Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollandaise Sauce

Options
  • 22-03-2011 5:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

My Favourite Breakfast,
    Toasted muffin
    Grilled Bacon
    Roasted Asparagus
    Hollandaise Sauce

I have tried to make the Hollandaise twice now but each time it has turned out horrible tasting...

First Attempt

3 egg yolks
    2 tbspn lemon
    pinch ofpepper
    Beat together

I then added melted butter poured vrey slowly into the egg mixture, kept the mixture in a glass bowl over simmering water.

The sauce thickened to a lovely consistancy looked perfect but tasted horrible :(

Second attempt

2 egg yolks
    Lemon
    salt pepper
    beaten together

Made a roux with butter and flour
    Added just less than a cup of cream
    Brought to the boil
    Poured slowly into egg mixture followed same proceedure as first time
    added some chopped parsley

same result sauce thickened to a lovely consistancy looked perfect but tasted horrible :mad:

I think it may be the lemon but i have only used the amount specified in the recipe 2 tbspns

Any ideas where i'm going wrong or any info on how you make your perfect hollandaise sause??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Flour/cream in Hollandaise?

(for two) I put an egg yolk and a splash of water in a pot. Start to stir over a low heat. Add in cubes of butter - one at a time until they melt. Keep adding until all butter is used and then add lemon to taste.
    My trick is - never have your pot hotter than you can hold your hand against the side. It's very easy to do over gas - prob not as handy over electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

This sauce, while seeming difficult is really easy to make:
    take 2 to 3 egg yolks, (depending on how many you are cooking for) add a small squeeze of lemon and a couple table spoons of white wine. over a double boiler beat eggs until frothy and light. don't let bowl get too hot. remove periodically and let cool for a few seconds. you are done beating when you lift your whisk and the egg mixture thickly falls in ''ribbons''. at this point slowly add your clarified butter. (you have before hand made 400-700 grms of C. butter) eggs can take a lot of butter. just add it slowly until it tastes right. if you add too much and it starts to break, just add a little hot water and it'll come back together. salt and pepper to finish. add a bit of tarragon and you have a bernaise sauce!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

I have to say after several attempts which turned out ok but took so long and were too much hassle , I vowed to use packet hollandaise :eek: its perfectly fine.. no one notices ;)

Advertisement