Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'What do you really think' thread

• 22-03-2011 1:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭

No holds barred

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

think of what?

This photography yokes a loada crap, whatever happened to the auld disposable cameras and be done with it :D

I still don't get the idea of the thread....

... And that's the bottom line, 'cos Stone Cold said so!

I'm fairly sure the forum is generally an honest enough place anyway, to be honest. It's not like we all know each other so well that we're afraid to hurt each other's feelings.

Keps; are you asking in general how we feel about different, things? or specifically about that photo (assuming you tried to post it? your OP was edited but I don't know what was originally in it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

I am sorry - I had intended to start this as a light hearted - C&C thread - but the 3 times I posted the photos I wanted to use to kick off the thread they were much much too big so I had to delete them so the whole thread has now become disjointed

I'm sorry

Well if it matters at all, I thought your edit was a significant improvement over the original, though I do think it would've been better had one of the sheep been looking at the camera at the time.

• Advertisement

Ok just to get the ball rolling

Is it OK for most folks if this

swxnk3.jpg

Is changed to this

2pr8aw2.jpg

No. Change it back and cop on to yourself!

Haha. Keps, I've taken many a photo that I thought was lovely, and I never got a single thanks for them in the random thread. Didn't make me like the photo any less (Though it did bring me down with many bouts of depression and lingering thoughts of "what is life all about").

As per the thread title;

Keps: What do you YOU really think? :)

Well if it matters at all, I thought your edit was a significant improvement over the original, though I do think it would've been better had one of the sheep been looking at the camera at the time.

I did say BaHHHH BAHHHHH BAHHHH several times and said I was from Wickow(a lie) too but the sheep just kept her eyes on the turnip and turned up her nose to me:o

keps wrote: »
    I did say BaHHHH BAHHHHH BAHHHH several times and said I was from Wickow(a lie) too but the sheep just kept her eyes on the turnip and turned up her nose to me:o

Well if you want to start doing that sorta photography, Argos have a good sale on at the moment;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056213190

Because of my very bad edits due to posting too large photos three times - this thread is starting off not too good.
    :confused:

I don't think C&C really works as it is up to 1 person to ask for it on their own-rather than on a kinda thread.

So I thought an ongoing thread 'What do you really think' might just bring out a bit of honesty, helpfulness and fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I really like how this came out... do you?

189134_1680790784229_1371352676_31650286_5857763_n.jpg

panning on the iphone actually works :eek:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Ah, I don't know if I agree. I think threads that are purpose built are usually ****e. Look at the new camera recommendations thread, for example. I know I wouldn't bother looking for help in it.

Making a C+C thread gives everyone the opportunity to view the OP's image(s), give constructive comments and criticism, etc. and the OP can then bookmark the thread and fall back on it at a later date.

"All your _______ goes in here" threads are the equivalent to a real life shouting match. You can ask as many questions as you like, but it's doubtful you'll get a decent response, and even if you do, chances are it'll be lost among everyone elses questions and answers that aren't relating to your own query at all, so you'll probably never hear the answer anyway.

All my own opinion, of course :)

to
    dazftw

yep I love everything about that photo

The vibrance - the great B&W contrast

And it seems to obey that rule what I hate - the thirds one!

Great shot

Making a C+C thread gives everyone the opportunity to view the OP's image(s), give constructive comments and criticism, etc. and the OP can then bookmark the thread and fall back on it at a later date.

Is there one?

keps wrote: »
    Is there one?

Is there one what? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I'd be here all day if I was to spew what I really think ;)

I stopped asking for c&c here because of a few bitter persons who would nit pick just because it was me. I see no point in that. I will get back to it though, you learn who's genuine after a while. Got a new macro lens and macro is newish to me so will be looking for some tips.

As for your image op, I prefer the original in this case. The sky helps to lift it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

More nudity should be allowed. (although I see Thonda's last one was allowed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Best idea for a thread in a long time where people can be brutally honest and critically analyze an image, break it down and say why they don't, or do like it.

I think it'll need to be heavily monotored in case it goes wild into a mess of tit for tat.

Maybe post an image and then you can't comment on anything anybody has said about it and remember not to get personal!

Heavier than usual?! :O

I'd be a for that. I like straight talk so long as it's constructive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I dont like it, I think its a terrible idea and cropping a picture, why on earth would you do that..... hang on, what are we talking about...?

In all seriousness it is a good ideato have honest c&c but then again arent we always honest? It could end up being messy just because I may post a pic at the same time as say cagey above and it could become a little complicated as to what comment is for which picture dont you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I, in my naivety, assume that all C&C threads would be answered honestly. If there is a critique to be made then make it - preferably with a suggestion of how to correct or improve on the original. That is the C&C's raison d'être. It should be about the destructuring of the image as a learning exercise for ALL involved.

Those ‘Lovely shot’ comments, nice as they are to receive are not constructive. The ‘I hate portraits of babies’ (on a portrait of a baby C&C) type comments too are equally useless. It’s not about your tastes but about the image and what can be done to improve it.

Having a thread where you specifically ask for negative responses will inevitably lead to conflict and personality clashes.

On a side note I do wish all C&C threads actually had C&C in the thread title - just for making searching easier. I am currently trawling back through the archives to see what I can learn.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think the C+C comments can be good sometimes, but a lot of people won't be too honest as it tends to come across as offensive and almost personal.

A lot of people here only post their pictures 'cause they really like them and they think they're amazing, so they get offended and take it personally when criticised :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I try to be honest in the c+c threads too although I draw the line at actually saying image is ****e if I really think it is. sometimes I don't bother replying because the image is so bad that it would take too long to outline all of the things I dislike about the shot. :)

the real sign that everyone thinks your Photograph crap?

no one comments on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

sheesh wrote: »
    I try to be honest in the c+c threads too although I draw the line at actually saying image is ****e if I really think it is. sometimes I don't bother replying because the image is so bad that it would take too long to outline all of the things I dislike about the shot. :)

the real sign that everyone thinks your Photograph crap?

no one comments on it.

but but but ... I always thought it was because everyone was blown away by the magnificence of my shots :eek:

I think the C&C thing works well enough for what it is, notwithstanding some posters habits of interpreting actual constructive criticism as personal attacks. There are a couple of posters who provide good C&C, ACD comes to mind, but for the most part the responses are fairly anodyne.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I don't think there's anything wrong in simply saying that a shot is great in the C&C threads. Of course people should definitely offer actual C&C if they can.

We've seen a bunch of new people buying cameras in the gear thread lately and hopefully we'll continue to see them post their photos here and contribute to discussions etc. When you're starting out just saying that you like something or being told your work is good is probably the best way to interact with the community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I think it's a good idea, but like Smelltheglove I think one thread would be too messy for that. Pity.
    I like very honest criticism, if you can't get it on here, it's certainly not Flickr that's going to deliver on that, and I don't really frequent other forums, so it's a real help to have an honest response and advice here.

I don't think anyone here posts pics and expects magnificent comments. The idea being you only post what you're not sure on. What I don't like is that often it can happen that people feel they need to be negative, just for the sake of it. And get overly elaborate about it. Say what you think, and leave it. Why the attempts at lessons? None of us are the perfect photo-taker.

Well, it helps to know who's posting the criticism allright, so you know what these people in particular prefer, their own style, what they're likely to advocate or reject, and how they usually operate (to put it mildly, as in, what sort of comments they usually give, if they tend to enjoy forking out negative criticism...).

Even just knowing whether the poster is female or male might explain some of the reactions (ie, am stereotyping, but I guess females might be more positively responsive to flowers than males).

It's good to get all the criticism, but it makes it easier to swallow when you know who it's coming from.
    For someone who's not yet familiar with the regulars on here, it must be tougher to take some comments, so it's no harm being a bit gentle with a newish person.

I would love one thread, and one only, A Q&A with the Cage! Let rip in it and throw me all you got and be done. [because, y'know, i think I kow it all, and I'm an expert on everything etc ... :rolleyes: ]

But that'll happen when the devil is sipping a slush puppy ... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kevvhayes

Keps. I like your original photo. As for getting one or two of the sheep to look at the camera, even sheep can tell the difference of a BAAAAAA in a kildare accent as opposed to a Wicklow accent!!!!! now for me that would have been no problem. Would have had them all looking the right way. HAHA

Keps I forgot to give you my opinion, for what it's worth :o.

I like your cropped and processed shot much much more than the original.
    I'm not gone into the sky on the original, the pylons annoy me, and the extraneous bits at the side, and the sheep look dirty
    (not in a good way :D) (if ever there was a way a dirty sheep could be a good thing :eek:).

The cropped one has much more punch, it's using lines and symmetry in a much more obvious and efficient manner, and there are no distracting bits. I actually like that the sheep are not looking. It just has a lot more impact IMHO. I do love the perspective up the hill !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

FWIW
    - I will post a photo for C&C generally if looking for advice on how to improve. I am still at the stage where I screw up regularly, but recognise where most of the screwups are, so don't post for C&C too often.

- I will respond to C&C photos if I feel the photo is brilliant, or, if I feel I have some constructive advice to offer. (So, I haven't responded to Keps photos above, because, for me, they don't fit into either category, though the B/W crop is a huge improvement IMO)

- If I think a photo is absolutely crap I will never come out & actually say it that bluntly. I know absolutely nothing about most of the posters here & so will avoid making any statement that could be hurtful or offensive.

- I think, 1 photo ( or group of photos ) per C&C thread & having C&C in the title is better.

- I will rarely comment at all on photos of samuel beckett bridge, carton estate, swans, etc, done to death already!

Great to get all that off my chest...

- FoxT

Advertisement