Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running cables inside wall

• 22-03-2011 8:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

Bought a new flat screen TV and a wall mount and was just about to install it and then I thought "wtf do i do with the ugly cables".

I am installing the TV on a solid concrete external wall. There are other cables that were run through the wall at time of construction so I assume there is a cavity. I have been looking at buying a "fish tape" and drilling a hole where to take the cables in and then one at the base to connect power + other cables.

Any pitfalls to observe? What drill bit would be best? Its going to have to be a couple of CM I would imagine to take a couple of HDMI + power.

I've looked at plastic fittings which would be easier but whats the point of hiding plastic cables in a plastic casing... Looks slightly better but its still fugly.

Cheers,
    X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

How about Flatwire or Taperwire? I wouldn't like to breach the cavity and disturb insulation if it were me.

You could also chase a channel into the wall and put in some trunking and get it plastered. More work but preferable to breaching cavity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

When I did it, I got string and tied a socket from a rachet set to it. Opened an airvent upstairs and dangled it down. Took a bit of up and down, up and down, but it worked. Then I tied my cable to the string and pulled it back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Gulliver wrote: »
    How about Flatwire or Taperwire? I wouldn't like to breach the cavity and disturb insulation if it were me.

You could also chase a channel into the wall and put in some trunking and get it plastered. More work but preferable to breaching cavity.

I want the cleanest possible finish and anything that goes on the wall is going to be noticeable and besides to rig up the modern TV its a lot of cables. 4 - 5.

What is the problem with breaching cavity? This is what I assume the wall is like

Inside || <run cable here> insulation || Outside

If I run the cable inside the insulation and don't breach the external wall what would be the issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Personally, i wouldn't breach the cavity. I'd chase the wall, put in some conduit and fill it over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

The Trouble with tv cables etc is the technology keeps changing. There shouldn't be any problem using the cavity. Just drill a large enough hole to begin with about 25 mil to allow the cables to bend when inside the cavity. Drill the top hole first and then see how far you can drop a string with a weight on it. If it reaches where you need it then drill your second hole and fish it out. When pulling your cable through, make sure and leave a spare string in the cavity for the next time you might need it. Just tape it to the Cable as you push it back into the Wall and then fill the holes. job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Xcellor wrote: »
    I am installing the TV on a solid concrete external wall. There are other cables that were run through the wall at time of construction so I assume there is a cavity.

Can you clarify what you mean by solid concrete wall? Do you mean a brick/block wall that is then covered in plaster board?? What happens when you tap it?

When you tap it you should know if its plaster board or plastered block. I would guess that its plaster board. I would cut a square hole (4" x 4") behind where the TV sits and see if you can gain access to the cavity. I would then cut a similar hole down the bottom. You should be able to drop something like an old metal coat hanger down, provided you don't hit a noggin (eg a horizontal piece of wood). If you do hit a noggin you'll need to drill / cut in from the front to notch it then re plaster that little bit.

You'll need to come up with some way of covering the bottom hole where call the cables exit. I would probably put a single blanking plate on it and notch the bottom of it so the cables can exit.

Can you clarify what you mean by solid concrete wall? Do you mean a brick/block wall that is then covered in plaster board?? What happens when you tap it?

When you tap it you should know if its plaster board or plastered block. I would guess that its plaster board. I would cut a square hole (4" x 4") behind where the TV sits and see if you can gain access to the cavity. I would then cut a similar hole down the bottom. You should be able to drop something like an old metal coat hanger down, provided you don't hit a noggin (eg a horizontal piece of wood). If you do hit a noggin you'll need to drill / cut in from the front to notch it then re plaster that little bit.

You'll need to come up with some way of covering the bottom hole where call the cables exit. I would probably put a single blanking plate on it and notch the bottom of it so the cables can exit.

The wall is not plasterboard I have this upstairs as when I needed to fit a bracket for mounting TV upstairs I needed to find the studs.

It is solid concrete block. Recently built.

Personally, i wouldn't breach the cavity. I'd chase the wall, put in some conduit and fill it over again.

Why? What are the disadvantages? The hole I will make will be less than 5 CM in diameter.

When sky installed my HD+ box they drilled straight throught from outside and brought a cable through. I won't even be drilling to the external block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Why? What are the disadvantages? The hole I will make will be less than 5 CM in diameter.

When sky installed my HD+ box they drilled straight through from outside and brought a cable through. I won't even be drilling to the external block.

Sky dont give a ...k. The small print says if they hit a pipe/cable/etc its your problem.

I am assuming the OP has a cavity block wall : say 100mm block either side and the a 60mm cavity in between

This cavity could be filled with insulation so game over.

Even if not the cables could get fouled in a cable tie.

If the OP breaches the cavity the crap from the drilling/hacking/etc will fall down on to the dpc and act as a bridge for damp

OP re this bit in your first post
    There are other cables that were run through the wall at time of construction so I assume there is a cavity.

What exactly do u mean here, are they run in the X. Y or Z axis?
    x = horz in wall
    y = vertical in wall
    z= through wall

When sky installed my HD+ box they drilled straight throught from outside and brought a cable through. I won't even be drilling to the external block.

Cavities are there for a reason, and its not for routing cables. Therefore, I wouldn't do it. But thats just me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Id rather look at a few unsightly wires and cables than be trying to solve a damp problem or even a structural problem in a few years time.

Dont fcuk around with the cavity wall.

Get a cable tidy,stick it on the wall and paint it the same colour as the wall itself.

Best and easiest way to do the routing of the wirers,cables.

If its going to be that much of an issue for you, then if it were me I'd chase the wall. Only way of doing it correctly imo.

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Sky dont give a ...k. The small print says if they hit a pipe/cable/etc its your problem.

I am assuming the OP has a cavity block wall : say 100mm block either side and the a 60mm cavity in between

This cavity could be filled with insulation so game over.

Even if not the cables could get fouled in a cable tie.

If the OP breaches the cavity the crap from the drilling/hacking/etc will fall down on to the dpc and act as a bridge for damp

OP re this bit in your first post
    There are other cables that were run through the wall at time of construction so I assume there is a cavity.

What exactly do u mean here, are they run in the X. Y or Z axis?
    x = horz in wall
    y = vertical in wall
    z= through wall

The cable is for wall lights. The cable runs inside the cavity and comes out of the wall to connect to light bulb.

I was intending on drilling a large enough hole to pass a couple of cables through using a cable fish to bring them down against the side of the wall,, in between that and insulation ... bring them out the bottom.

What tool would I use to chase if I did that instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

The cable is for wall lights. The cable runs inside the cavity and comes out of the wall to connect to light bulb.

I was intending on drilling a large enough hole to pass a couple of cables through using a cable fish to bring them down against the side of the wall,, in between that and insulation ... bring them out the bottom.

What tool would I use to chase if I did that instead?

Are 100% sure of this and that it not in a conduit chased in wall

curved chisel on a mid size 'kango'

Depending on how dusty you like it you could get a grinder and a diamond disc and cut two tracks in the wall to chip out. Cleaner lines in the wall, but dustier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Nice bit of cruved trunking do the job.

Trunking

Think ill just do the trunking option. The thought of the amount of dust is putting me off chasing...

Thanks for all the input.

I assume with normal plasterboard (internal walls running the cable in between isn't an issue? (I have upstairs TV to cable still)

Cheers,
    X

Advertisement