Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More RAM = more power?

Options
  • 22-03-2011 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I currently have 3GB of RAM and am thinking of upgrading to 4GB. I also have a 500w power supply. Would I need to get a better power suppy in order to use the new RAM or am I okay?

Also, if it's of any use, I have a 3GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770, one HDD and one DVD drive. I'm not sure how much power that's taking up.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

500w should be plenty for that (unless it's a bargain basement PSU)

I'm running a heck of a lot more than that (8GB, 4x hard drives and a thirsty 6950) on a 600w without any problems!

Bear in mind that most of the extra ram will be wasted if you have a 32bit OS...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ger101

tman wrote: »
    500w should be plenty for that (unless it's a bargain basement PSU)

I'm running a heck of a lot more than that (8GB, 4x hard drives and a thirsty 6950) on a 600w without any problems!

Bear in mind that most of the extra ram will be wasted if you have a 32bit OS...

Ah, that's great! Thanks!

I have a 64-bit OS, btw, So I'm sorted there, lol.

Advertisement