Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New router slower than old Eircom one, Help!

• 22-03-2011 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I got an Asus DSL N-13 around Christmas time ('10) to replace our ancient Netopia Eircom router, which never had the range to cover the whole house.

I set up the Asus and was immediately disappointed with the (wired) internet speed. I did some troubleshooting and realised the phone cable that came with the Asus only contained 2 wires, while the one we'd been using had 4. Replacing the cable brought the speed back up to a comparable rate with the old Netopia, still not quite as fast though! Anyway, I was happy enough because now I could get my smart phone on the network almost anywhere in the house.

Now, three months later, the speed has dropped to a crawl. No settings were changed to bring about this drop in speed and I've tried resetting the router, changing the settings, everything I can think of, multiple times and the speed is still painful.

So I dusted off the old Netopia and hooked it back up. I had to set the DNS but apart from that the connection was back up to it's former, modest, glory.

TL;DR New router (Asus) slow, old router (Netopia) fast. What's going on?

Here are two tests from speedtest.net done with the two routers within 5 minutes of each other:

Asus
    1213858644.png

Netopia
    1213860722.png

Anyone have any ideas what the hell is going on????

These are the basic setting I've been using:

DNS:

Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

I don't have the Asus connected at the moment but can give more details on request.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    barro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

What are the Routers syncing/connection to Eircom at (in the DSL stats area)? I have found different modems can sync at and maintain speeds better than others, with the older Netopia being actually quite good.

Also, are you aware you can just use the Netopia as a modem if you disable the Wifi and DHCP server on it and just use the Asus as a Wifi Access point? Best of both worlds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What are your line stats with both?

Advertisement