Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC door lock stuck

Options
  • 22-03-2011 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My 4 month old PVC door is stuck semi-locked. The bottom bolt that extends into the frame has dropped down and wont retract. I can only open the door a tad at the top and the bottom remains locked. I bought it from the supplier and my glazier fitted it correctly

I've asked the company about it and they are willing to send up a replacement part, but its up to me to pay a glazier to take off the door and fix the lock.

I would have thought they should come over and fix it themselves seeing as its their locking mechanism thats faulty.

Advice please?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hi,

My 4 month old PVC door is stuck semi-locked. The bottom bolt that extends into the frame has dropped down and wont retract. I can only open the door a tad at the top and the bottom remains locked. I bought it from the supplier and my glazier fitted it correctly

I've asked the company about it and they are willing to send up a replacement part, but its up to me to pay a glazier to take off the door and fix the lock.

I would have thought they should come over and fix it themselves seeing as its their locking mechanism thats faulty.

Advice please?
    Thanks!

Have you tried pusing it into the frame while turning the handle ? How old is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

I know its not what you want to hear but I don't see why they would fix it for you, they could ask you to return the whole door to them to fix, so sending you out the part seems a fare option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

had this problem before , close the door fully ,pull handle up , lock it , unclock it , pull handle fully down before open , make sure its unlocked properly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Have you tried pusing it into the frame while turning the handle ? How old is it ?

4 months. Yes. Ive tried the lot

I know its not what you want to hear but I don't see why they would fix it for you, they could ask you to return the whole door to them to fix, so sending you out the part seems a fare option.

I dont agree. Returning a fitted door wouldn't seem even remotely like a sensible option.

• Advertisement

antocann wrote: »
    had this problem before , close the door fully ,pull handle up , lock it , unclock it , pull handle fully down before open , make sure its unlocked properly

No luck I'm afraid. Even though the handle goes up the key wont turn. Perhaps its not going up high enough.

Update:
    The sending out someone from the manufacturer to have a look. They claim that its probably a manufacturer issue.

Saying that though it seems like Irish consumer rights say that if something isnt
    1. Fit for purpose
    2. Reasonably lasting
    It breaches my rights and its up to the supplier not the manufacturer to remedy the situation.

Still, things are progressing and are civilized so lets see...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Update:
    The sending out someone from the manufacturer to have a look. They claim that its probably a manufacturer issue.

Saying that though it seems like Irish consumer rights say that if something isnt
    1. Fit for purpose
    2. Reasonably lasting
    It breaches my rights and its up to the supplier not the manufacturer to remedy the situation.

Still, things are progressing and are civilized so lets see...

Actually it gets a bit more complicated when you purchase the good from one entity and get someone else to install it.

The Supplier is you point of purchase, however the Supplier is under no obligation to remove the door to remove the lock as they did not provide this service.

Most places wouldn't touch anything they haven't installed, because if they damage the other component then they are liable for those parts aswell.

Actually it gets a bit more complicated when you purchase the good from one entity and get someone else to install it.

The Supplier is you point of purchase, however the Supplier is under no obligation to remove the door to remove the lock as they did not provide this service.

Most places wouldn't touch anything they haven't installed, because if they damage the other component then they are liable for those parts aswell.

I see what your saying allright. I've been trying to impress on them that a ratchet mechanism internal to the door has to be their fault and not the fault of a fitter. One of their staff even suggested that was the problem, something along the lines of "Ah yeah, I know this can happen to these doors"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Hi,

Advice please?
    Thanks!

Have you sprayed all the bolts and mechanisms with something like wd40? My door was acting up like yours and all it needed was a spray of lubricant

• Advertisement

Final update.

Thanks for all the replies

A bloke from the lock supplier came out and had a look. He said that the my door supplier had fitted the lock into the doors incorrectly. He fixed it there and then. Took him a bit of time too. For free!

So all in all, a civilized result.

Advertisement