Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus - Refund

Options
  • 22-03-2011 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi,

we had 2 tickets to travel with Aer Lingus - and due to health reasons (cert issued) was unfit to travel. I noticed last night on Aer Lingus website that they refund the tax&charges - however they have a Refund Admin fee @ €20 per person per one-way trip. Am I correct then then of the 110.10 that we paid in taxs, we will only get 30.10 back as 2 people * 20 euro * 2 trips = 80 euro? Rand Aer Lingus to cancel (3 weeks ago) and still not a cent refunded...

Any frequent traveller know what the situation is here?

BTW - they didn;t issue a cancellation notice for my insurance!

Peadar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭f100zardoz

My wife and her three sisters booked return flights to new york in December to fly out on the 21st of march. On Christmas week my wife lost her job and rang today to cancel her flight. She was told that she will get refunded approx 40 euro from the 524 euro she paid. I got onto the phone to complain to be told this was part of the aggreed contract. This is a rip off plain and simple. If they resell that seat they will have got over 1000 euro for it. I feel a partial refund or some kind of credit would be the apropiate. Did you have any luck with your situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pazza

Hi f100zardoz, sorry for your predicament (flights and wifes job) - I didn't get anything from Aer Lingus, just the same "thats the contract you agreed to.." sort of stuff.

I suppose you live and learn. next time i'll make sure I am insured when booking the flights. To avoid being ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

f100zardoz wrote: »
    I suppose you live and learn. next time i'll make sure I am insured when booking the flights. To avoid being ripped off.

How would travel insurance stop you being 'ripped off'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

If they resell that seat they will have got over 1000 euro for it. I feel a partial refund or some kind of credit would be the apropiate.
    What if they don't sell the seat? Would you still expect a credit or partial refund? It's unfortunate but they are trying to run a business and would be inundated with people looking for credits/refunds if they were to operate that type of system.

• Advertisement

The person i got through to in aer lingus asked me if i had insurance? I'm not sure what type he was talking about but next time i'm booking flights I will enquire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

The person i got through to in aer lingus asked me if i had insurance? I'm not sure what type he was talking about but next time i'm booking flights I will enquire.

Certain travel insurances can cover for circumstances like your own, (check the really fine print!) but if you think Aer Lingus is ripping you off, the insurance that you have paid for does not mean that its no longer a rip off, it just means that you insured yourself in advance.

If your wife voluntarily cancelled her flight, i would be happy with whatever refund you have been offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

If you agree to a contract where any refund of taxes is subject to an admin charge, you cannot accuse anyone of ripping you off when they levy it.

Homer wrote: »
    What if they don't sell the seat? Would you still expect a credit or partial refund? It's unfortunate but they are trying to run a business and would be inundated with people looking for credits/refunds if they were to operate that type of system.

I think it would be fair to say that 90% of flights booked are not cancelled.
    To keep the entire cost of the flight is a rip off. I would suggest that in certain circumstances or if given enough notice they issue either a partial refund or some sort of a credit {by issuing a credit they are guaranteed the business}. In both cases they win as they can still sell the seat. After all it was 'Customer services' that I rang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

My wife and her three sisters booked return flights to new york in December to fly out on the 21st of march. On Christmas week my wife lost her job and rang today to cancel her flight. She was told that she will get refunded approx 40 euro from the 524 euro she paid. I got onto the phone to complain to be told this was part of the aggreed contract. This is a rip off plain and simple. If they resell that seat they will have got over 1000 euro for it. I feel a partial refund or some kind of credit would be the apropiate. Did you have any luck with your situation?

But when booking with aer lingus you have options. Pay €xx for a restricted no refund ticket or pay €yy for an unrestricted ticket that offers full refund.

If you pick the lower price, you have to abide by the fairly well documented terms & conditions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement