Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to explain my surgery to a 2 year old??

Options
  • 22-03-2011 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have to have surgery this week and it will mean I will be out of action for 6-8 weeks.
    I have a little boy who will be 2 in a couple of weeks and I am dreading how this is going to affect him. My hubby is brilliant but he will have to do everything for him.
    I won't be able to play with him, change his nappy or do anything! :(
    The surgery will be on my stomach area so I won't even be able to cuddle him! Does anyone have experience of this? Any suggestions on how I can make things easier for everyone throughout this time and interact with my little boy - from the couch??
    I'm so sad thinking about it. I hope my little boy won't think I've abandoned him!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

You are just going to have to with is Dad explain that Mammy has an ouch and needs to be minded.
    You can pick a teddy or a toy and nominate them to have an ouch before hand and mind 'teddy' and show how teddy has
    to rest and not do things cos poor teddy has an ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

The irish cancer society do a booklet about talking to children about illness/cancer etc... Maybe if you could get a copy of this (it might be available online if you look) you could use some of the techniques and methods in the booklet to help with your little fella?

Hope the surgery goes well and wishing you a speedy recovery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

You have to explain it to him in such a way that he understands. The ouch suggestion is exactly how to do it. Give him a visual, and a plaster on his teddy as to where your surgery will be. He'll be fine.

As for cuddles... you just can't be going with out some for of affection, a cuddle from your child just takes all your cares away, even if it's just for a few seconds. Try to find a short term alternative, like rubbing hand or rubbing noses. He will need to have some comfort from you, and you will from him too!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Realise that at that age (and indeed older) that sometimes things are forgotten and he may be tempted to be brash occasionally. You might need to protect yourself somewhat. Will there be someone to mind you or him at all times?

You might need to work out how to deal with "Mummy pick me up" moments.

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Luckily my hubby or his mother will be at home with me at all times my little man is there. I love the idea of a plaster on his teddy (Mickey Mouse!!) and rubbing noses too, and telling him about mummy's ouch!
    I'll have a look at the cancer.ie link too for suggestions.
    Luckily it's nothing too serious for us. God bless anyone who has to deal with illness in a more traumatic environment.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

bubbaloo wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. Luckily my hubby or his mother will be at home with me at all times my little man is there. I love the idea of a plaster on his teddy (Mickey Mouse!!) and rubbing noses too, and telling him about mummy's ouch!
    I'll have a look at the cancer.ie link too for suggestions.
    Luckily it's nothing too serious for us. God bless anyone who has to deal with illness in a more traumatic environment.
    Thanks again.

Good luck, and sure you'll be back on your feet in no time, and before you know it, it'll be his first day at school ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I had a caesarian section last Sept when my son was just gone two. Obviously there was the whole new baby thing to deal with over my condition, so it didn't really come into it too much. I wasn't able to lift him too much when I was at the end of the pregnancy anyway, but there used to be times when he'd say "carry" and I'd just say mammy can't carry you now but I would sit on the sofa and have a cuddle instead.

I had my appendix out after Christmas (lucky few months I know) but that was via keyhole surgery so not as bad as the section but still there was a few days that I was quite tender and we had to stop him from jumping around me and I couldn't even manage cuddling the 3 mth old let alone 2 year old.

But with the section it was really only around 10 days that I had to be REALLY careful with him. Once that was over I was more comfortable sitting with him on the sofa that he wouldn't hurt me etc.

I didn't drive for the recommended 6 weeks after the section, but at that 6 weeks I went to the zoo with teh family and at 8 weeks a holiday in the Canaries, so the worst of the recovery is at the start and you'd be surprised how much better it gets. Obviously your surgery mgiht be dramatically different but that's just my experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Thanks Lashing Lady.
    Sadly I've been through this surgery before and I know what the recovery is like - which makes it worse !! Ha ha!!
    It is like a c-section multiplied by a million!
    I had my little boy by caesarean and I have to say it didn't bother me one bit - you just have to get on with it, don't you!
    But this is different and it's a long painful 6 weeks!
    Anyway, thanks for the kind words and hope you're over your appendix surgery. And congrats on having your little ones!

Advertisement