Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick query about training for my first Half IronMan

• 22-03-2011 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

hi guys
    My main sport is swmming, but I do a triathlon to help my general fitness every year, usually the olympic distance event. I usually do the Joey, sometimes the Hell of the west and have done others eg Dublin City, Sligo sprint etc. This year for a challenge I will be doing the half ironman in galway. I usually do the Olympic distance (Olympic: 1.5Kswim, 40k cycle and a 10K run) in about 2.55. The Half Ironman is a 2K swim, 90K cycle, and a 21K run, so by my calculation its a bit more than twice the total distance of an olympic.
    Just wandering:
    What would a rule of thumb time calculation be for completing the half ironman in if you usually do the olympic in 2.55? Im guessing you dont just multipy by two as you have to factor in tiredness. Would around 6.15 sound about right?
    (I did a half ironman over 20 yrs ago - Sligo - in 5.10, but I was a lot fitter then!)
    Also, I dont have tri bars on my bike, would you recommend getting these?
    thanks for any feedback on either query guys!
    cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The thread here might help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Tri bars would be a big help in the Galway race, apart from a few kilometres at the start it is relatively flat so you will be in the aero position a good bit.

As regards your times how long is a piece of string, if you havent done the training it is impossible to predict your time accurately off your Olympic distance. With a 5.10 tucked behind you from a good few years back you should have a fair idea of whats involved

If its any help I did a 2.47ish Olympic last year which I had hoped would get me under 6 hours in the 1/2, I was well on course to dip easily under 6 but blew up big time on the run to come in at 6.17. I finished the run in around 2.26 off a pb of 1.44 but I actually blame the bike for my downfall as I was flying on the bike I just got over excited and pushed too hard leaving me with nothing for the run

Advertisement