Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for Oasis fans....

Options
  • 21-03-2011 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

What is the Strum pattern for Don't look back in anger?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Any ideas anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Any ideas anyone?

DDD DU DDD DU DDD DU repeat. play the third down stroke harder, accent it, only play the top one or two strings on the second down stroke. The rhythm is sort of 1 and 2 and a 1 and 2 and a 1 and 2 and a, in 2/4 time.

He mixes it up a little in parts but that's the basic gist of the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Hi Strobe,
    Just to tidy a few bits up for the opening cords of C F C F is the strum DDD DU for each string. Does this strum continue for the rest of the song of is it suppose to be a different strum??

Noseymike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Has anybody ever tasted Oasis soup before? It's pretty good... you get a roll with it...

Hi Strobe,
    Just to tidy a few bits up for the opening cords of C F C F is the strum DDD DU for each string. Does this strum continue for the rest of the song of is it suppose to be a different strum??

Noseymike

Sorry man. The intro, before the lyrics kick in, is just D D, D D, D D, D D, etc, just down strokes, but play a down stroke and then only play the root note then another down stroke and another root note and another down stroke and another root note.....if that makes sense. So for the first C chord, strum the whole chord then only play the lowest C (the fifth or 'A' string), then do the same with the F, then the same with the C again. {The intro is actually played on a piano, but that's how to play it on guitar [at least it's how I play it]}.

Then switch to the pattern I said in the first post for the verse. (DDD DU)

The only switches is when you play the Am and G like after "....better place to play" or "slowly fade away" then you play them quickly DUDU, DUDU and break back into the main rhythm. As well, just before the chorus on the "gonna burn my heart out" bit a couple of the chords go DUD! DUD! DUD! DUD!, DUD! DUD! DUD! DUD! accenting the second down stroke.

I hope that makes sense, I'm brutal at trying to put this stuff into words, I haven't played it in a good while and I don't have a guitar to hand, so if it doesn't sound right let us know and I will post again with a guitar with me.

But if I could give you a bit of advice man it would be not to worry too much about having songs sound exactly the same as the original. I know a lot of people here will probably disagree with me on this, but as long as you have the basic vibe of the song going on there is nothing wrong with putting your own slant on it; whether it is deliberate or just because you don't know exactly how it goes.

• Advertisement

Has anybody ever tasted Oasis soup before? It's pretty good... you get a roll with it...

:D

Advertisement