Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CD-I Emulation Help/Mental support

• 22-03-2011 1:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭

What a bloody nightmare,i put a good few hours into getting this working but to no avail.

I know its possible although difficult so this thread is to allow people to play some of the worst games ever made.

My progress so far
    Downloaded the emu software from
    http://www.cdiemu.org/

Then my best friend Google;) got me a few roms in the file formats .bin and .nrg

so i clicked into the emu opened the files and bingo it didnt work

Tried differant things with no success

Now i believe some one has got the classic game "Gelda The Zand of Wamelon" working so lets see what he did that my computer said no to:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

You have the cdi bios to run emu?.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems CDI-emu is the best emulator. I've been messing around tonight and can tell you cdi-emulation at the moment is a mess and not worth it.

The best emlator you can get is the 0.5.3 beta of cdi-emu. Unlike previous builds it plays the two zelda games with sound and music (although I found sound effects lagged badly behind the actions). Unfortunately the emulator doesn't support emulating CDI joypads only the wireless controller so your choice is to control things with the mouse (terrible) or with the keys emulating the wireless controller (only available in the 5.3.2 beta and god awful as well due to horribly unresponsive controls). And other thing is that the emulator will stop after 5 minutes and has to be reset unless you pay for the emulator which costs 25 euro. You will need bios files to get the games working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I had burn cycle on the CD-I back in the day. I think I only bought it for the cool clear green case it came in to be honest. I tried to run a backup on the emulator but it just wont take it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

1) Download CD-i 0.5.2

2) Use a bios file, & rename it to the according file the emulator is looking for, in my case I had to rename it to cdi205a.rom & then place said file in the appropriate bios directory.

3) Click file, open, & select your file.

4) Click on emulate, click on start.

5) The system will boot, use the CDI cursor to click Start CD-I

& wallow in cheese, deep fried cheese in extra cheese.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a real shame the author is looking for money for this when it's really not up to snuff and he hasn't even added in joypad emulation at all.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a real shame the author is looking for money for this when it's really not up to snuff and he hasn't even added in joypad emulation at all.

Ineed though to be brutall honest, the time limit is actually a god send in this case. Trust me op, don't waste your time. I wouldn't consider the Zelda titles on CDI to be cannon nor part of the saga in any way shape or form so your in the clear.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ineed though to be brutall honest, the time limit is actually a god send in this case. Trust me op, don't waste your time. I wouldn't consider the Zelda titles on CDI to be cannon nor part of the saga in any way shape or form so your in the clear.

The problem with the zelda games is that they would probably be pretty playable and I can see them being not that bad if only joypad input was added. The way the controls are handled makes the game totally unplayable at the moment. The soundtrack is really good in the game as well.

The problem with the zelda games is that they would probably be pretty playable and I can see them being not that bad if only joypad input was added. The way the controls are handled makes the game totally unplayable at the moment. The soundtrack is really good in the game as well.

You reckon the problem with those games is not having a joypad? Seriously, are we looking at the same games here??

Vs

Seriously man, you need to re-examine Zeldas of old if you think the CDI versions have any relevance at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hahaha holy crap is that some bad animation. How is the gameplay itself? I take it there's some normal Zelda type stuff? It's not like Dragons Lair or something is it? I don't think I could sit through a game full of animation like that...not even ironically.

Oh and by the way, I played your first LTTP video - that cathederal music still instantly gives me a shiver down my spine. Amazing stuff.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hahaha holy crap is that some bad animation. How is the gameplay itself? I take it there's some normal Zelda type stuff? It's not like Dragons Lair or something is it? I don't think I could sit through a game full of animation like that...not even ironically.

Oh and by the way, I played your first LTTP video - that cathederal music still instantly gives me a shiver down my spine. Amazing stuff.

It's not traditional Zelda type gameplay, but not uite Dragons Lair either.

The music in LTTP is incredible, the game really is a masterpiece from start to end.

You reckon the problem with those games is not having a joypad? Seriously, are we looking at the same games here??

Yes definitely. And it's not that the game doesn't support a game pad it's that the emulator doesn't emulate the CDi gamepad but emulates the remote control controller. So you have to either control the game using a mouse which is pretty much impossible or use the keyboard to emulate the movements of the remote control controller. The problem with the keyboard emulation is that it's emulating the remote controller so poorly. You press right and link will judder then 2 seconds later he will start moving to the right. Press up to jump and you get a tiny jump before 2 seconds later link will do an almost full jump.

I'm not trying to say that the games are much better than the main zelda games but they aren't the 'OMG! worst games ever!' that people that haven't played them make them out to be. I can see from playing on the emulator that the games are probably quite good and are more than playable. It's unfortunate that the emulator makes them unplayable, on original hardware these games would be decent enough, and I'd love to give them a go out of curiosity.
    Seriously man, you need to re-examine Zeldas of old if you think the CDI versions have any relevance at all.

You haven't played the game though. You are only going on the animated cutscenes that really are terrible. And if you did play it on an emulator the game is unplayable on it due to the controls, you have to imagine what it would be like on original hardware with the joypad. Other than that it's a decent looking game with amazing backgrounds and soundtrack that has the potential to play will if it wasn't let down by the emulator.
    o1s1n wrote: »

It plays like zelda 2 Links Adventure more than anything, the side scrolling bits but without the overworld sections. There's a bit of metroidvania going on as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Cheers guys
    I'm going to give this another shot later when the coffee kicks in

stayed up till nearly 6 playing The Minish cap on the ds

have a feeling i will be putting it quite high on my zelda list :D

Seriously it's not really worth it at the moment since due to the control issues the emulator can't do the zelda games any kind of justice. It will work well for mouse controlled games like Burn Cycle.

Still may as well have a tinker around with it

Retro do you know much about translation patches for ds games by any chance

i.e Gyakutan Kenji 2 (Miles Edgeworth investigations 2)

It's nothing to do with emulation, I don't need to play them to make up my mind Retr0. Let me put it this way - As Zelda games go, the ones on the CDI look by far & away, the worst of the bunch.

The voicing, the ridiculous control system, the stupid storyline, this is one game I'll happily pass on. Your saying it could be a decent game in its own right, which may be true. I'm saying as a Zelda game, its pathetic...which is true.

It's nothing to do with emulation, I don't need to play them to make up my mind Retr0. Let me put it this way - As Zelda games go, the ones on the CDI look by far & away, the worst of the bunch.

The voicing, the ridiculous control system, the stupid storyline, this is one game I'll happily pass on. Your saying it could be a decent game in its own right, which may be true. I'm saying as a Zelda game, its pathetic...which is true.

The satellaview games look interesting though i tried them out last night so they are next on my hit list

It's nothing to do with emulation, I don't need to play them to make up my mind Retr0.

And thus lies the problem with why this game has a negative image and also the source of a lot of fanboyism. It's impossible to form an opinion on something if you haven't experienced it. It's like saying a film is crap without having watched it.
    I'm saying as a Zelda game, its pathetic...which is true.

But you haven't played it, so in addition to it not being true it's not even an informed opinion.

The games may not be considered canon and may not come close to the main series zelda games (a pretty lofty goal to reach that only a handful of games have reached in all honesty) but the CD-i zelda games are far from irrelevant. I think they are really interesting for a number of reasons. Firstly the CD-i nintendo games are the only time that nintendo have handed complete control of their properties over to a third party. They also are complete and utter crap as their reputation seems to say and are actually pretty good games. Also they show how a badly written piece of journalism by IGN can blow things all out of proportion and give a game a bad name that it is totally undeserving of. The fact that they are actually good and have such a history means I think they are well worth playing. For games that are counted amoungst the worst games ever by ignorant people they are surprisingly good.

And thus lies the problem with why this game has a negative image and also the source of a lot of fanboyism. It's impossible to form an opinion on something if you haven't experienced it. It's like saying a film is crap without having watched it.

But you haven't played it, so in addition to it not being true it's not even an informed opinion.

The games may not be considered canon and may not come close to the main series zelda games (a pretty lofty goal to reach that only a handful of games have reached in all honesty) but the CD-i zelda games are far from irrelevant. I think they are really interesting for a number of reasons. Firstly the CD-i nintendo games are the only time that nintendo have handed complete control of their properties over to a third party. They also are complete and utter crap as their reputation seems to say and are actually pretty good games. Also they show how a badly written piece of journalism by IGN can blow things all out of proportion and give a game a bad name that it is totally undeserving of. The fact that they are actually good and have such a history means I think they are well worth playing. For games that are counted amoungst the worst games ever by ignorant people they are surprisingly good.

So I take it you've sat through full F1 seasons, full football seasons, you've a good grasp of NFL baseball, bowls & many other things. Surely you cant say they're crap until you've experienced them properly??

I think your digging yourself in too deep here Retr0, the Zelda CDi games have about as much lineage to the series as Street Fighter 2010 on the NES does to the street fighter series. I've alreay granted that as games they may be passable at best, but in comparison to other Zelda titles...they're essentially kids games.

I also havn't played Twilight Princess yet, but I know which of the two I actually will play.

Edit - I've made an informed decision based on my thoughts off seeing the game in operation, much the same way people do today when buying games do they not? I havn't bought it for the same reasons I havn't bought Hanna Montanna games...or are you saying making an informed decision based on your own thoughts of viewing the gameplay mean nothing? Because that'd be a first, even for you lol

• Advertisement

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Retro do you know much about translation patches for ds games by any chance

i.e Gyakutan Kenji 2 (Miles Edgeworth investigations 2)

If it's not on romhacking.net then it probably doesn't exist.
    So I take it you've sat through full F1 seasons, full football seasons, you've a good grasp of NFL baseball, bowls & many other things. Surely you cant say they're crap until you've experienced them properly??

Yes I have except bowls and anyway for most of those I wouldn't know them well enough to give an opinion on them except jokingly.
    I think your digging yourself in too deep here Retr0, the Zelda CDi games have about as much lineage to the series as Street Fighter 2010 on the NES does to the street fighter series. I've alreay granted that as games they may be passable at best, but in comparison to other Zelda titles...they're essentially kids games.

The thing is that the games are more than passable, they're actually good. Also you mention street fighter 2010. That game gets ridiculed as a terrible NES game when in fact supposedly when you get used to the control scheme and how the game works it's supposed to be one of the better games made for the NES according to people that have actually played the game. Just because the CD-i games aren't canon or don't compare to the zelda games doesn't make them not worthwhile.
    Edit - I've made an informed decision based on my thoughts off seeing the game in operation, much the same way people do today when buying games do they not?

Yes the very same people that buy games like Manhunt, Fifa Street, Who wants to be a millionaire, etc. and leave games like Katamari, Beyond Good and Evil and Okami lying on the shelves due to their very informed decisions.
    I havn't bought it for the same reasons I havn't bought Hanna Montanna games...

Here's one of the best games on the PS2 that you probably ignored as well from making a badly informed opinion that didn't involve reading up on informed opinions of the game or actually playing it:

kim_possible_whats_the_switch_frontcover_large_NsLccOEJBYzBSDa.jpg

The thing is you can't know a game is good until you've played it yourself or at least listened to some one talk about the game that is actually informative and not some AVGN wannabe.
    or are you saying making an informed decision based on your own thoughts of viewing the gameplay mean nothing? Because that'd be a first, even for you lol

Nope but smetimes it takes playing the actual game to really get a feel for it. Thought I'd hate Fallout 3 after hating Oblivion and seeing my friend play it and how similar it was until I actually played the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Now now lads, why can't we settle this all peaceful like, with a quick match of something like Halo or Goldeneye? ;)

Re: Zelda CDi, surely one doesn't have to actually eat a turd to know one?
    I mean the overall opinion is that the title is an awful addition to the franchise, I mean we can all appreciate that Super Mario Sunshine is a great game just not as great as the other Mario series titles, so it suffers only in comparison to them, in comparison to its contemporaries it is excellent, with little elsewhere at the time to beat it.
    Can Zelda on the CDi say that? Do you have to allow the game a lot of leeway due to the licence in order to overlook it's flaws?

I like Manhunt not sure what, aside from the subject matter, has got your goat about that game Retr0. But you're as entitled to be wrong as Enternow is! ;)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Can Zelda on the CDi say that? Do you have to allow the game a lot of leeway due to the licence in order to overlook it's flaws?

I think it's more a case of the licensing making people exaggerate the flaws or plain just make up stuff about it.
    I like Manhunt not sure what, aside from the subject matter, has got your goat about that game Retr0. But you're as entitled to be wrong as Enternow is! ;)

It's not just the subject matter. Think it doesn't pull it off because the visuals are so bad. Also doesn't help that an entire game based on stealth that the stealth mechanics are terrible.

Re: Zelda CDi, surely one doesn't have to actually eat a turd to know one?

Indeed, but this is Retr0 we're talking to.

You can't comment on a game unless you've played it. Strange talk for someone who buys Retrogamer magazine & spends time on HG101 :rolleyes: Why would you read someone elses views when you have to play it yourself?

Also, I never ridiculed SF 2010, I said it's completely irrelevant to the SF series, as are the Zelda games on the CDi.

But you're as entitled to be wrong as Enternow is! ;)

It obviously got a bad review in retrogamer magazine.

Also it's amazing that anyone who dislikes a game in a video review, is an AVGN wannabe :D:D I agree, there's too many of them, but what AVGN has to do with me thinking THE GAMES LOOKS ABSOLUTLEY POO is beyond me.

Basically the thread can be concluded thusly:

The wand of gamelon is actually a really good game, because you have to play a game before you think you won't like it (although the chap who said that never played it funnily enough).

Anyone who reviews a game poorly (outside of retrg magazine or HG101) is an AVGN wannabe.

Games for little girls are epicly good.

/thread :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, regarding the visuals in Manhunt, they are an updated version of the visuals that grace both GTA3 and GTA:VC, I own all three and have played them so I guess I have as valid opinion as the next guy who has played them. The visuals are grainy and dark on purpose, setting the scene as well as Vice Cities neon, blue skies and azure seas do.
    Manhunt is not a true stealth game, more about ultra violence, if its stealth you wanted then you bought Thief or Splinter Cell.
    Manhunt made you feel more or less invincible once you used the levels and tools at your disposal, to a certain extent similar to the early Hitman titles.
    It lacked the sophistication of the aforementioned Thief sure, but then it was made to allow you to be vengeful and brutal in your actions, against equally brutal and often stupid enemies.
    It could be argued that if you were a psychopath that this is how you would view the rest of the "neuro-typical" population, as sheep to be ignored or slaughtered as required to suit your goals, this is something the game emulates very well.
    As for Zelda CDi, have you played it Retr0 or are you relying on the opinion of a third party?

Well, regarding the visuals in Manhunt, they are an updated version of the visuals that grace both GTA3 and GTA:VC, I own all three and have played them so I guess I have as valid opinion as the next guy who has played them. The visuals are grainy and dark on purpose, setting the scene as well as Vice Cities neon, blue skies and azure seas do.
    Manhunt is not a true stealth game, more about ultra violence, if its stealth you wanted then you bought Thief or Splinter Cell.
    Manhunt made you feel more or less invincible once you used the levels and tools at your disposal, to a certain extent similar to the early Hitman titles.
    It lacked the sophistication of the aforementioned Thief sure, but then it was made to allow you to be vengeful and brutal in your actions, against equally brutal and often stupid enemies.
    It could be argued that if you were a psychopath that this is how you would view the rest of the "neuro-typical" population, as sheep to be ignored or slaughtered as required to suit your goals, this is something the game emulates very well.
    As for Zelda CDi, have you played it Retr0 or are you relying on the opinion of a third party?

If Manhunt got a bad review in Retrogamer magazine, your p1ssing against the wind Cidey, save your breath :D

Played it for the first time yesterday on that emulator for a good bit. It's a pretty good game let down by the emulator controls and you can tell it would be a lot better if the emulator supported joypads.

I'm not going to go into Manhunt but you've played it, probably more than me and have a valid opinion on it.

The thing that irks me about the negative image of this game is that after release these two games reviewed quite well and were viewed as two of the best games on the system. It wasn't until IGN put out a badly researched article on the worse games ever and included the two zelda CDi games for shock factor that everyone decided that the games were crap.

As for all the video reviews of the CDi zelda games being by AVGN wannabes, come back to me when you find one that isn't by one of them. Before yesterday the only two articles I read about these games by people that have actually played them was the HG101 and retrogamer articles both of which say they are good games. Yesterday from trawling through the CDi fan sites it seems that CDi fans regard the games as really good as well. The difference between them and the haters? They actually played the games. I'd rather not be a sheep and follow the crowd and give my own views on videogames.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

Here's a review that I reckon sums up Retr0s point of view on the Zelda game...
    "Surprisingly adequate side-scrolling adventure"
    And here's one that sums up Enternows....
    "This Game Stinks. On Ice."

Gamefaqs review. The most informative reviews on the internet :)

lol didnt think that this thread would lead to a mod battle:D

I will find a way to play the 3 cdi Zeldas and i will beat them (After i finish The Minish Cap )

The emu is still not working for me so i am trying a few other ideas
    I will let you know when i fail :D

Only other emulator I know that works is MESS but apparently CDi-emu uses some source code from MESS.

Anyway I'm going to try again tonight to sort out the controls. Might have to do something drastic like a mouse to key converter but going to try plugging in a joypad this time to see if it works, heard somewhere that it sometimes autodetects joypads.

Only other emulator I know that works is MESS but apparently CDi-emu uses some source code from MESS.

Anyway I'm going to try again tonight to sort out the controls. Might have to do something drastic like a mouse to key converter but going to try plugging in a joypad this time to see if it works, heard somewhere that it sometimes autodetects joypads.

Maybe a later dev on this

http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2009/10/28/cdi-in-review/

• Advertisement

Played it for the first time yesterday on that emulator for a good bit. It's a pretty good game let down by the emulator controls and you can tell it would be a lot better if the emulator supported joypads.

I'm not going to go into Manhunt but you've played it, probably more than me and have a valid opinion on it.

The thing that irks me about the negative image of this game is that after release these two games reviewed quite well and were viewed as two of the best games on the system. It wasn't until IGN put out a badly researched article on the worse games ever and included the two zelda CDi games for shock factor that everyone decided that the games were crap.

As for all the video reviews of the CDi zelda games being by AVGN wannabes, come back to me when you find one that isn't by one of them. Before yesterday the only two articles I read about these games by people that have actually played them was the HG101 and retrogamer articles both of which say they are good games. Yesterday from trawling through the CDi fan sites it seems that CDi fans regard the games as really good as well. The difference between them and the haters? They actually played the games. I'd rather not be a sheep and follow the crowd and give my own views on videogames.

Do you not get the irony of your post here Retr0? Your saying the game is good based on HG101 & RGM magazine...yet anyone who disagrees is a sheep for letting others think for them??

I don't need to play the game to tell you its a bad Zelda game. Call it "Trick Mick's Seatlle Adventure" & it might be a passable game, but it is no Zelda game. If you think it is, you need to evaluate for you what makes a good Zelda game.

Folks you can drop the popcorn, Retr0 & I always have these debates...they nearly always end in us accepting each others points & agreeing to disagree :D

Do you not get the irony of your post here Retr0? Your saying the game is good based on HG101 & RGM magazine...yet anyone who disagrees is a sheep for letting others think for them??

No irony there. I never said the game was good based on HG101 and RGM. I always thought the game was crap until the HG101 article which made me curious about it and yesterday I found out the game doesn't deserve the reputation it has after playing it for the first time.

I give up, plugged in my fightstick and still not working.

No irony there. I never said the game was good based on HG101 and RGM. I always thought the game was crap until the HG101 article which made me curious about it and yesterday I found out the game doesn't deserve the reputation it has after playing it for the first time.

How did you manage to play it past the emulators built in time limit? Cracked version or something?

Cracked version of the previous build which unfortunately doesn't have the soundtrack during the game which is the best thing about the game unfortunately.

• Advertisement

**** this emulator. Final final try and got my fightpad working eventually. It was working on the bios screen. Start up the game, does it work? Does it ballox :(

**** this emulator. Final final try and got my fightpad working eventually. It was working on the bios screen. Start up the game, does it work? Does it ballox :(

Buy a CDi if the games are so good! :p

Down with that sort of thing

I would love to be having those problems

Got a brief hope then it froze

Rage building :mad:

You know I was looking on ebay for one. They're expensive, most are broken and the shipping is silly money.

You know I was looking on ebay for one. They're expensive, most are broken and the shipping is silly money.

Still though, they're good games.

Just played Super Mario's Wacky Worlds on the CD-i emulator there. Its not good, not good at all. ;)

Steve SI wrote: »
    Just played Super Mario's Wacky Worlds on the CD-i emulator there. Its not good, not good at all. ;)

No kidding :D

The CDi is basically a softcore porn & educational device...nothing more.

No kidding :D

The CDi is basically a softcore porn & educational device...nothing more.

Very true, "Playboy's Complete Massage" was a very educational game for me when I was about 12-13 :D

For anyone who's interested. The cdiemu-0.5.3-beta2 emulator picks up my xbox 360 wireless joypad and buttons fine. It's hooked up to Windows 7 64bit via the wireless receiver.

I wonder then if there is a Nuon emu, a truly rare beast with exactly 1 game worth playing out of a selection of 5 or 6.
    Now that was an expensive import, must have ended up costing me in the region of 300 to get it, tempest 3000 and a donor Dvd player for parts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement