Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

play.com - Wrong item delivered, now they say its too late

Options
  • 22-03-2011 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi all,

At the end of August 2010 I placed an order with play.com for a James Bond DVD collection. It cost 50 euro. When I received the package from play.com i found The Stargate SG1 dvd collection inside, which play.com sell for 180 euro.

I emailed them and rang them, and was told that a courier would pick it up on a Monday. I had the package ready but no courier ever came. I emailed them in mid October but got no reply.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago, It popped into my head that I still hadnt got the right dvd's from play.com. I emailed them and they told me that now that over 6 months have passed, they wouldnt be accepting a return and refunding/replacing the dvd's.

I admit that I forgot about the whole thing for a few months, but surely I have a right to compensation (a refund at this stage) as I have upheld my part of the contract by paying for the dvd's and the fault is on their side for not supplying the correct goods.

So, should I keep pressing them to take back the wrong dvd's and refund me, or is the law on their side?

EDIT: Here's their email
    Thank you for your email regarding James Bond Collection Box Set (42
    Discs).

We are extremely sorry to hear that you have received an incorrect item.

Unfortunately, we regret to inform you that we are not able to arrange a
    collection for the item (as previously adviced on the last e-mail from us)
    as you are residing outside UK. In addition to that, it has been 6 months
    since the last communication was made and it saddens us more to inform you
    that we are no longer able to accept the item due to being overdue with
    regard to our returns policy.

We understand that this letter would raise more frustration on your end
    but the discretionary powers we operate as managers are only available
    concerning matters in which Play.com has failed to provide the standard of
    service or quality of performance it expects to. In cases such as this,
    which concern clear cases of company policy, we are not able to go against
    them in order to bring about the desired resolution.

We hope that this information is of some help to you. Once again, please
    accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience this matter has caused
    you and thank you for your patience and valued custom.

Kind Regards,

Customer Care Team
    Play.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I'm pretty sure you can make a case to have them take it back (not under their returns policy, but under Sale of Goods 1980) but why don't you just sell it? I see they've gone on ebay for €120+. I would argue that you were morally obliged to send it back to them before but now that they don't want it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

+1

I'd defo give you 50e for the Stargate set anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

noodler wrote: »
    +1

I'd defo give you 50e for the Stargate set anyway.

+2
    next in line:)

OP

put an ad on adverts or ebay,surely you will receive more than 50 yoyos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dkmedia

I took ye're advice, i put it on ebay for 120 buy it now :eek:, and bids starting @ 100.

I'll see how it does, if ebay fails i'll put it on Adverts. Might as well give it a shot on ebay first.

I really didn't think there would be much chance of selling it tbh until I took a look at ebay.

Play.com might have ended up doing me a favour :D

Its still in its original packaging an all, i didnt bother even opening it.

+2
    next in line:)

OP

put an ad on adverts or ebay,surely you will receive more than 50 yoyos

Hey, don't salt my game!

• Advertisement

dkmedia wrote: »
    I took ye're advice, i put it on ebay for 120 buy it now :eek:, and bids starting @ 100.

I'll see how it does, if ebay fails i'll put it on Adverts. Might as well give it a shot on ebay first.

I really didn't think there would be much chance of selling it tbh until I took a look at ebay.

Play.com might have ended up doing me a favour :D

Its still in its original packaging an all, i didnt bother even opening it.

Could you give us a link to the one you have? I am assuming it is the one minus the movies (just series 1-10). Not sure if it is available anymore (looks massive as well).

Amazon are selling it now with the movies in what looks like new packaging for around 144GBP. So I see no reason not ask for 100e at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dkmedia

noodler wrote: »
    Could you give us a link to the one you have? I am assuming it is the one minus the movies (just series 1-10). Not sure if it is available anymore (looks massive as well).

Amazon are selling it now with the movies in what looks like new packaging for around 144GBP. So I see no reason not ask for 100e at least.

Ebay link

Play.com link

Thanks, it is the new one.

It is 165 euros brand new and delivered on Amazon so I'd say you have priced it fine considering it is unopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

In fairness to play in over 5 years I've only had two problems one wrong item (higher cost than wanted item) and one non delivery. Non delivery was no problem waited 30 days and they re-posted item which arrived. The mistaken item I was allowed to keep if I wished and I could simply reorder, luckily for me I did want the mistaken item.

Game, gamestop or else where might buy it off you, as postage here in ireland might rack up the price for someone buying it from you on ebay. Hell even if you only make a tenner on top of your €50 sure arn't you laughing.

Advertisement