Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blank Blue screen at start up XP SP3

• 22-03-2011 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, Hoping for a bit of help from some people more cleverererer than I.

I have a user here on XP sp3 and when booting up getting a blank blue screen with just the cursor. No ctrl alt del commands are working. The cursor moves and that's it.

I've booted into safe mode and ran Malware Bytes and tries disabling all start up items in turn to see if there was somethig there causing it but no joy.

Unfortunately it's an IBM PC with no CD drive so when I went to run a windows repair I had to use an external CD drive which should have been fine except when I boot from CD nothing happens. The deisc starts turning but it doesn't load. I checked the CD and drive on my own PC and it works fine.

Basically now I ave the user working in safe mode and I can't run a repair on his OS.

Any ideas? Much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 InsightTech

You may want to try checking some of the software you have running isnt causing this problem.

Try this option, MSconfig.

All this will do is allow you to see what programs are loaded into memory when your PC starts up.
    You can choose which programs to allow and which to remove.
    Removing programs from your startup sequence will not delete them from your PC, just stop them loading on boot up.

Try this guide:-

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_xp.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

NothingMan wrote: »
    I've booted into safe mode and ran Malware Bytes and tried disabling all start up items in turn to see if there was somethig there causing it but no joy.
    You may want to try checking some of the software you have running isnt causing this problem.

Try this option, MSconfig.

All this will do is allow you to see what programs are loaded into memory when your PC starts up.
    You can choose which programs to allow and which to remove.
    Removing programs from your startup sequence will not delete them from your PC, just stop them loading on boot up.

Try this guide:-

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_xp.html

Already tried that but made no difference. Thanks though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

Try removing the ram, putting it back in and booting normally

If that doesnt work copy the disc files to a usb stick and see if it will boot into the repair from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

denballs wrote: »
    Try removing the ram, putting it back in and booting normally

If that doesnt work copy the disc files to a usb stick and see if it will boot into the repair from it.

Creating a bootable USB stick is a bit of a nightmare and I don't really want to go down that root if I don't have to, but I may. I don't see how reseating the RAM will help as safe mode is fine but it's worth a try, it may flush out something.

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

....pulling the ram....tends to reset some things......

as for makeing a usb boot disc......it may be hard with xp, but with windows 7 all you do is extract the iso to the usb,s root and boot it....

I cant remember cause its been a while since ive tried but cant you install windows from inside safe mode, and if not, maybe try get a usb version of some linux for free if you want to use something other then xp,s safe mode, but dont want to go to the bother of makeing an xp usb boot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement