them to the original store!! i have them for about two years, but haven't worn them very often, in fact, not more than five times.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

thanks for all the feed-back. interesting about not having any rights when the item was a gift!!

If you have proof of purchase, then you claim your consumer rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If they are only cut glass, how did they discolour, oxidation from the setting?

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    If you have proof of purchase, then you claim your consumer rights.

The shop is within his rights to refuse your customer rights, if he goes by the letter of the law and knows that you haven't bought it, but got it as a present from someone else, as you don't have a contract with them.
    In reality however you are most likely right, that he won't be refused in these circumstances.

thanks for all the feed-back. interesting about not having any rights when the item was a gift!! the items were bought on board a cruise ship, and i would love to be able to return them to the original store!! i have them for about two years, but haven't worn them very often, in fact, not more than five times.

This makes it even more complicated, as Irish consumer laws most likely don't apply. It is also most likely that Swarovski won't show any goodwill, as you most likely bought it from a different subsidy in a different country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

My girlfriend used to love Swarovski and i bought her a pair of ear rings and necklace.

After about 2 weeks they sparkle went from the stones and after about 2 weeks they looked like plastic.

When we brought them back the manager told us that the stone cannot be exposed to water,hairspray,perfume,deodorant,shampoo,conditioner and sunlight and about a billion other things.

The manager replaced the ear rings in the Grafton street store but with all the rules on how to wear them my girlfriend can only wear them on the first sunday of a new moon in a dark room filled with cotton wool.

Dont buy Swarovski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

I make jewellery using swarovski, I have some crystals that are pretty badly mistreated on my part.... bad storage! But I have never seen too much discolouration on them at all, the only thing I have seen on them is scratching on the AB coating, which is common if you move them a lot and they come in contact with the other beads, I'd say the problem is more with the findings (the earings or ring parts) they are probably plated and going tarnished.... might be making your crystal look dull?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

bungler wrote: »
    My girlfriend used to love Swarovski and i bought her a pair of ear rings and necklace.

After about 2 weeks they sparkle went from the stones and after about 2 weeks they looked like plastic.

When we brought them back the manager told us that the stone cannot be exposed to water,hairspray,perfume,deodorant,shampoo,conditioner and sunlight and about a billion other things.

The manager replaced the ear rings in the Grafton street store but with all the rules on how to wear them my girlfriend can only wear them on the first sunday of a new moon in a dark room filled with cotton wool.

Dont buy Swarovski

Its Glass ...

I think people are expecting Cut Glass to be as resiliant as Cubic Zirconia or Diamond.

Glass is Glass.

This is the same as people complaining about Rhodium plating on White Gold, your mileage will vary depending on what you expose it too.

Even Diamond loses its sparkle due to dust,dirt,deposits, just clean it.

You could invest in a ultrasonic cleaner ... makes a huge difference.

Advertisement