Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Highland Cattle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 manbearpig

I have some.

They are very hardy and will eat anything.

The crush is no problem to them, you'd be amazed the gaps they will get through and they know exactly what length those horns are!

I don't know what market there would be as finished weights would be on the low side as they are light framed but this makes them ideal for poor/wet ground.

MBP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

manbearpig wrote: »
    I have some.

They are very hardy and will eat anything.

The crush is no problem to them, you'd be amazed the gaps they will get through and they know exactly what length those horns are!

I don't know what market there would be as finished weights would be on the low side as they are light framed but this makes them ideal for poor/wet ground.

MBP
    Cheers MBP
    They sound like they'd suit our land, a good few areas of bottoms covered in rushes.
    What are the bull temperments like? Again I've read a good few articles saying the are very docile but would like to have first hand experience.
    Finished weights wouldn't bother me too much at the moment, I've had to emmigrate for the time being so the father is looking after things. He's retired and doing it purely because he enjoys it. Every animal he has ends up bucket fed and like a pet. When (if) I return home I'd just look at getting in to something of a niche market if I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

less fat generally equals less flavour though. screw low fat tasteless meat :) have a rib eye once a month instead.

:)

JohnBoy wrote: »
    less fat generally equals less flavour though. screw low fat tasteless meat :) have a rib eye once a month instead.

:)

I'd agree with that too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

mmmm aldi specially selected rib eye.....

mmmmmmm

Friday night is steak night people.

• Advertisement

Suckler wrote: »
    Cheers MBP
    They sound like they'd suit our land, a good few areas of bottoms covered in rushes.
    What are the bull temperments like? Again I've read a good few articles saying the are very docile but would like to have first hand experience.
    Finished weights wouldn't bother me too much at the moment, I've had to emmigrate for the time being so the father is looking after things. He's retired and doing it purely because he enjoys it. Every animal he has ends up bucket fed and like a pet. When (if) I return home I'd just look at getting in to something of a niche market if I could.

If they will be bucket fed there will be no problem but left to their own devices they do have a tendency to become wild (like any cattle).

A lot of this comes from the hair covering their eyes and obstructing vision and making it easier to startle them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

hi sucker i saw a neighbour with them very nice cattle but i know it part of the breed but i dont like the horns. could a man have them without horns or would it not look right. you would have to outwinter because they would sweat a lot inside with the long hair and you would have a very big problem with lice.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

no fat no taste also all meat should cook in its own fat. it is hard to beat the black polly killing them now for 30 years

no fat no taste also all meat should cook in its own fat. it is hard to beat the black polly killing them now for 30 years

I'd agreet to a point. I've had some met where before It's a chore to separate the fat from the meat. Roast joints always require that extra bit of fat to enhance flavour. However, this leads to higher levels of saturate fat.

We killed a 18 month old bull for our own use and it tastes very good indeed.

There is not a huge amount of fat on the outside of the meat but it is well marbled.

Everyone has their favorite and mine would be Hereford heifer beef hung for the 3 weeks but i would be interested to try a Highland heifer! mmmmmmm

MBP

• Advertisement
Advertisement