Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card died, what to replace it with?

Options
  • 22-03-2011 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

My graphics card went belly up the other day.

I havent kept up t speed with cards in a long time so just looking for advice on what to get now.

It just needs to run games like warcraft, dragon age, dawn of war 2 ....

Any recommendations on a card to run the stuff?
    Hopefully something as in-expensive as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its nVidia, this may be relevant: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055805374

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Looks good, will give it a try.
    The card that died is a 9800gtx, it just went wonky in the middle of playing dragon age 2. Lines everywhere, parts of the screen just not showing, others overlapping others and the machine cant boot into windows with te card in.

I will read up on the baking and give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

Dragon Age 2
    System Requirements* GD Hardware Rating Diff Intel Processor- Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz star6.png Login to compare your CPU AMD Processor- Phenom II X3 720 Nvidia Graphics Card- GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB star5.png Login to compare your GFX Card ATI Graphics Card- Radeon HD 3800 series RAM (Memory)- 4 GB Hard Disk Space- 7 GB Direct X- 9

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Um... what? :confused:

nvidia 8800 gtx 512 MB or better

graphics card support need about 400 watts

Radeon HD 3800 or better

graphics card support need about 400 watts

world warcraft needs 2GB RAM

Dragon Age need 2GB RAM

Dragon Age 2 need 4GB RAM

Dawn of Age 2 need 2GB RAM

world warcraft is biggest and needs around 25 GB of storage space to support all 4 games then more updates every month i know because i play world warcraft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Give baking a shot before you buy one anyway, i had similar problems with mine before it died and baking it fixed it (for a few months).

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
    System Requirements* GD Hardware Rating Diff Intel Processor- Pentium D 3.0GHz star2.png Login to compare your CPU AMD Processor- Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core TK-53 Nvidia Graphics Card- GeForce 8600 GT star3.png Login to compare your GFX Card ATI Graphics Card- Radeon HD 2600 XT RAM (Memory)- 2 GB Hard Disk Space- 25 GB

* Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista SP1
    * AMD Athlon 64×2 4400+ or any Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 2 GB RAM (XP and Vista)
    * A 256MB Video Card (Shader Model 3) - Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT / ATI X1900, or equivalent
    * 5.5 GB of Hard Drive space

• CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.4Ghz or greater
    • AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8Ghz or greater
    • RAM: 1GB or more
    • Video: ATI Radeon X850 128MB or greater
    • NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MB or greater
    • DVD ROM (Physical copy)
    • 20 GB HD space

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    Dragon Age 2
    System Requirements* GD Hardware Rating Diff Intel Processor- Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz star6.png Login to compare your CPU AMD Processor- Phenom II X3 720 Nvidia Graphics Card- GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB star5.png Login to compare your GFX Card ATI Graphics Card- Radeon HD 3800 series RAM (Memory)- 4 GB Hard Disk Space- 7 GB Direct X- 9

I tried the dragon age 2 demo and it actually gives your the option of using directx 9 OR 11. never seen a game give you a choice before. Nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I know the sys requirements of the games man, but i like to run games full settings so i see every sparkle and flash, lol. Usually those sys requirements wont run games on full settings perfectly.

But sure anyways, the baking worked perfectly.
    Twas a 9800gtx thats now alive and kicking again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

It really depends on what games and, more importantly, the resolution of your monitor. A 9800GTX (aka 8800GTS, 8800GTX, GTS250, GTS450... you get the idea) might struggle with new and/or very demanding titles at 1080p, but at resolutions under Full HD it can run 99% of stuff maxed out :)

Advertisement