Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick a game for a current gen remake.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Actraiser, loved that game on the SNES.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Tomb Raider 2. I liked that game. I was disappointed when they only remade the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

A remake of the 1989 strider arcade game. Will almost certainly never happen, but i'd be all over that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Streets of Rage. Still 2D mind, but in the same style as SFIV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Remake of Hitman series

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Obviously showing my age here but 'Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic' had an amazing story line and great atmosphere (despite the 1989 graphics).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinel_Worlds_I:_Future_Magic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Vice City and San Andreas merged into one game..............still set in the 80's :pac:

Taito Cup Finals - Arcade game from the 90's that took the piss out of football. You could punch, headbutt, pull a player's jocks down to trip him up, injure the referee, and have power-ups like hyper goal shots which resulted in the goalkeeper flying through the net as he tried stopping your ball :D Wasn't a great football game but was funny nonetheless.

Blood 1 - This desperately needs to be brought back (sequel wasn't great) Monolith never realised the source so nobody has been able to update it's graphics / textures like Doom, Duke, etc. Some crowd have been building the game from the ground up but it's been a real slow process.

Smash TV / Total Carnage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Desert and Jungle Strike, also about time a new Sim city was made. Blade runner was also brilliant.

Desert and Jungle Strike, also about time a new Sim city was made. Blade runner was also brilliant.

christ yes, a remake with HD backgrounds would be amazing, the pc one looked great at the time but an update would be class.

krudler wrote: »
    christ yes, a remake with HD backgrounds would be amazing, the pc one looked great at the time but an update would be class.

Would you still have it point and click or more interactive? I kind of like point and click but they were very much of their time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Timesplitters future perfect.
    Never mind soap mctavish, cortez would kick his ass

Would you still have it point and click or more interactive? I kind of like point and click but they were very much of their time.

I'd leave it p&c tbh, its nice to have a slower paced game, or maybe Heavy Rain style controls with without so much of the movement based stuff, just the ability to walk around. Am I the only one who loved just standing on the balcony in the rain listening to the Vangelis score? brilliant atmosphere in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Would love to see a lot of these games remade, but my vote has to go to the Strike series (Desert, Jungle etc). Those games were awesome and had a survival element thats bloody missing from most current gen action games, no more hunting for fuel as your copter beeps away "Fuel Low".

Just looking at the back catalogue EA could plunder is crazy: Strike series, Syndicate, Road Rash, Mutant League Football, Freedom Fighters (not very old but damn good).

krudler wrote: »
    I'd leave it p&c tbh, its nice to have a slower paced game, or maybe Heavy Rain style controls with without so much of the movement based stuff, just the ability to walk around. Am I the only one who loved just standing on the balcony in the rain listening to the Vangelis score? brilliant atmosphere in that game.

No your not :D hated that guy with the noodles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

I initially thought Twisted metal 2-world tour,I hope the new 1 is similiar,It better have Calypso he was a class villain.

Is FF7 not in the works already?AlienStorm would be cool.Some platformers I liked have been done but don't seem great,Altered beast and Golden axe for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I loved Road Rash! I would love to play Resident Evil 2 and Parasite Eve again.

But the two I'd bring back would be:
    Faxandu - quite possibly just for the wonderful 8-bit music. They don't make them like they used to. Bet it's stuck in your head now :D

ROTT - Rise of the Triad. I loved this game. So addictive.
    I know it wasn't a great game, but I liked it.

Would love to play those old school games without graphics. The story kind: "You are in a woods.......................to go left press 1, to go straight ahead into the creepy house press 2....." - anyone know of any still knocking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

humanji wrote: »
    In a similar vein, Rainbow Six deserves a good remake. I thought the Vegas games were fairly terrible. I loved plotting out your strategy at the start of the game and seeing it fall into place.

On that note - the old Sierra top down tactical SWAT games were great. Chuck in a throw phone and negotiate or risk the bastard spotting the sniper on the opposite roof?

Cracking stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

as already been mentioned Road rash and twisted metal, great games very enjoyable.

Would love to see a new broken sword except not in 3d like the last one they made(ruined it) but a return to the cartoon animation days...they were great games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

X Wing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

would love a GTA San Andreas set in the mid-late 90s

other than that Streets of Rage as others have said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

In terms of AAA remakes:

Oni: Great game that has aged horribly.
    Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time: New HD releases don't count.
    Deus Ex: Scene for scene remake please, don't ****ing change a thing.
    Blood: With Duke Nukem Forever about it (from what I've seen at least) bring back some old FPS action, I'd love to see a remake of this.
    Heretic II: Really loved this vault'em up from back in the late 90s.
    Theme Park: None of that World ****e, just an awesome remake of the priginal please.
    Populous III: Maybe not the best Populous but I loved it.

As for XBLA games:
    Ghosts 'n Goblins: Why this hasn't been commissioned by Capcom is ****ing beyond me.
    Zombies: One of my fave games from the 16bit generation.

The more I think about it, the more I can come up with...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

How about Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri?

Though I think a sequel is what I'd like more so than a remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

gizmo wrote: »
    Zombies: One of my fave games from the 16bit generation.

This.

Sadly most devs go "Derp....2D zombie game on XBLA/PSN....better make it a twin-stick shooter...derp" nowadays :(

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    This.

Sadly most devs go "Derp....2D zombie game on XBLA/PSN....better make it a twin-stick shooter...derp" nowadays :(
    You know what? I wouldn't actually mind if they made it into a twin stick shooter as long as there was a similar delay firing like in the original game. Of course, they could offer the choice but this is LucasArts we're talking about at the end of the day. The only decent thing they've done in the last 10 years is Force Unleashed. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

bradlente wrote: »
    I initially thought Twisted metal 2-world tour,I hope the new 1 is similiar,It better have Calypso he was a class villain.

Is FF7 not in the works already?AlienStorm would be cool.Some platformers I liked have been done but don't seem great,Altered beast and Golden axe for example.
    *bangs head off desk*

No FF7 is not in the works. It never will be unless square enix get into a dire financial situation and need to make alot of money fast, you can bet FF7 will be released and will probably be the best selling rpg ever.

Oh, ****ing Dungeon Keeper!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Oh X-Wing remake would be mental!

The original Ground Control, always enjoyed that but personally I'd have to vote for

Myth:The Fallen Lords

or

Pathways into Darkness.

Bungie had games before Halo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Counter Strike Source on PS3 and I am one happy chap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Some great choices already, +1 for Mechwarrior, Syndicate, Carrier Command :)

I'd love to see Elite redone (not the poor Frontier sequel though) - the amount of days/weeks/months/years? I spent playing that game on a green monitor, loading from tape on an Amstrad CPC 464 :D

I still remember the time I got an undocumented Cloaking Device out of nowhere after shooting down a strangely vanishing Asp... much frantic pressing of keys ensued as I tried to figure out how to turn it on before getting blown away by his mates! (it was Y by the way and it took me about 8 tries! :p)

Fantastic game though!

I remember Nuclear War being fun on the Amiga too.. oh and there was an Apache helicopter game that I spent a lot of time with as well as F-19 and F-22 ADF/Total Air War - ahh memories!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Aladdin is one game I'd love see get a high-def polish. Sprites are still gorgeous and full of character, high-def would be even better.

I'd love to see them clean up Golden Axe a bit too. It feels a bit rigid in its old age. Obviously that's half the appeal, but a slick, contemporary remake that still stays true to the original spirit and difficulty would be great. Imagine hitting those hat wearing rat bastards for potions in high-def!

They need to remake DinoRex, or at least give it a current gen sequel. It's the best fighter ever made, but unfortunately Super Street Fighter IV has taken over the fighting game scene just because it looks prettier even if the gameplay is far less balanced and much shallower than the great DR. We need surround sound screeching and high-def dinosaurs stat! Someone needs to release a dedicated tournament edition DinoRex fight stick too.

Advertisement