Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recently lost "cash" job. What to do now?

• 22-03-2011 6:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I was working semi-regularly at a job that I was being paid for in cash, no payslips or any record of employment. My boss probably assumed I was claiming dole, as I now suspect everyone else was. My former boss would have had his own reasons for the arrangement I'm sure and I cannot involve him in the situation in any way.

It wasn't brilliant money or anything, but I was just happy to be getting a wage and just about keeping my head above water. I'm fairly easily pleased, so that kept me happy really.

To add to that, I know quite a number of people employed by the DSW (through clubs etc.). It would be incredibly foolish of me to want to try to defraud the state, not that I was of that mind in the first place.

Work has now dried up and I need to apply for unemployment assistance.

I'm very worried about how my situation might be viewed.

I understand what P.R.S.I. contributions are for and that they obviously weren't being paid.

What is likely to happen when I attend the DSW office?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Granger13

Hi,

I was working semi-regularly at a job that I was being paid for in cash, no payslips or any record of employment. My boss probably assumed I was claiming dole, as I now suspect everyone else was. My former boss would have had his own reasons for the arrangement I'm sure and I cannot involve him in the situation in any way.

It wasn't brilliant money or anything, but I was just happy to be getting a wage and just about keeping my head above water. I'm fairly easily pleased, so that kept me happy really.

To add to that, I know quite a number of people employed by the DSW (through clubs etc.). It would be incredibly foolish of me to want to try to defraud the state, not that I was of that mind in the first place.

I understand what P.R.S.I. contributions are for and that they obviously weren't being paid.

When filling out a form for a unemployment assistant, they would usually ask about your previously employment, which would mean mentioning your employers name and details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 savy2011

Hi,

I would ring citizen advice - they have the best answer for something like this, i have found them very helpful - might not always be what you want to hear but need too. They would be able to explain it better and give you options of what to do

at the end of the day you have to protect your own income and not your former employerd - best of luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Well your ex boss let you go while illegally employing you. He's the one that committed the fraud, not you. Just tell them who you worked for and you had no payslips etc.

Most people who do this receive well below the minimum wage so its unlikely that you'd have a tax liability, though you might owe a little USC. Talk to citizens information first who might be able to give you better guidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My reason for not dropping my previous employer in it isn't so much to protect him.

The fact that I have been doing my best to get another job for a while with no luck and also there being a chance that I might be called back to work for him again in a couple of weeks, if I'm lucky.

Can't live on the hope of that happening though.

Will talk to citizen's advice as suggested.

Advertisement