Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you like to eat in your local?

• 22-03-2011 3:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

I would like to find out what people order for lunch, or snack in their local?

Im a chicken goujan, chips and garlic dip kinda gal :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

No? No-one? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Let's be fair you asked a quiet section of boards.ie what they would eat in a local at 2:16am and surprised why you didn't get a response.

I'm sure AH are alive and kicking 24 hours a day. ;)

Depends on the pub would be my answer. Is it a Gastro pub or a pub trying to do food to desperately make money? Is it a carvery job or a table service pub?

Steak Sandwhich is always a nice in betweener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Simple chips, burgers and chicken goujan, can be good, but for god’s sake don’t buy in frozen crap. Food should be prepared on premises whatever the decide to sell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Sausages and mash is an easy one to get right - good quality, herby sausages, a dash of mustard in the potatoes, perhaps some onion gravy.

Otherwise...buffalo wings? Nachos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

My local does excellent food. I like to have either one of their burgers and chips or some lasagne

• Advertisement

I didnt realise it was that late when i posted ooops :)

Good suggestions though. I work in a quiet country pub that has lots of passers by and loads of carparking so i want to suggest to my manager that i run the food there. Thanks for the suggestions. They were along the lines of my thinking too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

This might be a bit left-field but I love German sausage i.e wurst with a beer. Lovely in bread with some ketchup and mustard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

If this was AH i would say 'the Bar woman' but it is not so i will stick with just having pints in my local.

Guill wrote: »
    If this was AH i would say 'the Bar woman' but it is not so i will stick with just having pints in my local.

Haha...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

No ones going to like this answer but Im a chef years and anything I cook myself would be better than anything in my local.
    Im really fussy bout eating out.Yeah I like burgers and chips from the chippy like anyone else but I mean going into a restaurant or bar.So many times I have been disappointed that now I dont bother unless its somewhere I know I will enjoy.
    yeah maybe the food in the local is good but Im betting its frozen goujons which terrifies me and I hate meat ,veg and potato dishes.I also hate carvery unless its top notch carvery which does exist but you have to weed it out and find one which isnt open eight hours with the food dried out .
    Good luck in running the kitchen but it might not be as easy as it looks ,but as you say its quiet so you might be ok.

• Advertisement

eternal wrote: »
    No ones going to like this answer but Im a chef years and anything I cook myself would be better than anything in my local.
    Im really fussy bout eating out.Yeah I like burgers and chips from the chippy like anyone else but I mean going into a restaurant or bar.So many times I have been disappointed that now I dont bother unless its somewhere I know I will enjoy.
    yeah maybe the food in the local is good but Im betting its frozen goujons which terrifies me and I hate meat ,veg and potato dishes.I also hate carvery unless its top notch carvery which does exist but you have to weed it out and find one which isnt open eight hours with the food dried out .
    Good luck in running the kitchen but it might not be as easy as it looks ,but as you say its quiet so you might be ok.

I get what u mean about frozen food. I would be making home made burgers with home made cajun coating for the chicken goujans, home made lasagne and home cut chunky chips.. everything made from scratch in other words :)

Oh that sounds gorgeous !! Where are you and Ill pop in ,hope its not too far to drive !!

eternal wrote: »
    Oh that sounds gorgeous !! Where are you and Ill pop in ,hope its not too far to drive !!

Im afraid its in dublin..too far from cork :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Where in Dublin?

Oslo in Connoly Station in the best carvary I know. And lots of options off the menu too.
    The food is great, good value and if you're a regular the chefs give you free deserts :)

So where are you JajaD? I might call in
    You need some light options too. Not everyone is after a carvery meal or burger and chips
    Ladies and even lads are looking for lovely salads too as an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

They do a serious steak in one of my locals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I want plenty of choice that isn't deep fried.
    Salads with home made dressings.

Lets move on from gougons, and lasagne, Thai sweet chili sauce and cajun seasoning - just some simple decent home made food.

Sandwiches on decent bread.
    Stew/casserole of the day.
    Salad of the day.
    Home made soup.
    Home made (COOKED TO ORDER!!!!) burgers if you must but do the chips yourself (or if you absolutely must have frozen then make them nice frozen chips and cook them properly).
    No coleslaw!!
    No sliced pans!
    No bottled sauces.

Oh if i say ill blow my boards.ie cover :)

Just pm the guy if you trust him or no ,wouldnt blame you though..I mean it is your work place ,lot psychos out there.
    I agree about the salads .I love making salads and different dressings.there really is a lot of option if you have the proper ingredients.
    But I too notice ,not many places have salads.I was craving one the other day and couldnt think of anywhere nearby that had them.
    I remember working in a really good restaurant and everything was made from scratch.You would get the odd order for salad ,no dressing .This was all the person would order ,no starter ,no dessert.
    When you think of the quality of food the place had ,it was pure heresay to order that .We used to be wondering wtf in the kitchen .
    So when I say getting a salad out I mean a proper salad ,with maybe prawns or chicken and a really nice dressing.
    Salads are limitless ,you can put anything ,within reason in them.But hardly anywhere has that option ,if they do its just like lettuce with bit of tomato or something .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Cowboy pie and a pint of milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Mmm, pies. Definitely pie. Little chicken pies and beef and gravy pies. They'd work well in a pub too as they could be made in the morning and then thrown in the oven when they're ordered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Pie and a Pint. Keep the pies cheap, and tasty, if you can keep the pie under a fiver, you'd be onto a winner.

Beef and ale , chicken and mushroom, fish, pork and cider pie, add on chips and salad as an extra.

Basket of sausage and chips, hell even scampi.

Fresh breads for the sammidges, cook off a ham in the morning for the filling, if you want, try and use local foods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

was in the PH in Bray yesterday.must say there food is brillant.
    chicken wings to start.then had chicken and ham and ale pie.
    wife had beef and stout pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Saermegil

I love pickled sausages (utopenci). It's a czech specialty and is amazing with most types of beer. Pickled cheeses aren't bad either. It's the kind of food that can help you keep drinking all night long!

blueshed wrote: »
    was in the PH in Bray yesterday.must say there food is brillant.
    chicken wings to start.then had chicken and ham and ale pie.
    wife had beef and stout pie.
    We went to Bray while back and ended up eating here twice,really good pub grub.

Yeah im not looking for fancy food. This is not gonna be a big venture. Just something that will be quick, tasty and cheap. Home made burgers and lasagne are top sellers in any place so id never ditch them. Plus they are tasy (well mine ones are anyway :)

Pint and a pie idea is great!! Sounds catchy and fun too. That would definitely go down well with the local lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

JajaD wrote: »
    Yeah im not looking for fancy food. This is not gonna be a big venture. Just something that will be quick, tasty and cheap. Home made burgers and lasagne are top sellers in any place so id never ditch them. Plus they are tasy (well mine ones are anyway :)

Pint and a pie idea is great!! Sounds catchy and fun too. That would definitely go down well with the local lads :)

You will have to throw in a basket of chips and/or onion rings in
    with that.

I say do it for 10 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tuongvns

I eat Vietnamese food every day. Steamed rices, pork meat and vegetable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

JajaD wrote: »

So why go to your place specifically to have them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

When I lived in Scotland, my local had pie and mash with a pint for £6. If you were able to do a combo like that for a reasonable price I reckon you'd be on to a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Spicy Buffalo Wings!!!!!!

Iv also found sea food chowder to go perfectly with Guinness...................

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Seckz Panther

...Guinness...

Advertisement