Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can be done to make Castlebar a better town?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 moover

Problem is Solved as we Hear a New Super Venue is to be opened in Temple Bar Castlebar, with Seven Theme Bars, to cater for all younger and older, this will also have a Large Night Club and the whole venues will be in one indoor Complex, so there will be no need to go out in the Rain when you decide to change Pub, and I am Told it will leave Westport out in the Cold Literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

moover wrote: »
    Problem is Solved as we Hear a New Super Venue is to be opened in Temple Bar Castlebar, with Seven Theme Bars, to cater for all younger and older, this will also have a Large Night Club and the whole venues will be in one indoor Complex, so there will be no need to go out in the Rain when you decide to change Pub, and I am Told it will leave Westport out in the Cold Literally.

Got anything to back this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

wow that sounds great! now all we need is for someone to open a nice restaurant and Castlebar would be a great spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 moover

detoxkid wrote: »
    wow that sounds great! now all we need is for someone to open a nice restaurant and Castlebar would be a great spot.

Sorry about that. I omitted to inform you that there is an Italian restaurant going into this premisis also.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mayfire

That will be fun when the planning application comes before the Town Council.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

YES

If you have backup to the statement then it might be an idea telling people what it is, other wise don't be posting up pointless posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

That's a load of rubbish. No such thing happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Are you sure???

Yes. Are you?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Are you sure???

Moover, cut out the post count clicking or I will "Moooove" you rapid off this forum.

Either post the detail or drop the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Would there even be space for a venue of this size?Also what developer would have the sort of cash or be able to raise the sort of cash needed?Sounds like b*llocks to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Temple Bar Castlebar? Never heard of the place. I call shenanigans!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Maybe they were reading this -
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tolet/1143639
    :rolleyes:
    Sounds like pie in the sky all right. Id say the premises they are referring to is what was knows as the "olde town mall", about 2 doors up from Coxs. Would be great if it did happen but not in the next 10 years anyway...

Samhain wrote: »
    Maybe they were reading this -

:rolleyes:
    Sounds like pie in the sky all right. Id say the premises they are referring to is what was knows as the "olde town mall", about 2 doors up from Coxs. Would be great if it did happen but not in the next 10 years anyway...

And you've probably done exactly what they wanted and given a link to a sale on a site ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

@yop: I didnt realise i was breaking any rules by posting this, that ad has been up on done deal for about the last 2 years, they keep renewing the ad every now and then. The only reason i posted it was to give a bit of info as to where this "plan" is coming from. I can remove if it means that much?

Samhain wrote: »
    @yop: I didnt realise i was breaking any rules by posting this, that ad has been up on done deal for about the last 2 years, they keep renewing the ad every now and then. The only reason i posted it was to give a bit of info as to where this "plan" is coming from. I can remove if it means that much?

No not breaking rule at all! :) I am just saying that MAYBE the poster, who hasn't appeared since, hoped that someone might find the ad and give them some free coverage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

yop wrote: »
    No not breaking rule at all! :) I am just saying that MAYBE the poster, who hasn't appeared since, hoped that someone might find the ad and give them some free coverage :)

you would be mad to try and start that in this climate.

i don'tt remember seeing any planning applications for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mkie

ink comparisons with Westport are unfair anyway cause Castlebar is a business town and Westport is a tourist town, the vibe is completely different.

this is bull. different vibe alright, but as regards business, westport is wiping the floow with castlebar.

heres a list, add to it at will

Castlebar
    Baxter (reduced in size)
    volex gone
    hat factory (gone)

Westport
    Allergan
    horizon west
    abbott
    etc.

in terms of industry, its a smaller town, but its attracting international companies. all castlebar has is beauty therapists and hair dressers, along with clothes shops for pregnant mothers!
    we have no sustainable industries! and local councillors are doing nothing in the way of attracting large business! we only have ourselves to blame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

I actually think Castlebar is a decent town facilities wise etc. for the size of it. You're only going to be able to do so much with a town of 10,000 to 15,000 people anyway, there are towns that size all over Ireland and Castlebar is probably one of the better ones.

I would just like to see something done with The Mall to make it more of a focal point in the town centre. Not many small/medium size towns have an area of open space like it right in the middle of town and it just seems to go to waste most of the time. If it could be developed with a few nice bars and shops in and out between all the existing public facilities it could become a real centrepiece that would set Castlebar apart from other towns around the country. Very difficult to achieve that in practice though of course.

I agree the mall could be a great focal point for the town, now it they got a christmas market into it it would bring a great athmosphere to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Work started on upgrading the Mall footpaths, landscaping and road way last week, that will be a big improvement as it had become very delapidated. Shame some of the buildings around it couldn't be brought to life, hopefully the council purchase of the hotel will help. It has the potential to be a very nice civic space with the offices, council, court, Garda, library, pool all arranged around it.

The town centre upgrade is a big improvement but I think the belief that new footpaths would somehow resurrect shopping on the main street is daft given all the major retailers are based around the new Hopkins road development.

The problem is there's very little on Main street to attract anyone in anymore, particularly of a younger generation. While it's great to still have some local businesses on the street, with a few recent exceptions, the quality of the offering is poor and shop fronts uninviting. I don't know if it's down to rents, percieved lack of demand or owners unwillingness to invest but some shops seem stuck in the 80s and out of touch with what market is looking for. It needs a major anchor tenant, or some high street brands to bring back interest. That combined with a good quality restaurant like Rua and would bring life back to the street very quickly.

Paving the car-park behind Easons and draining the flooding along the new river path would also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

When I moved to Mayo in '96 I used to enjoy going shopping in C/bar.
    It had good friendly shops and a nice feel about the place.
    It had character.
    That seem to have all gone now and so I go there now only when I really need to.

The town should have been able to move with the times yet retain its' identity but it hasn't.

• Advertisement

mkie wrote: »
    this is bull. different vibe alright, but as regards business, westport is wiping the floow with castlebar.

heres a list, add to it at will

Castlebar
    Baxter (reduced in size)
    volex gone
    hat factory (gone)

Westport
    Allergan
    horizon west
    abbott
    etc.

in terms of industry, its a smaller town, but its attracting international companies. all castlebar has is beauty therapists and hair dressers, along with clothes shops for pregnant mothers!
    we have no sustainable industries! and local councillors are doing nothing in the way of attracting large business! we only have ourselves to blame

The IDA technology park in castlebar is a disgrace. All the money pumped into creating a fancy entranceway seats and water features and not one industry in the damn thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

When I moved to Mayo in '96 I used to enjoy going shopping in C/bar.
    It had good friendly shops and a nice feel about the place.
    It had character.
    That seem to have all gone now and so I go there now only when I really need to.

The town should have been able to move with the times yet retain its' identity but it hasn't.

Bad year to move to Mayo. That All-Ireland crushed us..

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

irishgeo wrote: »
    The IDA technology park in castlebar is a disgrace. All the money pumped into creating a fancy entranceway seats and water features and not one industry in the damn thing.

Where's that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Nuke it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Pedestrianise the Mall, its such an eyesore :p

Mickeroo wrote: »

Where's that??
    It's easy to miss as nothing is there.
    The roundabout after woodies as you head out of town. It's the first exit off that roundabout. Some nice concrete barriers out front of it. Look for the IDA sign saying technology park.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's easy to miss as nothing is there.
    The roundabout after woodies as you head out of town. It's the first exit off that roundabout. Some nice concrete barriers out front of it. Look for the IDA sign saying technology park.

Ah I was thinking that was it alright.Always did wonder what the deal with that place was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Bad year to move to Mayo. That All-Ireland crushed us..

You've just spoiled my day.
    I'd managed to push those defeats to the far corners of my mind.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 foxy6

There's an Indoor Christmas Market taking place in Castlebar this year, perfect if the snow arrives as bad as last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

foxy6 wrote: »
    There's an Indoor Christmas Market taking place in Castlebar this year, perfect if the snow arrives as bad as last year!

Where?

Advertisement