Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God dammit Steam!!!

Options
  • 22-03-2011 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone any idea how long it takes these clowns to get back to you on a p/w reset issue?

It's not accepting my p/w and when I try to use the automated "retrieve lost account" the question for the "secret answer" is "what did customer support last change your p/w to?"

W.T.F. if I knew that....

So I logged a call yesterday at 6pm & still no response. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Games

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

If you get a response from Steam support on pretty much any matter within 24 hours then you're doing well!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Ehhh, i changed my steam password myself the day before yesterday, took 5 mins

It's an automated procedure, if you click forgot password, and can answer your Secret Question / D.O.B / Correct Username etc it should send an email with link to the associated email address with instructions

Someone was apparently trying to access my account so I changed it incase

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

tman wrote: »
    If you get a response from Steam support on pretty much any matter within 24 hours then you're doing well!

i had my email hacked. so i wanted to change passwords and email. took them 4 days to get back to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Ehhh,...
    Ehhh, I think you might have missed the part of my post that read:
    zulu wrote:
    ...when I try to use the automated "retrieve lost account" the question for the "secret answer" is "what did customer support last change your p/w to?"
    ...perhaps I should have spelt out that I didn't know my password. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Zulu wrote: »
    Ehhh, I think you might have missed the part of my post that read:

Do you have a hard copy of any of your Steam registered games (Half Life 2, Left 4 Dead etc)? If so make sure to include a picture of one or more of these games with the activation code to prove the account is yours.

I have heard that they can be quite slow to respond but thankfully I've never had to deal with them.

yea I do indeed (for some games) unfortunatly i bought a good few online - which is my problem - I can't access these at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Not to be particularly pedantic but your inability to remember your own password shouldn't really be a factor in your criticism of their support service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I've yet to have a positive experience with steam Support over the last 6/7 years since I first starting using Steam.
    Not once have they answered my problems within 24 hours (usually 2 days or so) and when they reply it's as if a robot replied for them and autoclosed the support ticket without answering your question. Really frustrating to deal with them.

For a company that have so many users they really should invest in their customer support. Hope you get it sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Has anyone any idea how long it takes these clowns to get back to you on a p/w reset issue?

It's not accepting my p/w and when I try to use the automated "retrieve lost account" the question for the "secret answer" is "what did customer support last change your p/w to?"
    Eh, eh, um, um, eh.... WTF???

You want to reset your password, so you retrieve your account?

How about you just reset your password? https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4988-DHXV-7272

• Advertisement

Please describe how I can log into Steam to change my password, without my password?

Steam log in offers two choices: Don't have an account - Create new account, or, Forgot your login info - Retrieve lost account.

The link you've offered assumes you have a steam icon in the system tray (ie: logged in).

Thanks though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Please describe how I can log into Steam to change my password, without my password?

Steam log in offers two choices: Don't have an account - Create new account, or, Forgot your login info - Retrieve lost account.

The link you've offered assumes you have a steam icon in the system tray (ie: logged in).

Thanks though.

You can reset your password as long as you know your username. I just did it there, and was emailed a verification code and secret question. Put those in, and it reset the password just fine.

edit, just saw you already had the secret question, so you probably already know that. What sort of a secret question is 'what did customer support last change your p/w to?' :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have you done a search of your emails to see what emails they have sent previously about password resets?

yea, suffice to say I no longer have the email they sent the last time (over a year ago, i think). If only i had it, I'd be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I had to do it once and I think it took a few hours at most. I've had to e-mail Steam about a few different things over the years and it usually takes a couple of days.

Hope you get sorted soon OP. As for forgetting your password. It can be easily done. I have autologin but for some reason it failed and I needed to type my obscure password that I'd create a few years previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have an idea:

- Start looking up Pizza places in Bellevue, WA till you get one that knows how to deliver to valve corp

- Order a pizza, and have them attach a letter regarding your unresolved ticket

- Mozzarella and guilt will rue the day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Nollog

Overheal wrote: »
    I have an idea:

- Start looking up Pizza places in Bellevue, WA till you get one that knows how to deliver to valve corp

- Order a pizza, and have them attach a letter regarding your unresolved ticket

- Mozzarella and guilt will rue the day

Now that's thinking outside the orange box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

W.T.F. if I knew that....

So I logged a call yesterday at 6pm & still no response. :(

Yeah this happened to me, and its annoying. I had an account before their was a 'secret answer', so the email meant nothing to me.

I'm afraid you have to wait until the steam guy sets this secret to something, they will then email you. I recommend changing it once you get back into your account to something easy to remember.

It took 3 days for me to get a reply. :( Steam seem understaffed for the amount of service they do, which really shouldn't be the case since Valve is estimated to make millions off of Steam each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the_syco wrote: »
    I have reset my password with this process. Seemed I didn't forget the password: my account had gotten hacked. It tooke about 2 weeks to get sorted. Password reset took me a few hours to do, when I last did it.

Advertisement